Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Relegation

8 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

You can't. I work in a bookies and as you say it goes off popular opinion as much as data. That's why England are always one of the favourites in world cup markets

It works on liabilities as much as anything. England winning the World Cup would cost British bookies a fortune, which is why they offer miserly prices. In short, millions of people back England to lift the World Cup out of hope rather than expectation so it's a heart over head decision.

Relegation from the Premier League doesn't carry anything like the same emotive appeal or nationwide liability, so would tend to be based more on objective facts both in terms of the odds makers and the punters.

10 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

You can't. I work in a bookies and as you say it goes off popular opinion as much as data. That's why England are always one of the favourites in world cup markets

rubbish nowadays, maybe 20 years ago this was correct - betting is now a global phenomenon and with the internet anyone can look what the prices are in other countries at a single click. England are no shorter in the market here than in Timbuktu or China

bookies now have the models to be able to pin point exact probabilities and are happy to lay a bet at what they deem is a correct price, then just let their margins and variance do the work for them, it will all come back eventually

bookmaking as an art is dead, i.e. balancing the book on all sides to create a green number on all selections

this is for football betting, racing is a bit different.

Edited by Dave Fishwick
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

We needed to win today and at Fulham to have any chance of staying up 

What have you seen from Forest and even moreso Leeds and Everton to give us absolutely no chance? We are all woeful down there and no of the 5 really deserve to stay up.

Crap result, no denying it. Only thing is the psychological aspect of being out of the relegation zone and actually being up to 16th could have an impact (though playing on Monday again doesn't help!)

We had to win vs Everton, I really can’t see two wins here: 

Fulham

Liverpool

Newcastle 

West Ham 

Getting 2 points would be about right on form of these sides. 2 points and we are down. 4 points, we might survive, 6 points and we will survive. 

Just now, LVFox said:

We're done

Probably posts on Forest, Leeds, Everton and Southampton forums all saying the same thing!

• Like 1

We needed a performance today and only Iversen decided to have one.

I am going into relegation mindset; I can't be bothered with these fcukers giving me hope and dissapointing me again.

Just now, Tuna said:

Probably posts on Forest, Leeds, Everton and Southampton forums all saying the same thing!

100%. If anything I half feel all these clubs deserve the drop and they should just throw more clubs from the championship up. 

We are all absolutely woeful.