Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Relegation

On 10/04/2023 at 16:24, Tielemans63 said:

The Blackburn game in the cup was a real eye-opener. The championship is going to be horrible, there's some very good players down there. My fear is that the current squad, with a distinct lack of leadership and any semblance of fight, will struggle massively in the Championship.

I'd expect us to be closer to the bottom than the top

That was the day I thought... we better not go down because I don't see us coming back up without a severe shift in attitude.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

That was the day I thought... we better not go down because I don't see us coming back up without a severe shift in attitude.

It was just another reason why Rodgers had to go. Any argument of letting him bring us back up: 1) he would not have stayed with us in the championship. 2) we needed a big shift in attitude and culture regardless. If somehow he had stayed I had no faith that he would have us challenging for promotion. He would absolutely get shithoused by a Neil Warnock team on a cold Tuesday night and blame it on being a cold Tuesday night. 

If we do go down...remember that feeling when we scored and got lost in the moment? We'll get that back. Nowadays when we score I'm partly thinking about VAR rearing its ugly head. It's not all bad news in championship. The main downside for me is being there too long. That's the unknown. Hate VAR with a passion...even though it has gone in our favour from time to time. 

• Like 1

It is presumably only a matter of time before VAR makes it to the Championship so it'd be just our luck for it to be the season we end up back in that hellscape. I swear I remember reading they were planning on having some sort of cheap version of it with fewer cameras involved in place for the start of next season anyway.

Looking at the table, it's really clear that it's our home form that has killed us this season. Just 12 points from 15 matches!! If we'd only got the third lowest number of points at home, we'd have 31 points overall and be in a strong position to stay up. 

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Same here. That was a proper 'oh shit' moment. People thinking we're going to go down and blaze it are dreaming. Burnley have done okay because they have fighters and grafters in their side.

The reason I see us being relegated is our midfield. We have the perfect squad to defend and play on the counter - a decent enough defence (I know, but it hasn't been helped by the useless coaching and tactics) and a strong attack with players that can attack the transition really well -Barnes, Maddison, Iheanacho, even Daka and Tete I think would perform well. But our midfield will not be able to hold everything together.

Like:

Daka Maddison

Barnes ______ ______ Tete

Kristiansen Souttar Faes Castagne/Pereira

Iversen

That team looks well equipped to take points. But who can you trust to play in a midfield two? If you drop Maddison back further, you just isolate whoever we play up front and we have the same issue as before. 

13 hours ago, Mike1983 said:

45E7E25F-BBA4-4FE2-AAA1-1C7379CC240A.jpeg

This Supercomputer had us as high as 12th the other week! It’s about as reliable as a Brendan teams and tactics selection :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

When you look at our starts since the World Cup, all Smith have to get the team to do is, well basically compete as if they deserve to be in the league. The amount of (or lack of shots we have per week) is disgraceful. 

Nice to see the training video with more emphasis on taking shots.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan

I’ve actually come round to thinking that the new managerial trio could give us half a chance of staying up.

Like Pearson, Shaky and Walsh, none of our players will want to piss these three about.

And also like Pearson, Shaky and Walsh, Shaky can remain ‘the good cop’ of the bunch. I have good accounts from a number of mates working at the club at that time, that was exactly the case. Pearson was top dog, but the players came mainly to Shakespeare to talk. He was the buffer between Pearson and players.

It’ll be an interesting dynamic. Smith and Terry can be fookers in their own right, I imagine. Terry particularly is a very strong character and apparently takes no messing.

What I think we’ll get now is more obvious team selections, some players might not wear a City shirt again, more clear tactics, fewer goals scored but fewer conceded.

It might just do…..

However, this will be AFTER the Man City game. They are SO good, I see it as a dead rubber for us. But I think we’ll now at least keep the score down.

On 11/04/2023 at 08:33, Leicester_Loyal said:

Surely sacking them earlier in the season (whilst 19th) and not with 8 games to go?

Hindsight is wonderful but what’s done is done and now we move on.   I am 100% confident that we will stay up.