Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kierzz

New Manager? Who do you Want?

5 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Kolo Toure

Are you angling for a job with Talk Sport?

Touré was a top player and must have winced at some of Rodgers's bullshit. He has his chance now to do it the way he wants to , we shall see. My best guess he has been telling Rodgers that his defensive tactics were clueless but getting overruled. My point is , you can read a thousand coaching manuals , watch ten thousand matches but unless you have been out there in top class football you will never know it properly. 

16 hours ago, STUHILL said:

I have voted for Dyche a few times, however, it would kind of put the final stamp on us from being a top 8 club pushing the big boys, to now being a survival club, content with just staying in the league. Not saying that is what the reality would be, but the perception would become that I am pretty sure and perceptions do matter in football, especially for attracting top players.

Sad times really. 

I get the "perception" thing and as you say it is important.

However, it wont be a perception but a stone cold fact when we start next season in the championship because of the teflon dwarf.

How easy is that gonna be to attract top/emerging talent then!

Dyche played the way he did with Burnley because playing any other way would have got them relegated earlier, Rodgers is doing right now what Dyche could have done but didn't so that his team lived to fight another day.

Burnley fans knew this and the vast majority loved the man for it.

He simply ran out of time with them.

No manager wants to play dull grind-it-out football, but what he did was to make the very best TEAM with quite honestly very limited resources.

The man deserves a chance to shine imo and if he decides he likes dull, boring football designed to keep us up then the only difference between him and Rodgers is that he keeps us up!

Edited by J. James

Have it on extremely good authority that if we sack BR, we have to pay him 10m. If he is ‘poached’, we get 20m. So the only likely solution for him to actually go is that a club comes in and we compromise. Or he grows some dignity and leaves. 

I’d welcome Mark McGhee back at this point-at least that Judas bastard didn’t screw the club in order to force a sacking.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Have it on extremely good authority that if we sack BR, we have to pay him 10m. If he is ‘poached’, we get 20m. So the only likely solution for him to actually go is that a club comes in and we compromise. Or he grows some dignity and leaves. 

I’d welcome Mark McGhee back at this point-at least that Judas bastard didn’t screw the club in order to force a sacking.

What club is watching what's going on here and thinking 'yeah, pay the £20m, get him in!'

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Top can afford 10 million and will pay it if he thinks relegation is all but certain with Rodgers in charge. The cost of relegation would be far greater!

I still think that if lose convincingly to Forest, then he will be finally sacked. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Touré was a top player and must have winced at some of Rodgers's bullshit. He has his chance now to do it the way he wants to , we shall see. My best guess he has been telling Rodgers that his defensive tactics were clueless but getting overruled. My point is , you can read a thousand coaching manuals , watch ten thousand matches but unless you have been out there in top class football you will never know it properly. 

Yeah you're clearly right, Arsenal players had no respect for Wenger.

You have no idea of how Toure felt about Rodgers' 'bullshit', he seemed happy to work with him for over five years.

12 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Yeah you're clearly right, Arsenal players had no respect for Wenger.

You have no idea of how Toure felt about Rodgers' 'bullshit', he seemed happy to work with him for over five years.

Money can keep your mouth shut. Personally , I was no fan of Wenger ,stubborn as hell and eventually disappeared up his own backside. Fergie used to love taking the piss.

3 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

This is ridiculous, Toure kicking a football about on a pitch at the top level would have a small bearing on his ability as a coach or manager. More likely listening and observing from top managers has helped him, as it does others. That's why you see some of the new youthful managers getting breaks partly on name recognition, partly yes also because they've played top level, but more likely because they've learnt from the best. Your Rodgers, Frank, Potter, AVB, Hodgson, Saachi... never had that, but didn't need it clearly. They might not have been talented enough to play at the top but, most people aren't, does that mean they'll never be qualified because they didn't play for Arsenal or whatever? No ofcourse not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedSoxUK said:

This is ridiculous, Toure kicking a football about on a pitch at the top level would have a small bearing on his ability as a coach or manager. More likely listening and observing from top managers has helped him, as it does others. That's why you see some of the new youthful managers getting breaks partly on name recognition, partly yes also because they've played top level, but more likely because they've learnt from the best. Your Rodgers, Frank, Potter, AVB, Hodgson, Saachi... never had that, but didn't need it clearly. They might not have been talented enough to play at the top but, most people aren't, does that mean they'll never be qualified because they didn't play for Arsenal or whatever? No ofcourse not.

I take your point but I have little idea of what a top manager is. They , with a few exceptions , always fail in the end. The sad part is supporters and unfortunately some owners still keep believing in them. Even Guardiola has always managed super rich clubs allowing him to assemble the best players. I would like to see him win the league with Blackpool and no money , then I will reassess.

• Like 1

I'd be interested in hearing peoples thoughts of Ralph Hasenhüttl, Thought he did well at Leipzig, and at times looked good at Southampton but ultimately they always came up short from expectations and often struggled when you'd think they should be playing better, curious as to whether people think it was mainly Ralph that was the issue, or the downward trajectory of Southampton due to selling and trying to replace on the cheap constantly.

