Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Rodgers in or out?

Rodgers in or out?   

656 members have voted

1. 1. In or Out?

The issues I have with him is more that he doesn't really seem to ever attempt to fix the most obvious issues with our squad but more importantly all the rubbish that he talks about the club in the media. 

He must have messed with some of the player's heads when he kept going on about a summer rebuild (only to bring no one in) and how we aren't even top 8 quality in terms of finances and how our squad can't match up to the top 6. Even if what he said is true we should never be mentally setting limits for how high we can achieve.

Then I remember him losing his shit at our squad for playing with too much of a high tempo when we were 3 goals up against West Brom. My only question is if thats what he has been saying in public imagine all the perplexing mind fvckers he drops behind closed doors.

His subsitions also cost us games so often. The worst offender was a few seasons back where Fofana got injured against Tottenham when we lost 4-2 in the game that cost us Champions league football. The obvious decision to make was to sub Fofana off for Amartey and keep Ndidi in his CDM role. He then went on to sub on Mendy for Fofana and put Ndidi at center back?!?!?!?! Which made us go on to lose the game since after that we got outran in the midfield.

(If you look at Fbref Mendy is objectively one of the worst players in the league he scores in the bottom 10th percentile in the league in nearly all stats apart from short passing and below average ball carrying he should have been dumped ages ago) Norwich's starting midfielders recorded MUCH better stats and their team only recorded 22 points all of last season.

In fact on the subject of having a quick look at our players on Fbref. We are objectively carrying some of the worst players in the league in our squad. Albrighton, Mendy, Choudhury, Amartey, Bertrand and Vestegaard have abysmal stats that would put them below players that started for Norwich last year in the same positions as them. A team that only managed 22 points.

McLean Norwich midfielder vs Mendy

1038012672_Screenshot2022-08-13210025.png.9e7b62188ebd23671bdea773c2da68e8.png

399993337_Screenshot2022-08-13210237.png.ba09b34af5815e05f91f89df68f42bcb.png

The reason I mention the above is due to the fact that the recruitment has been ran by the person he picked for the last 3 years so the blame falls on his door for either not identifiying anyone good enough to replace the above or buying terrible players like Bertrand, Vestagaard, Soumare and Perez who just made things worse.

Truth be told for these reasons I have been silently out since the Forest game. The only reason I would be reluctant to pull the trigger is since I don't really know who we could find that is better. We need to be urgent though whatever we do if we have another shit season. The likes of Maddison, Fofana, Tielemans, Castange and Barnes will be gone. Then we will have a huge rebuild on our hands when we haven't really got the money or any faith in the recruitment team to carry that out.

Not fixing the obvious is fine for a season or two but eventually other teams catch on and start using your weaknesses against you. Look at Brentford last week how they targetted Amartey in attack and Today how Arsenal scored another set piece.

Edited by Fightforever
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Southampton and Villa - if he loses those, then I'll be in the out camp. I get today was a rejuvenated Arsenal, who are on an upward trajectory and we're still in the transfer window. Some things are out of his hands but those two teams are ones we should beat. Our midfield and forward options are much better. 

I agree as on paper our team is strong but mentality weak,  which comes  from the manager’s expectations. We finished above these for 2 seasons running with a very similar squad to now and they not that much stronger than then, difference is they have a proper manager and  not the Bluffer that is Rodgers! 

1 minute ago, winteriscoming said:

Get rid. New ideas and approach needed. I want us to get Marco Rose. 

Agree. Get him gone. For me he doesn't want to be here, he suggested he wouldn't go to war with the club, but every interview seems a dig.

His sanctions on transfers, perez, doesn't seem to trust anymore, vestergaard, Bertrand, soumare barely used and useless when they are.

Insistence on 5 atb when it's never worked under him, excuses for everything but never accepts any blame. Chucked the players index a bus after the cup game, can't blame them for not being bothered now.

New voice and fresh ideas Definitely required.

• Like 4

On the fence leaning towards out but who can we get who’s going to want to come if we have no spending clout?

