Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Relegation

51 minutes ago, Walkerfox said:

This could unfortunately be a necessary evil. 

We need something to trigger a reshuffle of the board and probably sale of the club, because there’s no way we should trust them to oversee a complete rebuild of the squad with them and  the staff they currently employ. 

Going down will allow us to quietly reset over the next few seasons. Could be a very long time until we’re back in the premier league but hopefully when we do, it’ll be with a clear, well structured plan in place (pretty much like last time). Let’s hope history repeats itself. 

There's a lot of truth in this though I never see relegation as necessary. I do think it is highly likely though.

The whole club needs a massive overhaul though. Ridiculous money wasted on a training ground that isn't doing any good for the club whatsoever.

We will need to appoint a manager with a whole club approach and be prepared to give them time. The youth set up, recruitment, medical team and training methods all need a complete overhaul.

The playing staff will get one but will take years to get back a Premier League standard squad. If we drop down I can't see us returning for several years. I can see a few years in the doldrums of mid to lower end Championship though.

New owners may also be required. But we've gambled the future of the club against future TV income which looks highly likely to not be forthcoming.

Edited by reynard

2 minutes ago, reynard said:

There's a lot of truth in this though I never see relegation as necessary. I do think it is highly likely though.

The whole club needs a massive overhaul though. Ridiculous money wasted on a training ground that isn't doing any good for the club whatsoever.

We will need to appoint a manager with a whole club approach and be prepared to give them time. The youth set up, recruitment, medical team and training methods all need a complete overhaul.

The playing staff will get one but will take years to get back a Premier League standard squad. If we drop down I can't see us returning for several years. I can see a few years in the doldrums of mid to lower end Championship though.

New owners may also be required. But we've gambled the future of the club against futre TV income which looks highly likely to not be forthcoming.

The danger with new owners though is we get the typical American owners (Glazers) who finance the purchase with debt which sits on our balance sheet. 

if we don’t stay in the PL or quickly bounce back we struggle even more based on lower commercial revenues.

1 minute ago, JimmyC74 said:

The danger with new owners though is we get the typical American owners (Glazers) who finance the purchase with debt which sits on our balance sheet. 

if we don’t stay in the PL or quickly bounce back we struggle even more based on lower commercial revenues.

Yes I agree. I'm not saying it will definitely happen but if we are relegated King Power as a company may not feel there is any financial worth in continuing to back us especially if, as seems quite possible, any absence from the top flight is lengthy.

I don't think US backers would be at all interested in us as our off field revenue streams are really very poor and hard to increase substantially.

2 minutes ago, reynard said:

Yes I agree. I'm not saying it will definitely happen but if we are relegated King Power as a company may not feel there is any financial worth in continuing to back us especially if, as seems quite possible, any absence from the top flight is lengthy.

I don't think US backers would be at all interested in us as our off field revenue streams are really very poor and hard to increase substantially.

We defo need new investment. The challenge as always is finding the right party.

we still have a bit of brand value based on the EPL and FA cup wins so am sure there will be interest

3 minutes ago, JimmyC74 said:

We defo need new investment. The challenge as always is finding the right party.

we still have a bit of brand value based on the EPL and FA cup wins so am sure there will be interest

I think there is a difference between investment and ownership. )wners either do it for ego (as in the Middle East oil money investors) sometimes combined with some form of sentimental attachment to a club  (guy trying to buy Man utd whose name I can't recall) however weak that is or because they can get something out of it financially.

I've always thought or off field revenue is poor and will only get worse with relegation. 

Foreign investors especially want TV exposure which really only occurs in the PL or in European competitions. Yes our brand was strong back in 2016 but we will soon be ten years away from winning the league and I'm not sure how much the sole FA Cup win would matter now.

6 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

It is slightly irritating me how some people can’t see how detrimental relegation will be for us. Fans around me were saying “I prefer the championship, it’s more fun”….  

We’ve already know finances are tight, and that’s with the PL revenue…. So with financial issues, and no PL revenue how will things be any better? 

There won’t be a reset, there will be a mass clear out by necessity….. just to function.

So many aspects of the club will be impacted by relegation…. The stadium won’t be as full, in order to be full ticket prices would have to be dropped, meaning a loss of revenue….. 

Then you’ve got the issue of this new training facility? How on Earth will we be able to run this properly with a massively reduced income? Something will have to give, and you fear the ladies team will suffer as they will probably have to sell the old training ground to generate funds…..

