Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Relegation

Arrogant attitude from Maddison. All hypothetical as we didn’t put the chances away. 

We had 4 decent chances, Iheanacho x 3 and Souttar. Not every chance will ever go in so on an average to good day, 2 or 3 of them go in. Meanwhile they did score 1 and missed a penalty, a better chance than all ours. So if we’re playing the ‘boo hoo if we’d scored our chances’ game, I’m assuming we are counting Southampton should have had 2? So we’d have only drawn or scraped a win most times anyway!

Complete lack of acknowledgment as to where the issues lie. If you’re having to score 2 week in week out to even draw a game, you’re ****ed if your striker has an off day like Kel did. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

I'm not saying his response is a siege mentality. I'm saying that if Maddison is willing to check and challenge a journalist, publicly, then it could be indicative of growing siege mentality within the club - "we'll show them" - which can only be a good thing? 

We were bad on Saturday. Losing to the bottom side in a crucial 6-pointer was a hugely damaging result. We would likely win that game 7/8 times out of 10, with the chances we had. Those aren't mutually exclusive facts. 

I see what you're saying but the problem we have is that the we'll show them aspect is that they'll keep sticking to their philosophy and way of playing hoping it will come good. 

13 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

Well he's not wrong is he? Some of our fans really do astound. Over dramatic headlines do not help at all, and this forum is the exact type of negativity he's on about. Come out and support the boys be really loud on Saturday if not stay at home and boo into the radio. We missed 4 clear chances, and should have easily won.

“Should have” isn’t prescriptive btw :whistle:

Aga

2 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Arrogant attitude from Maddison. All hypothetical as we didn’t put the chances away. 

We had 4 decent chances, Iheanacho x 3 and Souttar. Not every chance will ever go in so on an average to good day, 2 or 3 of them go in. Meanwhile they did score 1 and missed a penalty, a better chance than all ours. So if we’re playing the ‘boo hoo if we’d scored our chances’ game, I’m assuming we are counting Southampton should have had 2? So we’d have only drawn or scraped a win most times anyway!

Complete lack of acknowledgment as to where the issues lie. If you’re having to score 2 week in week out to even draw a game, you’re ****ed if your striker has an off day like Kel did. 

Yep.

Against Villa didn't we have 4 shots on target and scored all 4? Spurs 7 on target and scored 4. You can't expect to score more than 50% of your shots on target all the time.

Over the course of a season these things will likely average out, we're outperforming out xG scored and still can't win games.

11 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Yet, if the boot was on the other foot, and Southampton had all those chances you'd be moaning about how many chances the opposition had.

One minute it's "our xG is slow low" and the next minute it's "hypothetical we didn't put chances away".

Saturday was a relegation battle. One team took their chance, the other didn't. Simple as that and that happens in relegation battles because quality is not there. If we had a good striker then we'd have won the game, but we're near the bottom for a reason.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

I've just done an updated version of the PL table predictor (https://www.worldfootball.net/table_calculator/eng-premier-league/) and my predictions make it come down to the last game of the season and it's between us, Everton, Forest and Southampton for the 2 other relegation places (with Bmouth down already).

The way I think results will go we need to beat West Ham to stay up. Everton will beat Bournemouth at home, I think Southampton will lose to Lpool and go down, so it will come down to us and Forest.

Can't believe we've got ourselves in this kind of situation.

my most optimistic predictions has this as the final table:

Screenshot_20230306-1327212.thumb.png.aa119d49780fd63e2d095f3db0ce2009.png

comes to the last day needing a point though and we're goners.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Aga

Yep.

Against Villa didn't we have 4 shots on target and scored all 4? Spurs 7 on target and scored 4. You can't expect to score more than 50% of your shots on target all the time.

Over the course of a season these things will likely average out, we're outperforming out xG scored and still can't win games.

We are also conceding 1.72 goals per game on average and only scoring 1.44. Its not sustainable, we can't rely on being as efficient/lucky as we have been as we are conceding more than we score.

People can point to 4 missed chances in one game and the idea of us winning that 8 times out of 10 but i'd like to see the evidence for that considering how bad we've been this year and Southampton have done the double on us. 

What we really don't need now is players coming out and saying if we keep playing exactly how we are we'll be safe because every statistic, metric and the majority of the fans 5 senses can tell them its absolutely not true.

Edited by Dames
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Yet, if the boot was on the other foot, and Southampton had all those chances you'd be moaning about how many chances the opposition had.

One minute it's "our xG is slow low" and the next minute it's "hypothetical we didn't put chances away".

Saturday was a relegation battle. One team took their chance, the other didn't. Simple as that and that happens in relegation battles because quality is not there. If we had a good striker then we'd have won the game, but we're near the bottom for a reason.

Did you get the sense that it was a 'battling' performance though? 

Just now, daddylonglegs said:

Did you get the sense that it was a 'battling' performance though? 

Compare that game to the Everton v Forest game yesterday. One game looked like a kick about on the park and the other was a scrap to stay in the league

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

Compare that game to the Everton v Forest game yesterday. One game looked like a kick about on the park and the other was a scrap to stay in the league

Both games lacked quality.

Just now, Fox92 said:

No. I haven't thought that about us for a long time.

