Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
justfoxes

Post Southampton 1-2

Played well in the first half, possession with purpose, possession over the halfway line and in the final 3rd, albeit no shot's on target. 

Second half, started well, got a goal.

Then we went back to the football Brendan knows, loves and trust's.

The moment we went 1-0 up was the moment I knew we weren't winning the game.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 3

Didn't watch the game but sounded like (according to Darren Bent on SSN) that we were good value for our lead and we didn't really give Southampton a sniff. 

Then we shat ourselves when Southampton made subs and started to attack us. Seems like we have a real problem (amongst others) when teams ramp up the pressure and try to get back into the game - mentally we look shot at this stage and physically it sounds like we just run out of steam when pressure is piled on. Its like we lose all sense of getting basics right and that's coupled with making mistakes or losing concentration. 

• Like 2

Can someone clever about matters football please tell me wtf happened? I'm at a loss. How does a team control a game for such long periods of time, look utterly comfortable, deservedly get ahead and then forget entirely how to play the game and crumble. What happens to cause that?

Were Southampton simply sitting off us, packing their defence, letting us knock it about until they went behind and then they came at us? Did taking Perez off, and the resulting change of shape, really cause that much of a tactical difference?

We just cannot do the rough stuff. Any team that gets at us has got us beat. We fold all too easily. We can do knocking the ball about, we can look good with our movement and passing, but we lose belief so quickly and easily. I don't know why any team doesn't simply get at us from the word go (as Forest did) We've no idea how to respond to that type of game. It's been going on for years (that soft under belly) and it doesn't seem to be getting addressed.

Edited by taupe

24 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

That second half performance was beyond embarrassing. Completely fell off a cliff after taking the lead for the second home game running. We're absolutely in a relegation battle as things stand. 

The failure to invest any funds in the team was inevitably going to lead to a downward spiral on the pitch, accompanied by apathy in the stands. That is what we have now, sadly. All very well saying we need to sack Rodgers but we won't get a good replacement as no decent manager will come to a club that is unwilling to back him in the transfer market. Really worrying times. 

The second half performances look as if BR just says sweet FA during half time just capitulate don’t worry I’ll just blame all of you nothing to do with me it’s the players fault they’re not doing it for me they’re making the mistakes la de la !!

Just now, RumbleFox said:

Really is time to make a change now. We need a new manager. Just to stop the rot. I don’t even dislike Brendan but his heart’s simply not in it. 

Pretty much how i feel. He has done well overall for us but its just time to break up like a teenage first love. Appreciate but recognize we are better off apart.

• Like 1

No intensity, aggression, desire or bottle. Completely unacceptable from the players today. We get in front and then have no game management. This is a talented squad with ability, but without the mentality to go with it. The malaise around the club at the moment is seeping into the squad, and it just has an air of we’ve won an FA Cup, that’s as good as it’s going to get here. I don’t see a drive or hunger there. The squad needs a freshen up, of that there is no doubt. It is most likely that happens next summer. Whether it’s Rodgers who is the one overseeing it remains to be seen. I think he’s done a phenomenal job, but today felt a little like the Palace game before Puel was sacked. I don’t think that’s coming at the moment, but I have to ask the question has he reached the end of his cycle here as well as some of the squad. If I was Fofana, Maddison or Tielemans, I’d probably be considering my future as well. Hopefully we avoid a banana skin at Stockport and take a bit of belief from that 

• Like 1

The subs made no difference at all, probably made it worse. 

After the subs the midfield looked dismantled. And less said about Amartey’s performance the better. 

Fitness levels don’t look good either. I’ll let Perez and Barnes off but the rest was shocking. 

2 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

Also, what the **** is going on fitness-wise? The players were knackered after an hour.

Fitness has **** all to do with recruitment btw Brendan 

Its been like this for years. The team has never looked like being able to perform beyond 60 mins but his defenders would have us believing we deserve worse. 

Typical Rodgers performance.
1st half didn’t look in any trouble but didn’t really create anything.

Got in front early in the 2nd half from a piece of individual skill. Then fall apart as soon as we get put under pressure.

That’s 2 home games against teams that are pretty much guaranteed to be bottom half and 1 point from them. Nowhere near good enough.

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

Why do you back him, it’s f**king idiotic to play Vardy upfront on his own from the start and don’t get me started on Amartey

It's only because I see us winning more matches playing 442. Our midfield in particular isn't supplying vardy nor is the fact we are lacking a RW and trying to fill that hole with maddison/perez/praet etc.

Can't blame BR totally because he's been crying out for a RW and ACM for the last few years and it appears he's being stonewalled by the top brass.