Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Relegation

At the end of the day we have 9 teams in a relegation battle, all 9 are capable of being as bad as each other, all 9 are capable of pulling off surprises and winning games.

Over 25 games, we are marginally better than 5 of them, and marginally worse than 3 of them.

The fact that we score a lot more, (7 more than the next best) than all of our rivals, and almost double the amount of goals Everton and Wolves have scored, usually says we will be fine.

We have players in Maddison, Barnes and Iheanacho who are all capable of getting a goal out of nothing - this will be invaluable when we play our rivals. I still think we will comfortably finish top of those 9 by the end of the season.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

At the end of the day we have 9 teams in a relegation battle, all 9 are capable of being as bad as each other, all 9 are capable of pulling off surprises and winning games.

Over 25 games, we are marginally better than 5 of them, and marginally worse than 3 of them.

The fact that we score a lot more, (7 more than the next best) than all of our rivals, and almost double the amount of goals Everton and Wolves have scored, usually says we will be fine.

We have players in Maddison, Barnes and Iheanacho who are all capable of getting a goal out of nothing - this will be invaluable when we play our rivals. I still think we will comfortably finish top of those 9 by the end of the season.

I’ll have whatever you’re drinking please 

Edited by Wasyls Pec Deck

Just now, Ian S said:

I think the fact you think we will comfortably finish top of those 9 is where you will be found to be horribly horribly wrong.

Why? 
We have an over tendency to look at everything we’ve got as bad, and everything those around us have as good. 
Why can’t we finish top of that group of 9? 
Over the season, down at the bottom the team that usually scores the most goals comes out on top - out of the bottom 9 that’s us by a long way. 

Just now, Aus Fox said:

Why? 
We have an over tendency to look at everything we’ve got as bad, and everything those around us have as good. 
Over the season, down at the bottom the team that usually scores the most goals comes out on top - out of the bottom 9 that’s us by a long way. 

If Maddison stays fit there is an outside chance, having said that he played against the worst team in the league last weekend where we apparently dominated and we still looked shit. We’re so unbelievably poor. 

Our best hope is that we string a run of 3-4 wins like we’ve done twice this season, because outside of those two spells we’ve been terrible. 

3 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Only my opinion, but where I think you’re wrong is that whether you score a lot and conceded a lot or vice versa, when it comes down to the business end of the season, what will get teams over the line is;

- Bottle

- Grit

- Desire

- Fight

- Who wants it the most

- Confidence in ability to achieve the desired result

These are all traits where most of here can see we come bottom of the pile. Even Southampton who may be low on quality had those over us. Bournemouth, they led 2-0 away at Arsenal until they were worn down. We surrendered without a fight at home.

That for me is the difference.

Also when we talk about scoring a lot. How many of those goal are in a small portion or games? I.e Forest at home, Wolves away, Spurs and Villa. Most games such as every game after the World Cup up to the Brighton draw and the games since Spurs, we haven’t shown we can score goals.

This. If we're that good at scoring we wouldn't be in a relegation battle

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

Only my opinion, but where I think you’re wrong is that whether you score a lot and conceded a lot or vice versa, when it comes down to the business end of the season, what will get teams over the line is;

- Bottle

- Grit

- Desire

- Fight

- Who wants it the most

- Confidence in ability to achieve the desired result

These are all traits where most of here can see we come bottom of the pile. Even Southampton who may be low on quality had those over us. Bournemouth, they led 2-0 away at Arsenal until they were worn down. We surrendered without a fight at home.

That for me is the difference.

Also when we talk about scoring a lot. How many of those goal are in a small portion or games? I.e Forest at home, Wolves away, Spurs and Villa. Most games such as every game after the World Cup up to the Brighton draw and the games since Spurs, we haven’t shown we can score goals.

Edit - 22 of our 36 goals have come in 7 games.

So 14 goals in the remaining 18 games. 4 of those came in heavy defeats to Spurs and Brighton. 

So the goals scored is a bit misleading as we fill our boots in a handful of games and look toothless the rest. What is consistent is our ability to defend like a pub outfit!

We’ll find out for ourselves in a couple of months time.

The things you’ve listed are fine and will help, but how much have you watched the other teams around us to suggest they’ve got any of that?

Southampton certainly didn’t, the only thing they had over us was our inability to finish - another day and Kel scored a hat trick and we win comfortably.

Interesting how you use the Bournemouth game as a sign they are doing well - if that was us throwing away a 2 goal lead, I’m not sure it would have been seen on here as a sign we are staying up.

As for the goals, the mental gymnastics you’ve gone through to disprove we score more goals than anyone else is ridiculous!

The fact that you’re we’ve scored more in the 7 games you want to discount than 6 of the teams in the bottom nine have scored all season and use that as a negative is frankly weird.

The remaining 14 games you want to count is about the same goal scoring ratio as Forest, Wolves, Southampton and Everton.

You could then say the same for the goals against in the games against Arsenal, Brighton and Spurs if you wanted to look at a balanced view.

This really isn’t to say everything is rosy and all fantastic and perfect at the KP, but it’s no where near as bad as people are making out either - for how bad we are, and have been this season we are still above 5 teams, and within a win of 3 others.

