Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Relegation

43 minutes ago, Bilo said:

I don't buy the argument that Top doesn't have the bollocks to sack Rodgers, or is unaware of what's happening. 

He sacked Puel less than three months after losing his dad; and Puel was pretty much universally agreed to have been superb in the wake of the tragedy, speaking eloquently and touchingly about Vichai, keeping the players' heads together in devastating circumstances and being the face of the club while Top mourned.

He isn't some wet-behind-the-ears kid, and I suspect that Rodgers' departure isn't far from his mind. It won't be far from Whelan's either. If he lasts until Thursday at all, he'll be gone if we lose.

Puel might have been a Vichai pick, with Rodgers been a Top pick. 

32 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

This argument is just ridiculous because it completely ignores anything thats happened previously.

Our form:

Last 6 games: 15th - 6 points.

Last 10 games: 15th - 10 points.

Last 6 home games: 14th - 6 points.

Last 6 away games: 13th - 6 points.

Final 10 games of last season: 11th - 14 points. Although it's important to remember we played Watford away who were already down and one of the worst performances I've ever seen.

Looking at a point a game and have another tough match coming up on Thursday. If we wait until the end of October before acting it might already be too late.

Isnt it funny when people pretend last season didnt exist?

1 minute ago, Chrysalis said:

Puel might have been a Vichai pick, with Rodgers been a Top pick. 

More likely a rudkin pick. He’s known him since he worked at Chelsea academy and Rudkin was working here.

Edited by westernpark
Clarity

I have a theory that one of the problems at LCFC is its training ground, which is far more than just that. With its 5-star apartments with balconies, quartz and marble flooring, conference halls, and a 9-hole golf course, maybe the players subconciously regard it as a Bultlin's holiday camp for millionaires rather than somewhere just to train hard and prepare for whoever they're playing next.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tsintskaro said:

So fans will be satisfied that we will stay in PL

They will praise board for it and will bully others who were concerned about bottom position

Thats the real problem here - the bar is getting low and right now 12-13-14th position will be enough for a lot people 

Totally agree, personally I've seen the sunny uplands and wont be content with the valleys for the next ten years, l dont expect silver every year but l do expect us to fight and entertain a bit along the way.

Atm we are grinding out defeats!

25 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Was trying to be constructive but putting a straw man argument like this ignores the shocking transfers IN that we've made under Rodgers. I don't disagree with much you say but this is the virtually the same Board that took us to heady heights in the first place with a proven model. Wasn't it Brendan that wanted a large squad to compete in the Europa League? We blew that tournament in a group we should have easily qualified from and failed to qualify again at all last season. Now we are reaping what was sowed.

But our extremely wage to revenue figures started *before* we even qualified for Europe and *before* Rodgers was even hired, they’re actually down now on what they were 3 seasons ago - that’s why we’re in danger with ffp. They grew massively every season since we won the league and started handing out massive contracts to players already at the club and on the disasterous transfer window in 2017. The club’s long term plan is clearly now to reduce that because it’s got out of control. Rodgers made bad signings, but if those signings had been good we’d still have overspent on wages.

The CL qualification likely wouldn’t even have covered it either because it’d mean we’d actually have to go deep into the competition which was unlikely going in as 4th seeds (it’s not the same as in 2017). It would’ve been unsustainable most likely regardless of Europe.

We tried to balanced this out by making one big sale every year, something we didn’t do last summer, but even then if you compare us to other clubs around us like Spurs or Everton it wasn’t sustainable. That isn’t the board giving Rodgers too much control, that’s the board 

I can’t find it now but someone on here recently posted a graph of how our wage bill has been spiraling out of control since 2017, reaching its peak in 2019-20 where it was higher than our actual revenue. We are 7th in the wage bill department in the division and we’re much closer to Spurs and Arsenal in 5th and 6th (actually not far from identical wage bill to Spurs) than we are to Everton who are a long way behind in 8th and that’s despite having a fraction of their revenue - and that’s despite the fact we’d still have a fraction of their revenue regardless of qualification for the CL or not and we’ve been heading that way consistently since 2017.

Our wage bill is unsustainable, it’s been that way really since before hiring Rodgers, qualifying for Europe would still not have brought our revenue up in line enough. The board negotiate wages, the board can choose our transfer budget, Rodgers doesn’t. He can say he wants a bigger squad but the board doesn’t then have to give out massive wages and even if Vestegaard or Bertrand had been good their wages were still there and high and we’d still be in exactly the same position.

Again, we’ll see in the future, but I think some of our fans are in for a rude awakening over the next 2 or 3 seasons if they believe the board haven’t made some serious errors and while Rodgers should go, whoever takes over from him is ultimately going to be taking over a job of seeing the squad and quality of the squad likely diminished and diminished while other clubs overtake without KP getting in some serious outside investment due to our unsustainable wage bill

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Guest itude
21 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Doubtful, sure he gets reports, but he has a business to run, and you cannot expect him to provide weekly reports or such nonsense. It’s not like we provide the funding for the club any longer.

Although maybe the programme would be the opportunity to do this?

But to be honest, with the wilful way people twist and misconstrue every single quote or statement made by the manager, do we really think it would help?   lol

I am not asking for weekly statements, or such nonsense...am I ?