Graham Potter is one I’d like to replace Brendan but can’t see him leaving Brighton at the moment, Poch maybe but he’s another that would demand signings it just beggars belief that Brendan got us playing superb football to indecisive football with a total lack of oomph !!

Wouldn't be against sticking him on gardening leave

Either someone else comes in for him later down the line and we could possibly even get some compensation for him, or we can pay him off later when our finances aren't quite so restricted

Edited by moore_94

29 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

The issues I have with him is more that he doesn't really seem to ever attempt to fix the most obvious issues with our squad but more importantly all the rubbish that he talks about the club in the media. 

He must have messed with some of the player's heads when he kept going on about a summer rebuild (only to bring no one in) and how we aren't even top 8 quality in terms of finances and how our squad can't match up to the top 6. Even if what he said is true we should never be mentally setting limits for how high we can achieve.

Then I remember him losing his shit at our squad for playing with too much of a high tempo when we were 3 goals up against West Brom. My only question is if thats what he has been saying in public imagine all the perplexing mind fvckers he drops behind closed doors.

His subsitions also cost us games so often. The worst offender was a few seasons back where Fofana got injured against Tottenham when we lost 4-2 in the game that cost us Champions league football. The obvious decision to make was to sub Fofana off for Amartey and keep Ndidi in his CDM role. He then went on to sub on Mendy for Fofana and put Ndidi at center back?!?!?!?! Which made us go on to lose the game since after that we got outran in the midfield.

(If you look at Fbref Mendy is objectively one of the worst players in the league he scores in the bottom 10th percentile in the league in nearly all stats apart from short passing and below average ball carrying he should have been dumped ages ago) Norwich's starting midfielders recorded MUCH better stats and their team only recorded 22 points all of last season.

In fact on the subject of having a quick look at our players on Fbref. We are objectively carrying some of the worst players in the league in our squad. Albrighton, Mendy, Choudhury, Amartey, Bertrand and Vestegaard have abysmal stats that would put them below players that started for Norwich last year in the same positions as them. A team that only managed 22 points.

McLean Norwich midfielder vs Mendy

1038012672_Screenshot2022-08-13210025.png.9e7b62188ebd23671bdea773c2da68e8.png

399993337_Screenshot2022-08-13210237.png.ba09b34af5815e05f91f89df68f42bcb.png

The reason I mention the above is due to the fact that the recruitment has been ran by the person he picked for the last 3 years so the blame falls on his door for either not identifiying anyone good enough to replace the above or buying terrible players like Bertrand, Vestagaard, Soumare and Perez who just made things worse.

Truth be told for these reasons I have been silently out since the Forest game. The only reason I would be reluctant to pull the trigger is since I don't really know who we could find that is better. We need to be urgent though whatever we do if we have another shit season. The likes of Maddison, Fofana, Tielemans, Castange and Barnes will be gone. Then we will have a huge rebuild on our hands when we haven't really got the money or any faith in the recruitment team to carry that out.

Not fixing the obvious is fine for a season or two but eventually other teams catch on and start using your weaknesses against you. Look at Brentford last week how they targetted Amartey in attack and Today how Arsenal scored another set piece.

I get it's not your whole point but Ndidi actually started at Centre Back at Genk. It was Alex McLeish who turned him into a midfielder only about a season or two before we signed him. And TBF to Rodgers on that similar point he got a lot of flak for putting Amartey at CB too (after he royally proved he wasn't a RB or DM) but that's where he played most of his career for his country and club career before Copenhagen. It was Ranieri and Puel who seemed reluctant to use him there.

It's not looking great for him but not everything he's done has been bad.

42 minutes ago, Shane said:

The right manager would put a positive spin on the current situation to galvanise and motivate the players and fans. ‘Yes we’ve made no signings, but we still have a strong squad and will prove the doubters wrong’.

Even if its not true, its better than the tripe Brendan has come out with. 

Let's face it, anything he says will be scrutinised to the nth degree. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

The most frustrating thing i found with claude was that when the so called better teams played us, we always looked like we’d given up before we started. I get the same feelings from brendan. 

Our best results against big sides have been when we’ve really gone at them and been fearless. 

