Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kierzz

New Manager? Who do you Want?

Dyche on an 18 month contract is probably the most sensible choice. If the club is a mess, he is proven at getting results from a squad with weaker resources than others.

He played bland football with Burnley, but was limited with the players at his disposal. You never know, he might have more of a progressive style with better players. Howe was laughed at after "failing" with Bournemouth, but he went away and reinvented himself and it turns out he's a good or maybe even great manager. He could easily fail, but IMO he would have done a much better job than chancers like Lampard and Gerrard did with better resources.

• Like 4

On 10/01/2023 at 23:54, Guest said:

Ayoze player manager until the end of the season for me

Doris the tea lady has been watching Ted Lasso and she’s been giving Brendan a few tips on formations etc so I hear through the grapevine she’s in with a shout to takeover the City Hotseat 😉

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

Potter surely goes after that result. Is it beyond the realms of possibility that we get tonked by Forest and he's in here as early as next week? 😂

Is potter really the answer? Seems like more of the same, just not a massive cvnt like Rodgers. Look at what Fulham have. There are better options out there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chelmofox said:

Is potter really the answer? Seems like more of the same, just not a massive cvnt like Rodgers. Look at what Fulham have. There are better options out there. 

when Marco Silva was mentioned on here a few years back i think a fair few turned their noses up at him........

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Yeah I agree, Potter was always on my list as his job at Brighton was fantastic, but I wasn't sold on him going to Chelsea, and didn't think he would do much. 

Edited by cityfanlee23

13 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Dyche on an 18 month contract is probably the most sensible choice. If the club is a mess, he is proven at getting results from a squad with weaker resources than others.

He played bland football with Burnley, but was limited with the players at his disposal. You never know, he might have more of a progressive style with better players. Howe was laughed at after "failing" with Bournemouth, but he went away and reinvented himself and it turns out he's a good or maybe even great manager. He could easily fail, but IMO he would have done a much better job than chancers like Lampard and Gerrard did with better resources.

...Howe was always a good manager, he had a budget which after awhile, did not afford him any opportunity to improve his squad!!!

Not sure why people keep looking to Dyche to save us, he never sought to transition the way he played and there is nothing progressive about him.

We need to get this period right, we need to improve the squad and more importantly need Khun Top to sort out his family problems so he can put in a coherent plan for our development. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

It's definitely a massive stretch to say you'd "want" Dyche here but at the very least he'd get a bit of a siege mentality going. We've not had that for ages with the manager constantly belittling the club and burying his players at every available window.

He’s a bit Brent as well, I listened to a podcast he appeared on once and his mantra was “the minimum requirement is maximum effort”, as cheesy as it is - we need that.

A lot the criticism of was unfair too, they scored and conceded more than you’d expect for most of his tenure. He wasn’t backed up the board, nor did they have the resources with recruitment 

I’d much rather Dyche then Benitez, Gerrard, Smith or any other uninspiring name we just know Rudkin will come up with.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Impossible to overstate how delusional it is to think Chelsea would go anywhere near Rodgers.  You must be on his press agent’s speed dial if you believe that.

...look at the optics!!!

No media challenges on his ability, everyone (including Rodgers) pointing to not being backed financially.  The perception is an elite manager fighting a lack of resources. 

15 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I'm so torn on the Dyche situation, 
Ultimately I don't "want" him here, I'm not convinced he's the right direction for us, but I also think it could be harsh to base opinions on him solely on his time at Burnley, sure the football wasn't majestic, but they rarely spent any money across his time as manager (£155m in 10 years according to Transfermarkt with £16m being their biggest signing) , and although the football has drastically "improved" under Kompany, they are in a league below and the easy on the eye football they are playing at present may change should they get promoted and are hit with the reality of their budget situation. 

The issue is, the longer we keep Brendan in charge, the more and more likely Dyche becomes, because as time goes on, the door to a young hungry manager becomes much more of a gamble, and we very well could end up in a situation where we sack Brendan but cannot afford to take that leap of faith in someone unproven. Dyche offers rigidity, organisation and his man management is top class, I genuinely feel like Dyche would walk into this club and immediately get 15% more out of every individual and considerably improve us in the short term, the question then becomes what kind of football will he produce with players like Youri and Madders, and does he have the ability and power to completely restructure us from top to bottom, because we desperately need it. 

I'd be really interested to see just how dynamic he is as a manager if given some money to spend and a few flair players like Maddison. 
Whenever I have watched Dyche in long form interviews such as this one I've linked, he comes across as someone we could really do with in terms of overall leadership and organisational approach. 

But with all of that said, It's Sean Dyche......I don't "want" him, but if things continue to regress, we might just need him (or someone like him).

I agree with a lot of what you've posted here. The one thing I will say about Dyche is that he absolutely deserves a chance at a club bigger than Burnley. He got them promoted twice, got them into Europe, had them as a consistent team in the league. He's done a lot more than many of the ex-pros like Lampard, Gerrard and Parker. 

It's no guarantee of any success and he's the sort of appointment who could also end up as a disaster. But he deserves a chance somewhere. 

