Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kierzz

New Manager? Who do you Want?

1 hour ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Fair play to the numerous posters who genuinely didn't rate Potter....

Still not bowled over by him. The hype far outweighed actual reality up to the end of last season. It does appear he's done well at Brighton eventually but again, they were a club thst got way more praise than they really deserved. They were the masters at not being very good at winning football matches.

I will give him credit for them now though as finally there's substance to them, they can and do score goals and it would have been interesting to see if he could have got them a top 6 finish, if not then it's nothing special is it.

At Chelsea he has to win things, I don't think he will get more than 1 trophy less season so its no guarantee he will and then the jury is still out on him. As it stands Brendan Rodgers has done way more than him and he's the absolute pits now.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Still not bowled over by him. The hype far outweighed actual reality up to the end of last season. It does appear he's done well at Brighton eventually but again, they were a club thst got way more praise than they really deserved. They were the masters at not being very good at winning football matches.

I will give him credit for them now though as finally there's substance to them, they can and do score goals and it would have been interesting to see if he could have got them a top 6 finish, if not then it's nothing special is it.

At Chelsea he has to win things, I don't think he will get more than 1 trophy less season so its no guarantee he will and then the jury is still out on him. As it stands Brendan Rodgers has done way more than him and he's the absolute pits now.

3 promotions in Sweden, winning the cup and getting that side in to Europe is pretty special

Edited by Tommy Fresh

2 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

3 promotions in Sweden, winning the cup and getting that side in to Europe is pretty special

Possibly, it's a success story at that level that took the headlines but its still at a level (Scandinavian football) way below the PL.

He's an interesting change to most British managers and I hope he does succeed at the highest level, even if I'll be proven very wrong in doing do. He's at a club that could break him though, he's got a season at most to land a trophy.

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Possibly, it's a success story at that level that took the headlines but its still at a level (Scandinavian football) way below the PL.

He's an interesting change to most British managers and I hope he does succeed at the highest level, even if I'll be proven very wrong in doing do. He's at a club that could break him though, he's got a season at most to land a trophy.

You're downplaying the Swedish success massively

26 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

You're downplaying the Swedish success massively

Maybe so, it will become more credible if he achieves anything in the top half of the Premier League, ideally trophies given the club he's now at. As it stands he's less successful than Steve Bruce and Mark Hughes in British football.

40 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Maybe so, it will become more credible if he achieves anything in the top half of the Premier League, ideally trophies given the club he's now at. As it stands he's less successful than Steve Bruce and Mark Hughes in British football.

Like me though you're also a fan of and put forward Arne Slot as an alternative to Rodgers, who has only managed in a league a level below ours and actually won nothing as a manager? Not sure you can beat Potter with a stick you champion someone like Slot with.

7 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Like me though you're also a fan of and put forward Arne Slot as an alternative to Rodgers, who has only managed in a league a level below ours and actually won nothing as a manager? Not sure you can beat Potter with a stick you champion someone like Slot with.

Hang on, Potter has gone to Chelsea. Would he have been a good appointment for us? Possibly, but I'd never have wanted us to pay £20m + for him in compensation and as I say he's not really achieved a lot in British football yet to warrant that. It's a gamble, I'm not that precious about managers when there's plenty of others with similar promise.

I much prefer Slot for the players he brings through academies, obviously you want to see achievements along the way bit Slot on about £2.5m a year and minimal compensation or a fortune on Potter? Slot all day long.

I actually think Potter might regret leaving Brighton just as they looked set to really do something that could be the equivalent of what he did in Sweden but at the highest level. We'll never know, I can see why he had to take the Chelsea job though. British managers don't get many chances.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Hang on, Potter has gone to Chelsea. Would he have been a good appointment for us? Possibly, but I'd never have wanted us to pay £20m + for him in compensation and as I say he's not really achieved a lot in British football yet to warrant that. It's a gamble, I'm not that precious about managers when there's plenty of others with similar promise.

I much prefer Slot for the players he brings through academies, obviously you want to see achievements along the way bit Slot on about £2.5m a year and minimal compensation or a fortune on Potter? Slot all day long.

I actually think Potter might regret leaving Brighton just as they looked set to really do something that could be the equivalent of what he did in Sweden but at the highest level. We'll never know, I can see why he had to take the Chelsea job though. British managers don't get many chances.

Fair enough with the compensation point, I wouldn't want us to either (especially after splashing out to get rid of Brendan) the initial point was more around people calling his teams negative and boring etc.

I do love Slot, but compared to his AZ time I don't actually think he's brought through many academy players so far at Feyenoord has he?

Edited by Tommy Fresh

Someone that makes us hard to beat.

Decent at set pieces, at both ends of the pitch.

Signs exciting hungry (not starving) players.

Can get us up the top half of the table, and hopefully above.

Not possession obsessed football, with little end product.

Who that is, I don’t know? 

• Thanks 1

Fair enough with the compensation point, I wouldn't want us to either (especially after splashing out to get rid of Brendan) the initial point was more around people calling his teams negative and boring etc.

I do love Slot, but compared to his AZ time I don't actually think he's brought through many academy players so far at Feyenoord has he?

Weirdly not yet (only Benita and Hartman) but they've signed a fair few U21 players who are making an impact such as Walemark, Giminez, Bullaude.

1 hour ago, Kinowe Soorie said:

Mancini

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Slot is a machine!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Kinowe Soorie said:

You want Pearson back? 🤣🤣

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I think Chelsea would have been far better going for Brendan Rodgers. He'd have been ideal for them, proven to give a team the upward trajectory shortly after joining and proven on winning trophies and previous for them. Potter will get the sack at some point but I can see why he went there.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, messerschmitt said:

I think Chelsea would have been far better going for Brendan Rodgers.

This might actually be right. I think Rodgers is a fantastic coach (no, bear with me...) and any club would probably do well with him in charge of the team.

For two seasons. Max. Then you'd be wanting someone else. Because he is a really good coach. But only in the short term.

As for Chelsea and Potter, I think if Chelsea gave Potter five years he may well do a fantastic job there. But there is no chance they'll take a long-term view.