Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kierzz

New Manager? Who do you Want?

Worth establishing that we haven't hired a manager that hadn't already worked in either the Prem or the Football League since Craig Levein (the only time?) and not since Martin Allen have we hired a manager that didn't already have experience at our then-current level. 

Think in my lifetime Brian Little might be the only other manager to meet either criteria? 

To say we lack imagination would be a serious under statement. 

Of our four foreign managers, all recruited by or for these owners, two (Sousa and Puel) joined Leicester immediately following spells with clubs in the same league and Svennis was the former England manager whose last club job had been at Thaksin Shinawatra's Man City. 

The closest we've come to leftfield was the world renowned Claudio Ranieri, well known here for a stint at Chelsea as Mourinho's predecessor. 

I'd much, much rather we look at Rose or Fischer than take a punt on some bang average Premier League journeyman but we should probably all brace ourselves for considerable disappointment at how boring and "safe" Rodgers' replacement is going to be. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Stadt said:

He was sacked before they got relegated 

He got relegated in 14/15.

11 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Sacked before a potential second relegation with them. He took them down and brought them back in his spell there.

Exactly. I don't know how people don't remember his first relegation.

Edited by Fox92

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Worth establishing that we haven't hired a manager that hadn't already worked in either the Prem or the Football League since Craig Levein (the only time?) and not since Martin Allen have we hired a manager that didn't already have experience at our then-current level. 

Think in my lifetime Brian Little might be the only other manager to meet either criteria? 

To say we lack imagination would be a serious under statement. 

Of our four foreign managers, all recruited by or for these owners, two (Sousa and Puel) joined Leicester immediately following spells with clubs in the same league and Svennis was the former England manager whose last club job had been at Thaksin Shinawatra's Man City. 

The closest we've come to leftfield was the world renowned Claudio Ranieri, well known here for a stint at Chelsea as Mourinho's predecessor. 

I'd much, much rather we look at Rose or Fischer than take a punt on some bang average Premier League journeyman but we should probably all brace ourselves for considerable disappointment at how boring and "safe" Rodgers' replacement is going to be. 

Yeah Scott Parker

• Sad 2

As I said before I think the club need to be bold here. Many people on this board which much better knowledge than me have come up with many good options who wouldn't cost the earth. So many exciting options across Europe that could get fans on side pretty quickly with good attacking football and have a much higher ceiling than some of the 'safer' appointments. 

I am worried that none of these will be on the club's radar. In the past it has very much been people with prem experience, fairly well known managers. Some seem to look at the table and see us at the bottom, 1 point from 6 games and think we need to appoint someone to save us from relegation. A good October and we'll be well above the drop zone, we need to hold our nerve and not look at getting in a short term survival option.

We can still be a club who is looking to disrupt the top 6 without spending mega money on the manager.

9 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

In fairness to Dyche I really didn't expect them to bounce back immediately. To me that all points to him being a great appointment for Bournemouth. Lower expectations, lower spending, will make a fight of it, but have been yo-yo-ing for a while so good to have a manager who knows both divisions.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Scotch said:

I still think Marco Rose is our man even with a poor spell at Dortmund. 

So much of what he does shuts our current bunch...

- He plays with two up top which suits our strikers.

- He plays a diamond with two number 8's, a 6 and a 10 which suits our midfield. 

- He plays a fairly low defensive block which suits our defense. 

- He doesn't play wingers which is good because we only have one. He gets the width from the strikers drifting out wide were maybe Barnes could be utilised anyway. 

- He knows how to get Daka scoring regularly. 

...IMO  he's our man. 

Your logic is flawless and if he can get it working better than at present that has got to be positive. My only concern is do we really want to be playing that brand of football and is it time for a change in style. 

The practical problem is going to be who would want to come to us at the moment and can we afford it? 

Edited by Supergray22
  • Like 1

Just now, Supergray22 said:

Your logic is flawless and if he can get it working better than at present that has got to be positive. My only concern is do we really want to be playing that brand of football and is it time for a change in style. 

What brand?

Rose is quite dissimilar to Rodgers. 

He favours turnovers in the opposition half, vertical passing and shorter periods of possession characterised by reducing the time from gaining the ball to forcing a chance.

He's exactly what Rodgers' critics on here have been asking for for years.

Put more plainly, he's a disciple of Klopp not Guardiola. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Scotch said:

- He plays a diamond with two number 8's, a 6 and a 10 which suits our midfield. 

- He doesn't play wingers which is good because we only have one. He gets the width from the strikers drifting out wide were maybe Barnes could be utilised anyway. 

...IMO  he's our man. 