Arsenal are a good side, but I really don’t think the gulf in class is as big as brendan has given them credit for today.  I want a fearless manager who would actually give it a go. Because i can tell you now, if it was us playing man u these first 2 weeks we would be losing because you just know we would give them too much respect because of who they are. 

It’s simply not the mentality that will make you challenge for more than is expected of you. 

I’m not sure that’s fair on Puel, in his last 10-12 games we beat Man City and Chelsea, drew at Anfield and played Spurs off the park. The problem was we couldn’t beat the teams around us (which for me is where the similarities with Rodgers today are).

That said Puel had a 31/32 year old Jamie Vardy to turn to for those big games. As he’s aged, Vardy has evolved from a player who had a superb record against the top 6 to one who is almost completely ineffective against them. That’s not Rodgers’s fault, although one might hope he would have noticed and thought about setting up differently given we have at least one (and possibly two) competent other striker(s) in the squad.

2 hours ago, iancognito said:

I get it's not your whole point but Ndidi actually started at Centre Back at Genk. It was Alex McLeish who turned him into a midfielder only about a season or two before we signed him. And TBF to Rodgers on that similar point he got a lot of flak for putting Amartey at CB too (after he royally proved he wasn't a RB or DM) but that's where he played most of his career for his country and club career before Copenhagen. It was Ranieri and Puel who seemed reluctant to use him there.

It's not looking great for him but not everything he's done has been bad.

I get that he played as one at Genk when he was a teenager but I think we both know that Ndidi is not a good center back. We conceded 14 goals in the 7 games he has played at center back.

As for the higlighted part. I will give him credit for ditching Puels obession with starting 2 CDMs and actually allowing our team to attack as well as actually improving some of our players but he inherited a team who's starting 11 was on par or if not better than those competing for top 4 at the time. This will be an unpopular opinion but it would have taken actual sabotage to not have finished 5th those two years.

Our starting 11 for the most part was compared to Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham or Man United much better.      

IMO out of those 5 starting 11s we easily had the best and most balanced at the time. I would only have had 2 or 3 of Chelseas players in our starting 11. None of Arsenal's. 2 or 3 of Tottenham's players and only 2 of Man united's.

On paper we easily had the 3rd best team for those 2 years so while I congratulate Rodgers for doing as well as he did I don't think its the miracle some on here make it out to be. He in my opinion at best is a 5.5/10 head coach who had an 8/10 squad.

Edited by Fightforever
Formatting

His narrative is rotten, difficult to have respect for anyone who never admits they have made a mistake. De Gea came out today with brutal honesty, can’t ever see Brendan pointing at himself. He’ll point fingers and make little comments about lack of signings / experience / needing to change his plans / choice of players / finances on and on until he finally does leave to protect his ego driven brand. He got lucky inheriting a squad which he was able to get playing in the formation he prefers but the last 18 months has been steady decline masked by a few results against real piss poor teams and some good European nights to keep fans somewhat onside. We could easily find our way sleepwalking towards a real dogfight this season and the squad doesn’t have the backbone for a scrap

1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:

Got to go, we are looking worse by the week and he continues to make basic errors with the formations, selections, subs etc.. the style of play is absolutely boring, no attacking threat what so ever.

We are the 5th highest scorers this year and have scored twice in both matches this season. How can you say there is no attacking threat, it is obvious that the defending is the big problem.

I think he’s starting to rot the club should be sacked for starting amartey again never mind everything else! clubs stale atm under Bodgers  we need fresh input and eyes I honestly think Bodgers doesn’t even know where he even wants to take us or the players he wants and needs to take us forward 

59 minutes ago, justfoxes said:

On the fence leaning towards out but who can we get who’s going to want to come if we have no spending clout?

Graham Potter is one I’d like to replace Brendan but can’t see him leaving Brighton at the moment, Poch maybe but he’s another that would demand signings it just beggars belief that Brendan got us playing superb football to indecisive football with a total lack of oomph !!

There is no way somebody like Poch would be an option with no transfer budget, even the likes of Potter and Frank would be unlikely. I think we would be looking at a Championship/foreign manager or somebody out of work.