Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Relegation

33 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'd be amazed if there isn't at least one surprise result from us, Leeds, Forest and Everton in the difficult fixtures we all have left, probably more than 1 shock. 

It's too ridiculous to call but we hopefully have gained confidence in the last 2 results in how we've fought back when things haven't gone our way. Momentum with barely any fixtures left is absolutely crucial because the nuances that can become far more decisive at this stage of the season will make this utterly torturous for those involved.

Beat Everton and the confidence should be high. I’m not concerned about Fulham away, I think they’re packing up for the season, so we should get a result there. Then at home, Monday night, last team to play out of the bottom cluster of clubs, to an inconsistent Liverpool team? Absolutely fancy that. Naughty 2-0 there and it could be enough to see us safe. 

This will be the season Everton finally go for me, they’ve shit themselves. 

39 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'd be amazed if there isn't at least one surprise result from us, Leeds, Forest and Everton in the difficult fixtures we all have left, probably more than 1 shock. 

It's too ridiculous to call but we hopefully have gained confidence in the last 2 results in how we've fought back when things haven't gone our way. Momentum with barely any fixtures left is absolutely crucial because the nuances that can become far more decisive at this stage of the season will make this utterly torturous for those involved.

Liverpool are an inconsistent mess, a confident Leicester playing at a fired up King Power could very believably win that. 

Elland Road will be right up for a very wobbly Tottenham on the last day of the season for whom it will be a dead rubber. 

Arsenal will likely have lost hope of catching Man City and will be on the beach by the time they play Forest and Chelsea are already there. 

Everton have got clubs to play who probably won't have anything to play for in Brighton, Bournemouth and Wolves. 

Wouldn't surprise me at all if one or more of the four of us puts a run together out of defiance or just pure dumb luck. 

We're still the best equipped. If the general malaise around the club continues to lift and Smith can keep their heads up we still have the best team by far.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The playing field has been levelled somewhat, for most in the PL with the distributed TV money that's much higher than the rest of Europe. Now the more established clubs that still don't generate the commercial revenue of the big 6/7 can't automatically get the better players than the likes of Brighton, Bournemouth etc. 

We have been left behind in our innovation and off the field running of the club and its galling. I don't see this current ownership solving it either because it means a huge shake up at board level and their loyalty to Rudkin and others makes it highly unlikely.

We've had our time in the sun, the best we will now do under Top and his family is be an average PL club. Not necessarily unacceptable but hard to really accept given what we achieved and the foundations we had to cement ourselves.

There have been adverts for job postings within the club looking for innovative methods to achieve success on and off the pitch, so I think the club are aware of it. I think it's one reason why Thomas Frank was so admired by the board, they are super impressed with the way Brentford restructured, taking bold risks like getting rid of their youth teams to focus on a better U23 team that meant a clearer pathway into the first team and saving money. I don't think we'd ever do it, but the point is more the thinking behind the move.

Dean Smith was also at Brentford and helped in those early days, which is one reason why I think he's a good appointment. We are at the end of a cycle, the end of the Brendan Rodgers era. That means it's going to take a while to build everything back up and make a competitive team and I think Smith / Shakespeare / Terry is quite a good combination whilst we do that. I don't think we will win anything (other than maybe the Championship :ph34r:), but it would put us on a solid footing whilst we figure things out.

It's tough to be innovative though. Brentford and Brighton are run by people that have been running a sports analytics company for the best part of 10 years, and it's one reason why they are ahead of the pack at the moment in terms of recruitment. The league has also changed a lot, with pretty much every team playing a high line it means that you no longer stand out if you play that style yourselves. So how do you innovate in the current era? It's an interesting question. Maybe the best way is just to loan tons of Chelsea's mercenaries and use them to improve league position without paying 600m to do so! Seeing Nathan Opoku at OHL is also interesting, that's the first time it looks like we might be using that relationship in a positive manner. Brighton brought Caceido and loaned him out immediately to a Belgian club, which turbocharged his development. 

• Like 3

If Leeds and Forest both win this weekend....:nono:

If Monday wasn't big enough already, it would almost be a decider. 

I think I've accepted we are gone, obviously there is a decent chance we survive but I just think its written on the wall. Whoever goes down though, the Championship looks potentially strong next year. 

2 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

If Leeds and Forest both win this weekend....:nono:

If Monday wasn't big enough already, it would almost be a decider. 

I think I've accepted we are gone, obviously there is a decent chance we survive but I just think its written on the wall. Whoever goes down though, the Championship looks potentially strong next year. 

I think after the Bournemouth game the majority of us had sort of accepted it as the feeling around and within the club was just dire, under Smith and co we seem to have found a bit of an identity and genuinely look like we could pull it off even though its going to be very touch and go. As everyone says it's the new found hope that kills you! 

Just now, Lionator said:

If you were an Everton fan, why wouldn’t you want to get relegated? Year after year of failure, churn and not competing in any way. Might as well have a season or two visiting some new grounds. 

I think ots solely because they're one of the only teams not to be relegated in the Premier league era. I agree that it would probably revitalise them though

2 minutes ago, Lionator said:

If you were an Everton fan, why wouldn’t you want to get relegated? Year after year of failure, churn and not competing in any way. Might as well have a season or two visiting some new grounds. 

Because of their financial situation, and the new stadium being built heavily relying on Premier League TV money and sponsorship £££. They'll be screwed massively. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Klopp's lost 5 times out of 8 games away to us.