On top of this you’ve then got the stadium expansion? What will happen there? As it will have to go ahead because that’s what we’ve taken the loan out for? So that’s another unnecessary expense the club will have to compete with. 

Then you’ve got the squad. Naturally a lot of players are leaving due to their contracts, however, some of those players are valuable assets, so we won’t be getting any money for half of them….. then we will have to sell the big earners to reduce the wage bill and we will have to generate funds….. so you’re thinking Faes, Ricardo, N’didi, Maddison, Barnes, Soumare, Daka, and Kalechi…. To name a few will have to go.

Which leaves us with having to find a squad, with a limited budget, and try to sort the rest of the club out in the meantime. 

The championship is a very unforgiving league….. I genuinely fear back to back relegations, just because of the sheer size of the task ahead….. we’ve ****ed up massively over the last two seasons, and have to undo all of that and rebuild in a summer following relegation? Wow. 

As is common to reply.

This This and This some more!

We should also add the implications for redundancies among the general staff of the club and the detrimental effect of relegation on local businesses.

Edited by reynard
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

It is slightly irritating me how some people can’t see how detrimental relegation will be for us. Fans around me were saying “I prefer the championship, it’s more fun”….  

We’ve already know finances are tight, and that’s with the PL revenue…. So with financial issues, and no PL revenue how will things be any better? 

There won’t be a reset, there will be a mass clear out by necessity….. just to function.

So many aspects of the club will be impacted by relegation…. The stadium won’t be as full, in order to be full ticket prices would have to be dropped, meaning a loss of revenue….. 

Then you’ve got the issue of this new training facility? How on Earth will we be able to run this properly with a massively reduced income? Something will have to give, and you fear the ladies team will suffer as they will probably have to sell the old training ground to generate funds…..

On top of this you’ve then got the stadium expansion? What will happen there? As it will have to go ahead because that’s what we’ve taken the loan out for? So that’s another unnecessary expense the club will have to compete with. 

Then you’ve got the squad. Naturally a lot of players are leaving due to their contracts, however, some of those players are valuable assets, so we won’t be getting any money for half of them….. then we will have to sell the big earners to reduce the wage bill and we will have to generate funds….. so you’re thinking Faes, Ricardo, N’didi, Maddison, Barnes, Soumare, Daka, and Kalechi…. To name a few will have to go.

Which leaves us with having to find a squad, with a limited budget, and try to sort the rest of the club out in the meantime. 

The championship is a very unforgiving league….. I genuinely fear back to back relegations, just because of the sheer size of the task ahead….. we’ve ****ed up massively over the last two seasons, and have to undo all of that and rebuild in a summer following relegation? Wow. 

Agree with a lot of this.

maybe the lack of summer spending /  clearing of debt and holding off of the expansion was to explore attracting investment / a potential sale.

regardless of why, the board have allowed us to drift this season and we may suffer the ultimate penalty in relegation.

this season has been a fookin disaster.

I still think we can do it, but Saturday has to be a win or we'll have to do it the hard way and I can't see that happening. I see we could get points in the following;

I think we need 3 more wins, I think we can get them in these games;

Bournemouth (3)

Everton (3)

West Ham (3)

Then I think we need at least 2 points from the following games

Leeds

Wolves

Fulham

Bonus Games:

Man City

Liverpool

Newcastle

That will put us on a total of 36 points which I think will be enough. I think its either Forest, Everton or us, going down with Soton and Bournemouth.

While it's a risk, I'm not concerned about an immediate double drop into League One unless finances are even worse than people  here currently have concerns about.

Newcastle were a right mess in 2009 and they went up as Champions. It's just more likely that we get ensnared in the bear trap, and end up living in the wrong end of the table for years.

Edited by Mike the Metal Ed

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/04/premier-league-fixture-difficulty-2022-23-opta-power-rankings/

Interestingly it looks like out of the 9 teams that could go down, it looks like we have the 2nd easiest run in, behind palace who play most of the teams below them. Forest have got one of the tougher run-ins too.

I'm massively clutching at straws to find some hope somewhere. Still have the belief we can do it.

4 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/04/premier-league-fixture-difficulty-2022-23-opta-power-rankings/

Interestingly it looks like out of the 9 teams that could go down, it looks like we have the 2nd easiest run in, behind palace who play most of the teams below them. Forest have got one of the tougher run-ins too.

