Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers appreciation thread

The only thing we have now that we didn't when he started is an FA Cup in the trophy cabinet. He deserves some gratitude for us finally getting that monkey off our backs. 

Other than that, I struggle to see what progress has been made. Puel did much of the legwork before him in terms of putting the squad together with Maddison, Ricardo and Tielemans already here before Rodgers, and his signings since have not only failed to move us on but actually put us in a position where we can't. 

Without the FA Cup, I think he'd have gone at the end of that season having bottled back-to-back Champions League finishes.

The European run last season was fun, but being in the UECL at all represented not one but two failures. The first was failing to qualify for the UCL despite being nailed on to do so, and the second was crashing out of a group where really only Napoli should have caused us any problems. And then we had a hat-trick of European failures by failing to turn up against an actually fairly middling Roma side in the semi.

I fear that we may already have blown the chance to become a regular European side thanks largely to Rodgers' failings, but do think we should have enough talent to attract the calibre of manager who could turn it around. Next appointment is crucial though. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Injuries last season and finances/lack of investment haven’t helped. Add poor recruitment and being unable to shift deadwood - potentially toxic. You could argue he’s been outmanoeuvred by these circumstances.

I think his style of football is one way for a mature top level football club to play. I would like to see us capable of having a plan b though. 

So something to appreciate is that he's left 25 options open in case Plan A eventually gets dropped? lol

3 minutes ago, Scanchez said:

FA Cup win, two of our highest ever finishes in the club's history and a Community Shield.

I think after he's gone, the dust settles and we look back he won't be as hated as he appears to be now.

That really depends on how far he’s allowed to take us into the mire. 

1 hour ago, Scanchez said:

FA Cup win, two of our highest ever finishes in the club's history and a Community Shield.

I think after he's gone, the dust settles and we look back he won't be as hated as he appears to be now.

It's not hate here...just disappointment.

On the plus side he'd make a great new father ted

He did have us playing some excellent football and prolonged Vardy's career.

He has undoubtedly improved some of our players technically.

finishing top 5 twice in a row was impressive despite the way it happened and of course the  :scarf:

There is no denying the above on paper it's a brilliantly impressive reign. However all the negatives will overshadow the achievements I'm afraid when we look back.

11 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

The main one is that he has made many including me realise that Puel ball wasn’t the worse we can endure.

IMO Puel ball was worse but Rodgers has a much better team and also he didn't have the task that Puel did of having had to totally change the style of play from Neanderthal hoofing upfield into the channels for Vardy so overall he hasn't done as good a job as CP.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, teblin said:

I think that’s it.

2 of our highest finishes ever in the top flight, if not for Covid I think we’d have made the champions league in the 1st one and an FA cup win. Our 5th place finishes were the 1st time we qualified for Europe via a league finish. So we have to appreciate the achievements, and it’s a shame we missed one of those seasons being there in person.

but since the FA cup win we have been on a decline and that can’t be ignored either. So it may be a case of thanks for the good times but it’s time for a change.

What about the title win? Wasn't that the 1st time we qualified for Europe via a league finish?

He has brought us European qualification and an FA Cup win. There's a sense of what might have been, but those achievements should never be taken for granted as a Leicester fan. But his team selections, tactics and substitutions leave a lot to be desired and his lethargic post match interviews haven't endeared him to anyone. He doesn't seem very likeable and as a manager he is limited, I think his ceiling is lower than Ranieri or possibly even Puel. 

7 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

IMO Puel ball was worse but Rodgers has a much better team and also he didn't have the task that Puel did of having had to totally change the style of play from Neanderthal hoofing upfield into the channels for Vardy so overall he hasn't done as good a job as CP.

This is fair. Puel had faults but overall has a positive legacy, the hate for him is bizarre. 

• Like 1

Won the FA Cup

Won the Community Shield

2 seasons in Europe - thankfully last season it meant I was able to follow us away in Europe for my first time ever

Earlier during his reign I saw some of the best football I have ever seen us play

Will leave with probably the 2nd highest win % of any Leicester manager ever (only beaten by Pearson’s first stint)

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I will always respect him, first part of 19/20 season was among the best I've ever seen us play.

Ultimately we all wanted the FA Cup and he delivered it (as well as another win at Wembley in the Community Shield final). 

Overall he has been good, I will always give him a good reception, but now it seems something needs to change.

I felt for him last night with our fans singing "getting sacked in the morning" at him. I don't think he deserved that, even if people think it. I do think it needs a change I chose personally to applaud Rodgers.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Not much in it though is there.