See this is the positivity we need.

Another stat - Leicester have won 7 out of the 8 times I've worn my Fox Leisure 98 away shirt. But only 2 in 17 times I have worn my James Maddison socks. 

• Haha 1

I'd want to go down if I were Everton and drain the swamp. I think another year of this from us and I'd want the same for us, I've major concerns we don't learn from this if we do get out of it. I think we've ruined most of what we'd built under Vichai and Top.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'd want to go down if I were Everton and drain the swamp. I think another year of this from us and I'd want the same for us, I've major concerns we don't learn from this if we do get out of it. I think we've ruined most of what we'd built under Vichai and Top.

Everton have bought vastly overrated players and put them on high salaries and have consistently overlooked their academy graduates. The transfer market has inflicted enormous damage on them , like it did with Leeds all those years ago. We have made too many mistakes as well. You cannot buy yourself to lasting success unless you have a bottomless pit of money like Man. City. Whatever happens to us , we need to focus on generating our own players and that means a root and branch clear out at youth level.

Edited by An Sionnach

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Liverpool are an inconsistent mess, a confident Leicester playing at a fired up King Power could very believably win that. 

Elland Road will be right up for a very wobbly Tottenham on the last day of the season for whom it will be a dead rubber. 

Arsenal will likely have lost hope of catching Man City and will be on the beach by the time they play Forest and Chelsea are already there. 

Everton have got clubs to play who probably won't have anything to play for in Brighton, Bournemouth and Wolves. 

Wouldn't surprise me at all if one or more of the four of us puts a run together out of defiance or just pure dumb luck. 

We're still the best equipped. If the general malaise around the club continues to lift and Smith can keep their heads up we still have the best team by far.

I don’t think for one second Arsenal will be on the beach. Arteta simply won’t have it. They will be at it right until the end. 

We need to remember as well Forest have been shocking, they also keep getting injury after injury and they played a deflated Brighton.

We can’t read anything into it unless they back it up with a win against Brentford. 

I think the “on the beach” is a bit of an urban myth, like the manager of the month curse, people only refer to it if the team in question loses. Brentford are quite capable of turning Forest over if they want to. 

No team will have an easy ride, but I’ve got a feeling we will put a run together. 

one game at a time. as mad as brandan was for saying it - it really is in our own hands. we go into the next few mondays knowing what we need to do. be it claw the points back to stay in distance as long as possible or to leap frog and escape the mire.

37 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Financially Everton wont cope if they went down. With the redevelopment of the new ground and historically ain't they one of the clubs never to have been outside the top flight?

I defo agree with you about our demise and we have taken atleast 3-4 steps backwards in the last 5 years.

The recruitment on the whole has been ridiculously poor.

Really interesting reading the Leicester perspective.

From what I saw vs Wolves and 2nd half v us you've get plenty in your locker to stay up, some very talented players.

Dunno what you guys think about Vardy these days but for me if he's fit you play him, always looks like a goal threat with his movement and finishing... couldn't believe that was his first in 19 or something 😳

I would say you will beat Everton as they are poor... but then so are we 🤷‍♂️

I know it's bad but I had to stifle a laugh at how bad our players were at times on Tuesday, proper shake of the head moments. 

Fwiw there's no way we beat Bournemouth which we have to do to have any hope at all. Nothing but defeats from City, Newcastle, West Ham and Spurs... you saw the quality of our players on Tuesday so you you'll know.

Frankly, just want the season to end, whatever happens. Its miserable!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LboroLeeds said:

Dunno what you guys think about Vardy these days but for me if he's fit you play him, always looks like a goal threat with his movement and finishing... couldn't believe that was his first in 19 or something 😳

Played out of position, with little to no service, being played in a way that doesn't benefit his strengths.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LboroLeeds said:

Fwiw there's no way we beat Bournemouth which we have to do to have any hope at all. Nothing but defeats from City, Newcastle, West Ham and Spurs... you saw the quality of our players on Tuesday so you you'll know.

We've also seen the quality of how Spurs play :ph34r:

32 minutes ago, Raj said:

Financially Everton wont cope if they went down. With the redevelopment of the new ground and historically ain't they one of the clubs never to have been outside the top flight?

The top two divisions. (i.e. never been down to the third tier)

Plus this...

Everton hold the record of playing most seasons in the top flight of English football, only ever playing four seasons out since the creation of the Football League in 1888. The club have played at the top level continuously since 1954, with only Arsenal having a longer unbroken run at the highest level.

Edited by Permafrost
the the
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

one game at a time. as mad as brandan was for saying it - it really is in our own hands. we go into the next few mondays knowing what we need to do. be it claw the points back to stay in distance as long as possible or to leap frog and escape the mire.

I am not sure playing after the other games on Mondays will be that helpful.

If I remember rightly when we won the Premier League... did I say that? did it happen? ..we tended to play before Tottenham, who were then "chasing us down". We often won the game before theirs and that put pressure on them and they slipped up to the likes of west Brom (home) and gloriously Chelsea (second battle of Stamford Bridge). 

Given our excessive fragility both mentally and in defence this season, I do not think playing last, whether it's after other threatened teams either winning or losing will play into our hands at all. Also we have a terrible record playing on Monday nights apart from the Forest 4-0 this season. 

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Because they define themselves against Liverpool and consider themselves to be a top 6 side

Yes really