Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Relegation

The massive elephant in the room is our (lack of) depth of talent especially defensively, you can discount the mardy ar*e, he's not an option atm and when Evans is out who plays? Cags should be in right now for Amartey but imagine those two together against top class strikers/am's.

Our midfield is a little better but if Youri's form doesn't improve then there are few options.

Strikers  likewise, Vards is ineffective (and clearly cannot play 90mins every week) , Rodgers plainly dislikes Kels, Daka looks out of his class, Barnes is not a natural goalscorer (imo) and Rodgers wont give our young prospects a chance.

Add to this our long established lack of fight when our backs are to the wall and it don't look pretty.

So as the season progresses and we get our usual (under Rodgers)  huge injury list we will only get worse!

Talk of improvement is at best extremely optimistic and possibly deluded, other teams fighting to avoid the drop have made signings, have competant managers and will also improve.

I had a bad feeling about this season at the end of the last one and nothing has changed except we've lost our captain and are about to lose our best defender (when he deems to participate).

To others we are not special, we wont elicit  cries of shock and surprise if we go down, we are special to us and only us and to think otherwise is blinkered and self centred.

In short we are in real ttrouble.

Edited by J. James
Typo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

So why are people bleating about the table, because 4 games is short term.

Long term if it continues BR gets sack, if its true what we all think i.e his the problem we don't have a issue as long as the board is quick to act.

Being bottom now is just a culmination of our regression over the past 18 months.

• Like 2

I think the squad is too good to get relegated, I really feel that with a new manager and playing more attacking football and less sideways then we will be okay. However I do think we need to get BR out now so that the new manager has time to work out who can play where and what he likes before the Jan transfer window as he will need to know who he can get rid of. I do think we are wasting a lot of time just staying as we are, the players are better than they currently play. 

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
15 minutes ago, J. James said:

The massive elephant in the room is our (lack of) depth of talent especially defensively, you can discount the mardy ar*e, he's not an option atm and when Evans is out who plays? Cags should be in right now for Amartey but imagine those two together against top class strikers/am's.

Our midfield is a little better but if Youri's form doesn't improve then there are few options.

Strikers  likewise, Vards is ineffective (and clearly cannot play 90mins every week) , Rodgers plainly dislikes Kels, Daka looks out of his class, Barnes is not a natural goalscorer (imo) and Rodgers wont give our young prospects a chance.

Add to this our long established lack of fight when our backs are to the wall and it don't look pretty.

So as the season progresses and we get our usual (under Rodgers)  huge injury list we will only get worse!

Talk of improvement is at best extremely optimistic and possibly deluded, other teams fighting to avoid the drop have made signings, have competant managers and will also iimprove.

I had a bad feeling about this season at the end of the last one and nothing has changed except we've lost our captain and are about to lose our best defender (when he deems to participate).

To others we are not special, we wont elicit  cries of shock and surprise if we go down, we are special to us and only us and to think otherwise is blinkered and self centred.

In short we are in real ttrouble.

It honestly beggars belief that, how things stand now, our CB situation is Cags (who Rodgers doesn’t play), Amartey, Evans and Vestie

That’s a championship level defence.

If we don’t sign another, much better CB this week, we are in the shite. No doubt about it.

20 minutes ago, lcfcdamo said:

I watch forest against spurs yesterday and its sad we lack everything they bring fight determination like there lives depended on it yes we have more quality than them but we need that fight and determination to win every ball back 

Didn`t go to Chelsea I presume ??

23 hours ago, Product of 84 said:

That's why Vesteguard hasn't worked out because we want him to defend to high up the pitch. 

Play Vesteguard as he can play the balls required for this system. I'm sure that's what Nigel or Dyche would do. 

It's Veste time! I knew it'd come!

No, in all seriousness, it is an option if we want to change style for whatever reason.

Although our club is widely admired for the way it is run - there are times when it seems little better run than a Sunday league team.

The Silva fax fiasco, Ryans  Bennett and Bertrand, the on/off refresh, a farcical transfer window of which we received no warning , losing the spine of our team with no succession plans in place. The constant backdrop of injury - not Fofana, Justin but Maddison; NDidi, Barnes. Players  withdrawn shortly before or after kick off. No head of recruitment in hugely important recruitment period; set piece coach unable to take up his job. A team unable to do basics such as defend, a coach unable to address that problem.

Honestly if that’s a well run club I’d hate to see it being badly run. 

• Like 4

My fundamental worry is that there is very little dross this season. I think in the summer you’d have thought that teams like Leeds, Brighton and Brentford would be more likely to be dragged in than us but this hasn’t been transpired. Of course, we may still finish above these sides but they’ve all made fast starts and look very tidy.

This is a contrast to previous seasons, if you go back to around 17/18 and 18/19, there were useless teams. We finished 9th both seasons but I think if you fast forwarded to now, we would have been in a relegation battle. Higher spending has led to the league becoming even stronger.