• Like 1

Dyche or Potter would be very good appointments in my view. 

Both bring different attributes to the party but fundamentally both have a long term vision which they're committed to. 

I think Dyche gets a rough ride by most fans. Yes, he managed a Burnley side that during his PL years were pragmatic in their approach and not particularly easy on the eye, but he worked absolute wonders to keep that side in the PL relying on journeymen like Barnes, Pieters, Mee, and Lowton to consistently turn out 10/10 performances (relative to ability). When you hear players and managers who know him or have worked with him they all say how forward thinking he is as a manager and coach so I think people assume that just because his hands were tied at Burnley that is a reflection of his management style. 

From the outside looking in, I see him as a manager who gets everyone on board (player's, board, and fans) with his vision and builds a siege mentality. I mentioned in a previous post that I think one of our current issues is that fundamentally we lack leadership in terms of understanding the business of football and I think Top and co. rely heavily on having a manager with that knowledge and experience.

Unfortunately I think BR likes to focus all of his efforts on the training pitch as I'm not convinced he understands more broadly what's actually needed to run a successful football club. Dyche on the other hand understands it brilliantly. If he came in I'm certain he'd put the structures into place that are currently lacking to maximise our resources. That for me is what is needed right now. There's no point appointing another coach type manager as we need someone who can not only organise us on the pitch but also off it.

Furthermore, one thing about a Sean Dyche side is that they will run through brick walls for their manager and always give 100%. We've got the talent in our squad but as many have mentioned before, we look lethargic, disinterested, and show little fight. That I'm certain would be addressed pretty quickly were Dyche to be appointed. 

As for Potter, he too will bring a vision and build the club for the longer term. It took a while at Brighton but he left them in a very strong position.

I think Potter wouldn't impose a hard reset like Dyche would, more so subtle tweaks to what's already in place and he might be considered to be more appealing to some of the football purists within the squad.

I think with time he would certainly get the fans on board but there is a danger that as his style of play isn't too dissimilar to BR that if performances don't change drastically (which can take some time with Potter) that some of the impatient crowd down at the KP will get on his back even if results actually improve. I do think his sides are also prone to being consistently inconsistent which again can be frustrating.

Bigger picture I do however think that at the right club he has the capability to build a side capable of challenging regularly for Europe. Whilst his style of play and outlook on the game may well be similar to BR, he's a lot less stubborn and tactically superior in my opinion so would be a good appointment if he became available and was willing to come on board. 

11 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

I rate him. Thought he did a great job at Brighton, but Chelsea are an extremely dysfunctional club at the minute, and I always thought him going there would end in tears.

His Chelsea stint notwithstanding, I would absolutely take him here. He trusts youth, he is fluid in terms of the tactics he employs, he gets the best out of his players, he's not afraid to change systems to fit the players he has at his disposal. And frankly, anything would be better than Rodgers at present. 

If Chelsea do pull the trigger and give Rodgers a chance (unlikely, I know), Potter could be an excellent coup for us.

He's a builder. Yeah, we're pretty pants right now and may continue to be so for a year or so after Potter's appointment. But going by his work at Ostersunds and Brighton, we would get a manager in who would stabilise the club and build a structure that should see us playing great football and challenging the elite.

We're a different beast to both of those clubs when he took over there and the potential ceiling is higher. I think he could be managing us in the Champions League within a few seasons.

14 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

I rate him. Thought he did a great job at Brighton, but Chelsea are an extremely dysfunctional club at the minute, and I always thought him going there would end in tears.

His Chelsea stint notwithstanding, I would absolutely take him here. He trusts youth, he is fluid in terms of the tactics he employs, he gets the best out of his players, he's not afraid to change systems to fit the players he has at his disposal. And frankly, anything would be better than Rodgers at present. 

Well, Brighton last season had horrible spells at times and sh**housed lots of draws. He did an ok job but i don't recall it ever being scintillating. Its early days, but Brighton look better right now.

I think there is a realism pill to swallow here. Potter is the 4th highest paid manager in the league now. Even if he gets fired from Chelsea (i reckon it would have happened 1st thing, so image he has got credit in the bank still), his wage demands are going to be as high as Rodgers. Do Potters credentials actually warrant this? I just don't see it, and as Villa / Fulham / Wolves / Brighton etc have shown, there are better options elsewhere.

Edited by Chelmofox

You have to realise with Potter. It's not just Potter. It's Potter and his team. He's very much a Pearson esque character in the sense; he wants full autonomy. He was assisted by people he trusts at scouting level and coaching level. 

It's partly why Chelsea won't sack him. His entire team including virtually the tea lady have moved over to Chelsea. 

He's a long term planner and you are seeing what happens when you throw him into a scenario where he has to react. His spells at Swansea and Brighton, he started in the summer. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Howe never failed with Bournemouth, he took them from the edge of relegation to non league all way to the PL. It was a remarkable job. I always wanted him here, always mentioned him as I always thought Bournemouth played good attacking football, his only issue was defence but he's got Newcastle defensively sorted.

• Like 3