One would do nicely considering our current situation.

You think that is not possible then ?

13 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Isnt it funny when people pretend last season didnt exist?

I find it funny people can’t separate seasons. We play seasons for a reason. Whatever happened last season has finished. Otherwise we minds well let strikers carry their numbers into following seasons. 

12 minutes ago, String fellow said:

I have a theory that one of the problems at LCFC is its training ground, which is far more than just that. With its 5-star apartments with balconies, quartz and marble flooring, conference halls, and a 9-hole golf course, maybe the players subconciously regard it as a Bultlin's holiday camp for millionaires rather than somewhere just to train hard and prepare for whoever they're playing next.

Sack… the training ground?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, itude said:

I am not asking for weekly statements, or such nonsense...am I ?

One would do nicely considering our current situation.

You think that is not possible then ?

Sorry, was not trying to be facetious, what specifically would you like to see?

Maybe I just cannot imagine how such communication would work? A press conference seems a little heavy handed.

1 hour ago, Bilo said:

I don't buy the argument that Top doesn't have the bollocks to sack Rodgers, or is unaware of what's happening. 

He sacked Puel less than three months after losing his dad; and Puel was pretty much universally agreed to have been superb in the wake of the tragedy, speaking eloquently and touchingly about Vichai, keeping the players' heads together in devastating circumstances and being the face of the club while Top mourned.

He isn't some wet-behind-the-ears kid, and I suspect that Rodgers' departure isn't far from his mind. It won't be far from Whelan's either. If he lasts until Thursday at all, he'll be gone if we lose.

God Puel really was a class act during that time. Genuinely didn’t put a foot wrong and he kept the club together. Really want him to do well somewhere. 

4 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

God Puel really was a class act during that time. Genuinely didn’t put a foot wrong and he kept the club together. Really want him to do well somewhere. 

He was great during that period to be fair, and he definitely had a task to clear out the old heads and rebuild (which he did well). However the way he treated King alone shows he's a bit of a n**

53 minutes ago, East Langton Fox said:

They won’t, Ranieri won us the league and he was sacked so they will do what’s required. 

When Ranieri was sacked the players had downed tools and after the sacking it emerged the coaching staff were also at odds with Ranieri's last minute change in tactics, it didn’t seem to me in yesterdays performance Rodger’s had lost the dressing room

33 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I find it funny people can’t separate seasons. We play seasons for a reason. Whatever happened last season has finished. Otherwise we minds well let strikers carry their numbers into following seasons. 

:blink:

So we gone from the guy has given us two 5th place finishes, to now previous seasons dont matter, which way is it?

Edited by Chrysalis

1 hour ago, tsintskaro said:

So fans will be satisfied that we will stay in PL

They will praise board for it and will bully others who were concerned about bottom position

Thats the real problem here - the bar is getting low and right now 12-13-14th position will be enough for a lot people 

15th is my prediction, and although I wouldn’t snap your hand off for it, I’d be tempted to take that now based on what we’ve seen so far, and the direction of travel. 

1 hour ago, itude said:

And how long does credit for doing that last exactly then ?

The guy literally said in February this squad isn’t good enough- and expectations need to be reigned in if signings aren’t made - you think he wants to play amartey?

On 27/08/2022 at 17:09, ealingfox said:

No point dancing around it. It's now a proposition this season, even if you don't think its a serious one, it's much closer to that than it should be. Without making substantive changes we are in trouble.

We might not be one of the 3 worst teams in the league, but we're certainly amongst the 3 worst-performing.

Would we survive going down? I can't imagine that many of our players have relegation clauses.

We have played 2 of the best teams in the league away from home. Yes things are not great at the moment, yes they need to improve but some of the histeria on here is a bit much. 

If after 10 games it's looking no better panic then. For now get behind the team

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, martyn said:

We've also played 2 of the worst at home

Yes true. And I'm not suggesting we are good or fine and nothing needs to change just we need to get a bit of perspective it. Being bottom at the moment means nothing. In a few more games if nothing changes then it will. But I'm still hoping after the team settles after the window closes we will improve

• Like 1

Perhaps it will make me look a fool by seasons end but I'm still not that worried. It is based on a lot of ifs and buts but I honestly feel we've been our own worse enemy so far. Even had we just held on vs Brentford, I don't think we'd be having this conversation now. Just like if we win next week and leave the bottom 3, the convo will die substantially. People are fickle.

We've had a 4-game stretch including two away at two top-6 sides (where we should have come away with at least a point, collectively), should have gotten at least a point against Soton and shoulda beat Brentford. In a different year or even in a different part of the season, results would have been different.

Ultimately, also still Rodgers in - unless we're still in relegation zone at Xmas. Let's see how the rest of the transfer window goes, with Fofana gone that may settle things a little and let's see who we buy. I think instead of finishing in the top 10, this start will probably mean we finish 11th or 12th instead. That's my glass half-full take.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Let's not turn on Top ffs. 

We have no idea of any internal conversations the club have. We have no idea on the conversation Top has with Rodgers. 

But suddenly it's all his fault. Come on, people. Let's not exaggerate and pin the downfall on him. 

He's also not beyond criticism. Him, Whelan and Rudkin. 

• Like 2