Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kierzz

New Manager? Who do you Want?

Just now, Guest said:

Granted we're not exactly catch of the day currently, and I agree that some of the common shouts (most notably Pochettino) are more than a little fanciful, but I do think any coach worth his salt would look at our team and fancy their chances of producing something with it. We're second bottom because the squad has been horrendously managed and had its confidence loudly and repeatedly shattered, not because it's a bad squad. If potential recruits were given assurances that keeping us up would see them backed next summer with a genuine refresh (i.e. not what ended up happening in the last window), I don't think it should be beyond us to attract some decent candidates - although, as you rightly say, our pulling power is being steadily eroded while Rodgers is allowed to carry on stinking the place out.

I agree with this in part.. I think our best bet of getting someone like you mentioned would be with a slightly better position and our best bet there is getting an interim in  until the end of the season To give them a platform  to do something with. The longer the lunacy of Rodgers goes on, the more likely the season will be spent  fighting relegation  and that’ll take a different approach and set up and most quality managers won’t want to spend a season fighting relegation.. they’ll want to work on the project with a clean slate…

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Not picking a fight or having a go, but what names would you suggest out of these managers "worth their salt"?

I won't pretend to know anywhere near enough about continental football/the current out of work managers scene to produce a shortlist. My confidence comes from my knowledge that this group of players is very obviously capable of far better than what they are currently producing and the many examples of average, poor or totally untested managers taking charge of underperforming teams and quickly inspiring tangible improvements.

There are depth and balance issues with the squad but I don't believe, to return to that phrase, that any manager worth their salt would look at it and think "well there's no way I could possibly avoid relegation with that". Nor do I believe that our survival in the short-term is dependent on us managing to snare a particularly great manager - I think just about anyone who isn't completely braindead would constitute a marked improvement at this point, primarily by virtue of not being Brendan Rodgers, and may even have said so previously in this very thread.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Guest said:

I won't pretend to know anywhere near enough about continental football/the current out of work managers scene to produce a shortlist. My confidence comes from my knowledge that this group of players is very obviously capable of far better than what they are currently producing and the many examples of average, poor or totally untested managers taking charge of underperforming teams and quickly inspiring tangible improvements.

There are depth and balance issues with the squad but I don't believe, to return to that phrase, that any manager worth their salt would look at it and think "well there's no way I could possibly avoid relegation with that". Nor do I believe that our survival in the short-term is dependent on us managing to snare a particularly great manager - I think just about anyone who isn't completely braindead would constitute a marked improvement at this point, primarily by virtue of not being Brendan Rodgers, and may even have said so previously in this very thread.

I appreciate the the response. As I say it wasn't argumentative.

You're all going to think I'm winding you up now, which is fine.

I'm firmly in the belief that we need a new manager.

But, let me ask you this...

What if the manager is perfect and all the players are shite? lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, tom27111 said:

Well hopefully we find that out one way or another before too long. It's certainly not beyond the realms of possibility that in the case of some players the drop off is actually down to things that are at least partially beyond the control of Rodgers and that his eventual replacement won't be able to do much about - age for Evans and Vardy, injury for Justin and Ndidi, burnout and the contract situation for Tielemans. Perhaps they have all become shit overnight, or maybe they were never any good to begin with, but I would much prefer to believe that they've collectively gone down the pan because they're tired of their wantaway bellend manager, mainly as the thought of a new manager coming in and everything still being shit depresses me and there's enough of that around as it is.

Steffen Baumgart at Cologne would be a fascinating choice. He's very passionate and the bloke wears a flat cap. Like a young Frank Burrows.

Cologne are having a decent start to the season.

He got Paderborn from the 3rd division of German football up to the Bundesliga so he's worked his way up.

1 hour ago, somebum said:

Big Sam until the end of the season, you may not like him but he will sort us out

He would get more out of these players. He's renowned for defensive stability not because he had world class defenders (he's made it work with very average defenders!), but because he knows how to set a team up to be hard to beat and he does so by simplifying players' roles and minimising risk. Him getting relegated with West Brom should not be held against him, that side didn't have anywhere enough quality to survive. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Steffen Baumgart at Cologne would be a fascinating choice. He's very passionate and the bloke wears a flat cap. Like a young Frank Burrows.

He got Paderborn from the 3rd division of German football up to the Bundesliga so he's worked his way up.

Another guy our board has a 0% chance of ever having heard of.

• Like 2

It's a nice fantasy to think about exciting overseas names but the likely candidates are:

Benitez

Dyche

Villas-Boas

Martinez

Koeman

Solskjaer

Because that's who Top, Rudkin and Whelan have heard of. It'd be good to consult our head of analytics with the task of finding names... oh wait, we don't have one.

• Like 1

Ranieri on a rolling-contract until the right man is available (if he isn't already).

He is a fire-fighter who has often gone into clubs and improved them in the short term, especially defensively. It would create an obvious, nostalgia fuelled, buzz amongst the fans, which is much needed at the minute. He's not perfect and he failed at Watford and Fulham, but they were cursed jobs anyway. All we need is someone to come in and inject some fight and positivity into this team, and I think he could do that for a few weeks.

The good thing about Ranieri as an interim is that there would be no danger of falling down the usual 'Shakespeare' trap of caretakers or interims, as it would be very clear to everyone that he's just a stop gap.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Ranieri on a rolling-contract until the right man is available (if he isn't already).

He is a fire-fighter who has often gone into clubs and improved them in the short term, especially defensively. It would create an obvious, nostalgia fuelled, buzz amongst the fans, which is much needed at the minute. He's not perfect and he failed at Watford and Fulham, but they were cursed jobs anyway. All we need is someone to come in and inject some fight and positivity into this team, and I think he could do that for a few weeks.

The good thing about Ranieri as an interim is that there would be no danger of falling down the usual 'Shakespeare' trap of caretakers or interims, as it would be very clear to everyone that he's just a stop gap.

Sorry, hadn't read your post properly. 

Edited by Spudulike

Just now, Spudulike said:

Fulham and Watford had the same idea. 

They felt like different scenarios though. Fulham had signed far too many players and had no real structure, whilst Watford are Watford, where managers are always just passing through.

Ranieri did decent short-term jobs at Roma and Sampdoria in between Fulham and Watford.

If he wasn't who he was then I would never suggest him, but his return would create such an immense buzz that it might be just the tonic we need in the short term. It could lift the dark clouds and inject some life into everyone, even if it was just for a few weeks.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 10:34, Htfox59 said:

Tip tip. His Brendan is amazingly funny. Kolo Toure is a beautiful human being. So he is.🤣

Bit of a legend Kolo Toure. During his trial at Arsenal, he started off by taking out Henry and Bergkamp, then finishing the training session by tackling Wenger two-footed...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tom27111 said:

....the players are quality, you just have to get them out of the mindset Rodgers has tried to trap them in!!!

Irrespective of the quality of Forest, you could see the thinking was different, and that was not down to Rodgers, else it would still have been there against Bournemouth and Palace. It was driven by the players.

It is a lot like the Game against Man. United with the 5 -3, we just decided to go for it and not to worry about what United brought. They could not contain us and that was how we should have played that season. We, however, went back to being cautious and it was only when we loosened the rope that we won 7 out of 9 games at the end of the season. We have had against Forest the way we should approach games, there is an immense quality here, we are talking ourselves down, due to one man's vision.

• Haha 1

On 17/10/2022 at 07:14, Ric Flair said:

Passhhuuuuun merchant. Bloke won't stick a jacket on to prove some sort of macho'ness.