At Leipzig he was quality in the transfer market, finding players like Naby Keita, Timo Werner, Kevin Kampl, Upamecano, Augustin, Brumer, Konrad Laimer, Ibahima Konate on a free. 
But at Southampton wasnt able to replicate those sorts of deals, and in fairness only spent 70m total in his 4 years at Southampton according to Transfermarkt. Che Adams being his most expensive signing and wasn't a bad signing by all means, definitely made back his 16m fee. 

I always like him, and when we first took a downward turn I would have taken Ralph if BR left, but now i'm not sure. Thoughts?

12 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I'd be interested in hearing peoples thoughts of Ralph Hasenhüttl, Thought he did well at Leipzig, and at times looked good at Southampton but ultimately they always came up short from expectations and often struggled when you'd think they should be playing better, curious as to whether people think it was mainly Ralph that was the issue, or the downward trajectory of Southampton due to selling and trying to replace on the cheap constantly.

At Leipzig he was quality in the transfer market, finding players like Naby Keita, Timo Werner, Kevin Kampl, Upamecano, Augustin, Brumer, Konrad Laimer, Ibahima Konate on a free. 
But at Southampton wasnt able to replicate those sorts of deals, and in fairness only spent 70m total in his 4 years at Southampton according to Transfermarkt. Che Adams being his most expensive signing and wasn't a bad signing by all means, definitely made back his 16m fee. 

I always like him, and when we first took a downward turn I would have taken Ralph if BR left, but now i'm not sure. Thoughts?

No think we need someone on a upward trajectory, not on the back of huge record defeats and a sacking.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AjcW said:

Did Glover and Ralf get on?

Just thinking if we're looking for a quick fix/prove yourself for 6 months type contract, wouldn't surprise me.

Not saying it's the best option by the way, just imagine he is still in the country, available without a release and probably desperate for another crack at this league.

...I just do not know why anyone would want Hassenhuttl at this club!!!

Much like the cry for Dyche,  it really should  not happen.

Have we not learned anything from taking players from Southampton.  If your team manages to equal the record in Premier league  defeat score lines, and do so twice in the space of a calendar year, we should want no part of it. Yet we have taken half of their defence, who are at present doing nothing and running up our wages bill, we are an astute club, we really are!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

I take your point but I have little idea of what a top manager is. They , with a few exceptions , always fail in the end. The sad part is supporters and unfortunately some owners still keep believing in them. Even Guardiola has always managed super rich clubs allowing him to assemble the best players. I would like to see him win the league with Blackpool and no money , then I will reassess.

...you have to understand that having the money to spend does not mean you could build a title winning team!!!

With the money comes players with big egos as well as being millionaires, you have to manage them, and that means letting them know you are in charge. Devising a pattern of play and getting them to adhere to it and when they win the title, getting them to reset and do it all over again.

If Pep went to Blackpool, the amount of talent that would gravitate to them to be trained by such an illustrious manager, would cause a complete imbalance in that league and it would be very easy to take them up through the divisions.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.

7 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I'd take Ralf over SD. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I just do not know why anyone would want Hassenhuttl at this club!!!

Much like the cry for Dyche,  it really should  not happen.

Have we not learned anything from taking players from Southampton.  If your team manages to equal the record in Premier league  defeat score lines, and do so twice in the space of a calendar year, we should want no part of it. Yet we have taken half of their defence, who are at present doing nothing and running up our wages bill, we are an astute club, we really are!!

Probably want to read what I said again...

I have listened to a couple of podcasts where players have spoken really highly of Dyche especially in relation to his man management which they say is first class. He isn’t everyone’s cup of tea and not the 1st choice from a purists point of view but I also doubt if he was to be appointed here that we would default to some sort of anti football either, I truly believe he adopted a style that fitted the resources available to him to achieve initially promotion to the premier league and then to survive in the premier league for a number of years, largely against the odds. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Probably want to read what I said again...

...re-read it again, you said:

Did Glover and Ralf get on?

Just thinking if we're looking for a quick fix/prove yourself for 6 months type contract, wouldn't surprise me.

Not saying it's the best option by the way, just imagine he is still in the country, available without a release and probably desperate for another crack at this league.

That indicates to me that you would be more than happy to have him here, even for 6 months.

We took Shakespeare on as an interim manager and ended up giving him a contract, then we ended up firing him in quick time and losing a very very good coach.

12 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...re-read it again, you said:

Did Glover and Ralf get on?

Not saying it's the best option by the way, just imagine he is still in the country, available without a release and probably desperate for another crack at this league.

That indicates to me that you would be more than happy to have him here, even for 6 months.

We took Shakespeare on as an interim manager and ended up giving him a contract, then we ended up firing him in quick time and losing a very very good coach.

I wouldn't be over the moon, but he's an available manager who fits our style more than some of the others do.

He was also a shoe in for the Man Utd job until Southampton fell off a cliff (not all his own causing lets be honest)

I don't think we've neccesseraly seen the best of what he can achieve in this league yet. 

He'd probably be about my 3rd choice right now, but often in the second half of a season a club will choose an interim who has existing links to someone in the club and who doesn't have to be paid to be released from a club.

I did actually used to rate Hassenhuttl, and think he did a good job at Southampton under the circumstances, but not convinced he's the right man for us. 

My list would probably be:

Dream Manager/Money No Object: Arne Slot

Realistic Manager: Potter if he gets binned by Chelsea

Bargain Basement: Dyche

• Like 1