He's also Leipzig's man. He's got RB past, he's previously worked with Eberl who will soon be Leipzig's new director and he's a Leipzig native. He's got to be daft to turn down the chance to work and live in his hometown with his family while also getting to coach a UCL side.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

In fairness to Dyche I really didn't expect them to bounce back immediately. To me that all points to him being a great appointment for Bournemouth. Lower expectations, lower spending, will make a fight of it, but have been yo-yo-ing for a while so good to have a manager who knows both divisions.

Tbh I've never minded Dyche and he did do a good job at Burnley, even just getting them promoted.

But he isn't the manager to take us forward and I can't believe people would want a manager that has been relegated and would have again if he'd not left in time.

• Like 1

I would be more than happy for Dyche to come in as an interim manager until the end of the season. 

A lot of fans harp on about his playing methods amd squad setup, but what choice did he have at Burnley? If he'd have tried to implement a passing team at Burnley they'd have been relegated after a season.  

With a view to Rose next summer.

Edited by UHDrive
Typo

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

What brand?

He favours turnovers in the opposition half, vertical passing and shorter periods of possession characterised by reducing the time from gaining the ball to forcing a chance.

If Rose can achieve that then happy days. I’d be content at the moment just to see us sort out the defence and stop that nervous sideways passing at the back. Id love to see us winning every game again but first we need to compete again and stop this slide asap. That doesn’t conflict with a clear vision for the future. 

1 hour ago, Scotch said:

...IMO  he's our man. 

It's almost like the stars have aligned to be honest - the fact that he's out of work means it would be less of a gamble financially for us, he's managed players in our squad before, his style is suited to our personnel - if he wants to come, which is a bit of a big 'if' at this point, then he should be top of our list really.

Edited by indierich06

30 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

It was 7 years ago, he took them back up and kept them in the league for 5 seasons whilst consistently having one of the lowest budgets and worst squads. Dyche wouldn't be my first choice but he's harshly judged in comparison to other managers.

This isn't in response to your post particularly but a fair few posters on here infer he'd turn us into Burnley 2.0, when he'd obviously adapt to what we have at our disposal.

Burnley consistently pressed higher than what people think.

He's signed 6 players over £10m in his career 

The signings they could make were hampered by a shit scouting network 

If we're in a terrible financial position for a few years then Dyche is probably the most suitable manager. Given our managerial recruitment record is hardly rigorous I can see it.

41 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

What brand?

Wow thats exactly what we need. Gerrimin

Bielsa - Would make the defence more of a unit quickly but i hardly a long term appointment at 67
Pochettino - Obvious top choice, but would be expensive and might not even want to join right now. would also need money to spend in January
Dyche - Did a cracking job with Burnley and i think he could do a decent job here too. Not sure i see him as the type of manager to rebuild the squad and take us back to europe but i wouldnt mind seeing him here
Emma hayes, Yes really. has done well in the womens games but would be a gamble, she would have as much of a point to prove as anyone though. 

Had a look at the betting and managers out there.

Potter will be the number one target, and we’ll throw the kitchen sink at it but he probably won’t want it. They’ll flirt with Poch but it’ll be a no go. They’ll sound out Mancini and see where he’s at with Italy. Then they’ll probably end up having to pick between free agents Marco Rose, Dyche, Villas-Boas, De Zerbi, Marcelino who are all good but not perfect, so it’s choosing your fighter really and what they want from a next manager. 

Then there Hjulmand who’s with Denmark, but you’d think not with the World Cup coming up. 

56 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

I would be more than happy for Dyche to come in as an interim manager until the end of the season. 

A lot of fans harp on about his playing methods amd squad setup, but what choice did he have at Burnley? If he'd have tried to implement a passing team at Burnley they'd have been relegated after a season.  

With a view to Rose next summer.

Having him as an interim would decrease the chances of him getting a reaction from the squad. Interims are always going to struggle to adopt new tactical ways when the players know they likely won't be there very long. Interims are only worth it if all they need to bring is some motivation, but I'd argue the players are still giving their all on the whole.

Dyche will struggle enough to play his way with this squad, having him as a clear short-term fix will just make that worse. We have to think more longer term to enable the squad and the fans to really buy into what the new manager is doing and therefore create some long lasting positivity and energy.

1 hour ago, cambridgefox said:

Think you are/were local to me.

I would take Mark Bonner over Rodgers at this time( tongue in cheek)

Done exceptionally well.

Still am, highly rate Bonner in the job he’s done there, high rate him relative to his current level that is, big gamble for the premier league but given the job he’s done he deserves a crack at a bigger club than Cambridge, I think he will definitely get a shot at one soon! 

• Like 1