I'm massively clutching at straws to find some hope somewhere. Still have the belief we can do it.

Seeing Forest’s run last night after the match made me feel a bit more hopeful. Just need to hope we don’t go down with them.

14 hours ago, Adrian said:

I wonder what odds you can get on us winning the premier league title in 2023-24?

Knowing how tight the bookies are maybe 1000/1 whilst we in the championship.

After our win they have tightened up since.  Which shows it wasnt profitable for them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Someone give me a stat that at least provides some hope because I’m trying to find one and failing.

We have beaten 4 of the teams we have still to play this season.

12 minutes ago, shailen said:

As bad as it seems now, we actually had 6 less points at this stage in 2014/15 and were 7 points from safety, so whilst it's bleak, it's not as bad as it was back then. 

The difference is we had leaders in that squad (Cambiaso, Morgan and Schmeichel) and bought in Huth to bolster us.  Winners with a winning mentality and balls of steel.

We now have a squad of generic pussies.  No balls at all, and no leader as Rogers doesn't like dissent (see Schmeichel).  Everything points to relegation.  Just hope we can get Tielemans fit for at least 6 of the games as he and Maddison in the middle actually give us a chance.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

It feels like the whole season hinges on Saturday. Lose that (and against Man City) then we’ll start to be cut adrift. 

Probably the biggest game since the 2015/16 season.

If we lose we go 5pts behind Bournemouth with 8 games left, that seems miles away for us. A few days ago 4pts separated the bottom nine but it's increasingly looking like three from four or five.

I still think we will probably finish above Southampton, Forest and Bournemouth but I won't think that if we don't beat Bournemouth.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, shailen said:

As bad as it seems now, we actually had 6 less points at this stage in 2014/15 and were 7 points from safety, so whilst it's bleak, it's not as bad as it was back then. 

I had far more hope then, dispite things being much worse.

In fact, the only time I've registered on another teams forum was at that time  to tell some Spurs fans I think we could survive. They laughed, though who could blame them.

This time, I have little/no optimism.

Worth just reflecting:-

Not a defeatist post by any stretch, and I still want, and hope that we'll "fight like bears," (to quote Jock Wallace) until the end of the season, (although I'm not sure a lot of the players are up for that). However, the purple patch we've had has really been just that. I'm not from Leicester. I'm from Leeds, and grew up in a family of Leeds fans during the height of the Revie period. For reasons I won't bore you with, I turned my back on Leeds and adopted Jimmy Bloomfield's Leicester around 1974, and have supported them ever since.

I've witnessed a Premier League win, an F.A. Cup win, and two League Cups. For that same calibre of trophy, my brother, the Leeds fan has witnessed one League Division One win in the same time, (I think that's right). If I'd adopted Newcastle, I'd still be waiting for anything in that same time period. So yes it's disappointing at the moment, but belive me we've been spoilt rotten.

I'm trying to get my five year old grandson to follow Leeds, (just easier getting to matches, and all his mates will be Leeds etc.) but at the moment he seems to want to follow grandad down the Leicester City road, (he'll be there on Saturday - 200 mile round trip). If he stays with City, he may well not see any trophies in his lifetime. I may just have to recall the glory days to him. He may pick up a couple at Leeds over the years if he follows them, who knows, but one thing's for sure is that we've had a good run. If he sees us win what I've seen us win he'll be doing okay. So, as bad as it is, we should still be buoyant about what's happened in recent seasons.

Ignore the morons taking the piss on Twitter etc. Here's to staying up, but if not, here's to my grandson's first trophy - a Championship title next season.

Edited by Twitcher
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

The difference is we had leaders in that squad (...Schmeichel)...

If I was writing a list of 'bullet points' as to Foxes' recent decline, the first two I'd write in would be the helicopter crash and losing Kasper Schmeichel...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JimmyC74 said:

And let us not underplay how difficult that actually is. How many owners can people point to that get everything right, as well as investing their own money and not just loading the club with debt.

Trying to grow the club on and off the pitch is a knife edge balancing act with plenty of risks. They’ve got some wrong, but we did under Vichai. People act like he was faultless.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fox 4 Life said:

Mitrovic returns for Fulham's game against Soton, the last game he is banned is against us.

This is good for us I guess, but Paulinha is their key player imo, top class, makes them tick