Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kierzz

New Manager? Who do you Want?

7 minutes ago, itude said:

Marco Rose ?

Now look at why he even got the Dortmund job and the great job he did at Gladbach with very little net spend.

Also for even how poor a season Dortmund think it was also the 2nd closest they had been to Bayern and a title in 10 years

• Like 2

Pearson is a big NO from me. He has been terrible at every club since us, and actually, had some pretty torrid periods with us too. I think it could go badly wrong with him in charge, and quite quickly too. 

I have never wanted Dyche here, however, looking at who is available and what we need right now and probably for the next 2 seasons, I am now seeing some sense in it. 

Rodgers has slowly but surely sucked the life out of our team. Possession football with no intensity is killing us. We now need someone with new ideas, knowledge of the league, and a character that the players can respond to. Burnley had a woeful net spend, and he still managed to keep them up each year and get a 7th place finish with them too. 

Make no mistake, we are on a slippery slope here. Things could get a lot worse for us, considering we have some unhappy players, players out of contract, players eyeing moves away, restricted spending budget, mistakes in recruitment, ageing players, imbalanced squad...  The list goes on! 

I just don't think we can afford to get this next appointment wrong, and I think style of football may need to take a back seat for a season or two, until we get back to a happy place, in terms of happy players, attacking football with intent, and being able to defend properly! 

Some of the foreign names mentioned have done well elsewhere, but I see greater risk involved, and we are potentially only 1 bad appointment away from being in the relegation mix come the end of the season, especially if Top restricts spending in January. I am usually positive, but feels like there is a lot wrong at the club right now. Relegation would be a disaster for us. 

Dyche had -£59m five-year transfer net spend at Burnley. I am not saying with a better squad, he will have us pushing the top 6 each season, but comfortable top 10 finishes are surely within his ability. 

Certainly not an ideal choice, but we are not in a good way right now, on and off the field. Happy to hear other names, but so far, Dyche is an OK solution. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, itude said:

Marcelino, 50% chance, next June

There has been a strange atmosphere of uncertainty around Athletic Club in recent months. With limited transfer activity to deal with, it’s generally a settled club. Yet with Marcelino Garcia Toral’s contract up at the end of the season and elections on the horizon, things are up in the air at Lezama.

Speaking ahead of their final home game of the season, Marcelino was direct and honest with the media about that uncertainty.

“There’s a 50% chance, as far as I’m concerned, that I won’t be here next season. I end my contract on the 30th of June and it’s the last home game of the season. I am very happy to be manager of Athletic. If it is the last, I will remember all that I was able to experience and if it isn’t the last, I will have the fortune of experiencing more matches with this extraordinary support. I remember the heartache of having to play for four months in an empty San Mames, but then I was able to enjoy magical and unforgettable nights.”

I am not quite sure what your point is with is?

20 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

We don't know which manager would come here until they are approached so would be impossible to answer. 

Define successful, Dyche was successful in the Championship, but apart from 1 season in the EPL where Burnley finished 7th? What else has he achieved in his career?

That would be keeping Burnley up for so long, with a very limited budget, and very limited players. What would you expect him to do with that, win the Champions league ?

4 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Now look at why he even got the Dortmund job and the great job he did at Gladbach with very little net spend.

Also for even how poor a season Dortmund think it was also the 2nd closest they had been to Bayern and a title in 10 years

Fair enough, but would he want to come here, and as we have both pointed out the pluses and the minuses, it stilladds up to me as more risky than Dyche.

6 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Pearson is a big NO from me. He has been terrible at every club since us, and actually, had some pretty torrid periods with us too. I think it could go badly wrong with him in charge, and quite quickly too. 

I have never wanted Dyche here, however, looking at who is available and what we need right now and probably for the next 2 seasons, I am now seeing some sense in it. 

Rodgers has slowly but surely sucked the life out of our team. Possession football with no intensity is killing us. We now need someone with new ideas, knowledge of the league, and a character that the players can respond to. Burnley had a woeful net spend, and he still managed to keep them up each year and get a 7th place finish with them too. 

Make no mistake, we are on a slippery slope here. Things could get a lot worse for us, considering we have some unhappy players, players out of contract, players eyeing moves away, restricted spending budget, mistakes in recruitment, ageing players, imbalanced squad...  The list goes on! 

I just don't think we can afford to get this next appointment wrong, and I think style of football may need to take a back seat for a season or two, until we get back to a happy place, in terms of happy players, attacking football with intent, and being able to defend properly! 

Some of the foreign names mentioned have done well elsewhere, but I see greater risk involved, and we are potentially only 1 bad appointment away from being in the relegation mix come the end of the season, especially if Top restricts spending in January. I am usually positive, but feels like there is a lot wrong at the club right now. Relegation would be a disaster for us. 