This is my worry. The lack of quality can't really be helped. 

For me it's why we need to part company with Rodgers now, & get someone in who will give these players a kick up the arse.

34 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Happy clap our way into the championship! That's a proper fan!

Not really what he was saying. Confidence is a delicate thing and the players need support from the fans right now as much as ever. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pete52 said:

Not really what he was saying. Confidence is a delicate thing and the players need support from the fans right now as much as ever. 

The players need a better gameplan and motivation from a manager who's paid way beyond his ability 

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

comes to the last day needing a point though and we're goners

I don't think my heart could cope. Knowing that even if we weren't to score, hearing other scores through the radio, or the odd group of cheers as Everton/Leeds concede, but then the miserable impending lull of doom as either of them grab an equaliser or a winner in the 9th minute of stoppage time. It would be gut wrenching. 

46 minutes ago, Dames said:

Its not a siege mentality though. Its a mentality of we're too good to go down and if we keep doing what we are doing we'll be fine.

Absolutely no acknowledgement to how honking they've been and how in trouble they really are. Its delusion and its going to send us down. 

Why should he throw out negatives,to please doom merchants,he’s in the middle of playing an EOS rush to avoid relegation. Other fighting negatives and we can change it can come from the politicians of the club.

Players have to have that drive & positive mindset right to the last moment,or there is no use pulling the badge with shirt over your head..

MAddison for me Is a damn goodbloke ( football terms),and we need that driving force on & off the field…Sad truth is we missed 3 open goals,that would

of buried Soton .And those misses then turned our performance into a drudgery..

story of our season…

We need 3-4 wins,until that becomes an impossibility, I expect the players to fight & believe to the very end… We get relegated > some weird fans daft requirement<
that ruins everything,and will be hard to hit back…Rebuilding this summer must be from a PL platform..

The way some people post,they seem to enjoy our predicament,so they can cry themselves into the championship…We have been crap all season,but we must fight until the end,and no matter who leaves & stays,be ready for that rebuild and be excited what new players may bring, from a PL platform…:scarf::scarf:

Thinking about the last fews weeks, we had 2 good results followed by the Man U game which we started well and hsd a few good chances which we fluffed.  Then in a rare breakaway Rashford showed how it should be done with a cool, clinical finish.

Since that moment we've played crap for 3 and a half games, registering no shots on goal in our next 2 prem games and a home loss to a Champ club.

I wonder whether that Rashford strike might have been a defining moment in our relegation scrap, whether it knocked the last vestige of fight and belief out of us? 

6 minutes ago, deep blue said:

Thinking about the last fews weeks, we had 2 good results followed by the Man U game which we started well and hsd a few good chances which we fluffed.  Then in a rare breakaway Rashford showed how it should be done with a cool, clinical finish.

Since that moment we've played crap for 3 and a half games, registering no shots on goal in our next 2 prem games and a home loss to a Champ club.

I wonder whether that Rashford strike might have been a defining moment in our relegation scrap, whether it knocked the last vestige of fight and belief out of us? 

Very much like the opening of the season. We were playing well and should have been out of sight vs Brentford. We concede 2 and then plummeted  for the next 2 months.

10 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Why should he throw out negatives,to please doom merchants,he’s in the middle of playing an EOS rush to avoid relegation. Other fighting negatives and we can change it can come from the politicians of the club.

Players have to have that drive & positive mindset right to the last moment,or there is no use pulling the badge with shirt over your head..

MAddison for me Is a damn goodbloke ( football terms),and we need that driving force on & off the field…Sad truth is we missed 3 open goals,that would

of buried Soton .And those misses then turned our performance into a drudgery..

story of our season…

We need 3-4 wins,until that becomes an impossibility, I expect the players to fight & believe to the very end… We get relegated > some weird fans daft requirement<
that ruins everything,and will be hard to hit back…Rebuilding this summer must be from a PL platform..

The way some people post,they seem to enjoy our predicament,so they can cry themselves into the championship…We have been crap all season,but we must fight until the end,and no matter who leaves & stays,be ready for that rebuild and be excited what new players may bring, from a PL platform…:scarf::scarf:

Most of this is like trying to decipher hieroglyphics but from what I can tell he doesn't need to throw out negatives to appease anyone and imo he should have just kept quiet instead of having a pop at a Journo, he said what he had to say on Saturday after the game.  

Just had a go at that predictor, and when I tried to be realistic about our fixtures, I could see us getting a pair of draws against Wolves and West Ham at home. Could quite easily see us lose all the other games.This is why Rodgers needs the boot pronto, if we can't beat Southampton under him (TWICE), I can't realistically see what teams in this league we can beat, or where the next win comes from. We've already lost to Chelsea away when we had an extra player for most of the game, we've already been smashed twice by Newcastle, couldn't beat Palace at home. Lost to Fulham already, failed to beat Brentord with a 2 goal lead. Wolves and Everton will both be more robust under their new managers than when we beat them away. LIverpool and Man City will beat us easily. Maybe Leeds away or Bournemouth home gets us a win? But Leeds will be backed by their home crowd and up fior it, plus we've already meekly lost to Bournemouth once this season too.

• Like 1