We are not certainly going down, and we do score more goals than most.

I think based on not only what I’ve seen of us, but also what I’ve seen of Everton, Southampton, West Ham, Forest, Bournemouth, Leeds, Crystal Palace and Wolves - I think we will finish top of this 9 team mini league by the end of the season. 

11 hours ago, StevieH said:

One player holds the key to staying up - James Maddison. If he has knee problems again we've had it.

We're ****ed then. Because he seems to be made of glass. It won't surprise me if one of the Chelsea players purposely takes him out on Saturday since he's almost our only threat. 

25 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

We’ll find out for ourselves in a couple of months time.

The things you’ve listed are fine and will help, but how much have you watched the other teams around us to suggest they’ve got any of that?

Southampton certainly didn’t, the only thing they had over us was our inability to finish - another day and Kel scored a hat trick and we win comfortably.

Interesting how you use the Bournemouth game as a sign they are doing well - if that was us throwing away a 2 goal lead, I’m not sure it would have been seen on here as a sign we are staying up.

As for the goals, the mental gymnastics you’ve gone through to disprove we score more goals than anyone else is ridiculous!

The fact that you’re we’ve scored more in the 7 games you want to discount than 6 of the teams in the bottom nine have scored all season and use that as a negative is frankly weird.

The remaining 14 games you want to count is about the same goal scoring ratio as Forest, Wolves, Southampton and Everton.

You could then say the same for the goals against in the games against Arsenal, Brighton and Spurs if you wanted to look at a balanced view.

This really isn’t to say everything is rosy and all fantastic and perfect at the KP, but it’s no where near as bad as people are making out either - for how bad we are, and have been this season we are still above 5 teams, and within a win of 3 others.

We are not certainly going down, and we do score more goals than most.

I think based on not only what I’ve seen of us, but also what I’ve seen of Everton, Southampton, West Ham, Forest, Bournemouth, Leeds, Crystal Palace and Wolves - I think we will finish top of this 9 team mini league by the end of the season. 

Not being funny, but we have none of any of that so it won’t be hard the other teams to have more! We just don’t have the mentality for the fight. 

Re my Bournemouth example, it’s not a difficult point I was making, they lost by 1 goal (same outcome) but had a go. The point is that simple. They are probably the lowest quality (on paper) side in the league but gave a better account of themselves that we did against the same opposition.

The mental gymnastics dig is noted after I used that the other day to you, well done :appl:

Again, not a difficult point. Basically you’re suggesting we are this free scoring side that will score ourselves out of trouble. I take your point about the sides we have bagged most of those being a positive in a way, however, my point is that on a game by game basis, there is more chance we look blunt and can’t register a shot in target than be free scoring. 

I’ll take your word for it that in the remaining games, our scoring rate is similar to the completion. I would imagine them our defensive record is significantly worse!

In terms of your last bit, of course it is not certain we are going down, there’s a number of games to play. I do think it is highly likely which is where you will find yourself disagreeing with most of the forum.

Re the top of the mini league point. Thing is, looking at those teams, I can absolutely see your point that we should be, well expect Wolves who are a better side than us. But in my opinion, a number of those teams will end up ahead of us because of the proactive action they have taken. I’d be absolutely shocked if we finish ahead of Everton for example as well as Wolves and West Ham. Forest seem to be picking up results regularly also. Palace, a lot is said about their supposed difficult run in but the amount of times they turn up to an Etihad or Anfield and walk away with the points, I’d be surprised if they were seriously involved. That leaves Southampton, Bournemouth and Leeds.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Why? 

Since the World Cup we have failed to score in 7 league games out of 11,so I think your faith in scoring plenty is very misplaced.We continue in that vein and we are not picking up many points and certainly not enough to stay up.

Love your optimism, it’s not happening.

• Like 2

When we play poorly, we lose, sometimes badly. Teams that survive, similarly to those who win things, are able to get some points from games when they play poorly. 

Agree with the above that the consistent trend is our inability to defend our goal. We will be in danger for as long as it takes to rectify that. Do I think Rodgers is capable of fixing our defence? No. 

Edited by FoxesWalk

2 hours ago, OwnGoal said:

We need to learn to win ugly. We just don’t win by the odd goal anymore. We only win well. Relegation battles are about scrapping and nicking points you sometimes probably don’t deserve. When was the last time we got a shit house win. 

The trouble is we don’t have the bottle or game management to hold a 1 goal lead, we need to win comfortably.

• Like 1

Chelsea (H)

Brentford (A)

Crystal Palace (A)

Aston Villa (H)

Bournemouth (H)

Man City (A)

Wolves (H)

Leeds United (A)

Everton (H)

Fulham (A)

Liverpool (H)

Newcastle (A)

West Ham (H)

We need 5 wins from this. Preferably all coming before the liverpool game.   Id say there are 8/9 I think we have a chance in. Its scary reading tbh 

Chelsea (H)   L

Brentford (A) D

Crystal Palace (A) D

Aston Villa (H) D

Bournemouth (H) W

Man City (A) L 

Wolves (H) L

Leeds United (A) D

Everton (H) D

Fulham (A) L

Liverpool (H) L

Newcastle (A) L