Dyche had -£59m five-year transfer net spend at Burnley. I am not saying with a better squad, he will have us pushing the top 6 each season, but comfortable top 10 finishes are surely within his ability. 

Certainly not an ideal choice, but we are not in a good way right now, on and off the field. Happy to hear other names, but so far, Dyche is an OK solution. 

He is realistic, both with his availability ,and his practical style. With better players, as we still have ( but for how much longer ? ) who knows ?

10 minutes ago, itude said:

Did an unbelieve job at Porto to get himself the Chelsea job, which fair enough went wrong

But then he then went on to Spurs where he ended up with the highest win % of any Spurs manager in the Prem era (better than Poch)

Walked Russia, did a good job in China, then went to Marseille and got them their highest finish in nearly 10 years and back into the Champions League

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I am not quite sure what your point is with is?

He has "stepped down" what does that mean exactly ? is he looking for a job, or not ?

3 minutes ago, itude said:

He has "stepped down" what does that mean exactly ? is he looking for a job, or not ?

He just left after his contract ran out, there was some stuff going on around club elections and it seems like he probably just felt it was the right time to leave

10 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Did an unbelieve job at Porto to get himself the Chelsea job, which fair enough went wrong

But then he then went on to Spurs where he ended up with the highest win % of any Spurs manager in the Prem era (better than Poch)

Walked Russia, did a good job in China, then went to Marseille and got them their highest finish in nearly 10 years and back into the Champions League

No perfect candidates then ? from you, or I

1 hour ago, itude said:

Realistically, Dyche, Pearson and thought it pains me to say it ,Allardice.

You see we are skint, bottom of the table, defence is a mess, some players need their arses kicking and we lose maybe 7 in 9-10 months time for nothing.

We have to be realistic about where we are at now, how unattractive to many managers we currently are, and what we need, to avoid relegation.

Some ( not you) keep mentioning people they seemto have unearthed in their dreams, such as Poch and Potter.

Those two ain't coming here for sure.

We aren’t in that bad state. New £100M training ground, stadium redevelopment in the works and no doubt some funds next summer from the Fofana sale + a few big earners leaving on a free.

You are talking as if we are Norwich.

I don’t think Poch or Potter will come, but we don’t need to stoop as low as Dyche or Allardyce.

Edited by Ricey
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, itude said:

You need good thread to be able to do that, at he moment we look threadbare.

A lot of "thinking" you seem to describe them as needing , hows about some actual experience of dealing with where we currently are as opposed to just "thinking they can sort it out" . Sadly we cannot get anyone in apart from out of contracters till the next window, and even then, can we afford any ? doesn't seem so. Your formula seems to be one which a lot of " hopeful thinking non entities" would jump on for sure

I mujch prefer to go with prior proven experience !

Proven experience ? He’s been relegated twice including last season where Dyche had his biggest ever spend. That failed because Dyche doesn’t believe in the very methods which gave Leicester City their biggest success in recent years. Rather than change style, he doubled down with the signing of Wieghorst. 

Our squad is one of multiple internationals and includes three players whom were in the top twenty for either assists or goals last season. 

There is the interim issue of non performance. That task with this current squad capable of achieving 8th despite injuries last season would only need a couple of wins in the next week to abandon the noise of relegation. This squad is good enough to be top half. 

There is a longer term more difficult task of rebuilding a squad. Dyche is nowhere near adequate for that role given his complete ignorance of modern football areas such as analytics. He’s never rebuilt a team and that became his curse last season. This task isn’t wholly on the manager; it’s going to take good scouting. I don’t think you get my point regards identifying players with contracts running low; next summer, our wage bill reduces to the point money will be available. Lose 7, bring in 4 or 5 and supplement the squad with youngsters (cos we’ve got some exciting players and that’s another area Dyche is an utter disaster at) 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Dan Gliballs said:

I’m not necessarily backing the idea, but what makes you say that?

Everything I’ve personally read, and heard, points to Pearson and the family having quite a warm, and respectful relationship.

There was a lot of things happening that ended up in his dismissal (some crazy antics in press conferences, son having some fun in Thailand..) They may have a good relationship but I dont think personally they'd bring him back. 

Although I'd like them too.

2 hours ago, itude said:

Are we not at least getting close to "desperation"then ?

That said, I hardly think Dyches experience of low budgets, relegation fights and so on equates to desperation.

Bringing in some unknown foreign manager much more so

...the "unknown foreign manager" will be well known in football circles and even more in the league that he coaches!!!

There is a history of excellence, and in Fischer's case moving between leagues and improving league positions year after year. If there was to be a concern, with bringing in an overseas manager, it would be his ability to adapt his style of play to the Premier League.

I am willing to take that chance, I hope the club will too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

Don't worry, Pearson is happy where he is. 😉👍

• Like 1