I don’t think we will go personally but I do think we could easily get dragged in. It’s quite unique this season, I am only convinced that Bournemouth will go down, I really have no idea about the other two places. 

This definitely opens the door to a ‘surprise’ which could be us if we aren’t careful. We really have to improve quickly, and for me, this is precisely why I am Rodgers out. It’s risk v reward right now, high cost to sack him, but an even higher price to get relegated. I just don’t see anything changing (unless we sack him).

Edited by Matt_Lcfc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Fortunetly the season is played over 38 games and not 4.

Over the course of a season things will be different. I don't even know why they show the league table this early on. Look at us in 14/15, had a decent start, but once we were 10+ games in we were bottom and couldn't shift ourselves. 

Thank the lord for delivering some sense. Luckily for us, we have the players to get enough points to keep us up. Maddison and Vardy will likely do it. Back end of last season the sorted us out.

Rodgers can get on his bike but we’ve got some seriously talented players. 

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

So why are people bleating about the table, because 4 games is short term.

Long term if it continues BR gets sack, if its true what we all think i.e his the problem we don't have a issue as long as the board is quick to act.

Fans are concerned because we should be winning 2 of the four games. We now have Utd Spurs Brighton and Villa coming up in Sept.

How many of those are going to win. ? Utd and Spurs I doubt Brighton are playing really well and have been good against us recently. So unlikely to win that. That leaves Villa who are fighting for their lives are we.?

The simple fact is you've got to win your winnable games when you are struggling like we are. As you're not going to win to many against the big Clubs.  

7 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

My fundamental worry is that there is very little dross this season. I think in the summer you’d have thought that teams like Leeds, Brighton and Brentford would be more likely to be dragged in than us but this hasn’t been transpired. Of course, we may still finish above these sides but they’ve all made fast starts and look very tidy.

This is a contrast to previous seasons, if you go back to around 17/18 and 18/19, there were useless teams. We finished 9th both seasons but I think if you fast forwarded to now, we would have been in a relegation battle. Higher spending has led to the league becoming even stronger.

I don’t think we will go personally but I do think we could easily get dragged in. It’s quite unique this season, I am only convinced that Bournemouth will go down, I really have no idea about the other two places. 

This definitely opens the door to a ‘surprise’ which could be us if we aren’t careful. We really have to improve quickly, and for me, this is precisely why I am Rodgers out. It’s risk v reward right now, high cost to sack him, but an even higher price to get relegated. I just don’t see anything changing (unless we sack him).

Our defence is relegation standard - I agree with Col if we don’t fix that in the next three to four days I think the trap door beckons. We’re conceding two a game as standard - you can’t win many games while that’s the case ….

10 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

Our defence is relegation standard - I agree with Col if we don’t fix that in the next three to four days I think the trap door beckons. We’re conceding two a game as standard - you can’t win many games while that’s the case ….

My defence is the worry also. Not concerned about scoring, we don’t create that many chances but Maddison, Barnes and Vardy will put the ball in the back of the net. 

I am not sure that our defence is relegation standard. Performance wise yes, but Justin, Evans, Soyuncu and Castagne have proven to PL quality, they all just look devoid of confidence.

2 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

I am not sure that our defence is relegation standard. Performance wise yes, but Justin, Evans, Soyuncu and Castagne have proven to PL quality, they all just look devoid of confidence.

Maybe but that’s three of the four who’ve played so far this season. And if BR does play them together and it works - there’s a huge drop off once we get injuries or suspensions 

We have to go some to reach the lows of our Great Escape year 2014/15 - first 5 games W 2, D 2, L1 - 5th game MU at home famously 5-3 then only drew 2 out of 13 all others lost. Co-incidentaly MU at home for the 5th game again on Thursday...it's imperative we win that 5-3...

Edited by norwichfox
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Thank the lord for delivering some sense. Luckily for us, we have the players to get enough points to keep us up. Maddison and Vardy will likely do it. Back end of last season the sorted us out.

Rodgers can get on his bike but we’ve got some seriously talented players. 

The spine of the team has been seriously downgraded.Glaringly obvious there is a problem.We are a Maddison injury away from real struggle

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

We have to go some to reach the lows of our Great Escape year 2014/15 - first 5 games W 2, D 2, L1 - 5th game MU at home famously 5-3 then only drew 2 out of 13 all others lost. Co-incidentaly MU at home for the 5th game again on Thursday...it's imperative we win that 5-3...

These days we'll score 5 and concede 3 in stoppage time. 

So the end result is 5-10 and we're losing anyway :ph34r:

I'm starting to get the same thoughts about us that I did at the end of the first season under Peter Taylor. Lost  a core player and recruited expensive ones who weren't any good. A manager who was well thought of by the media but was losing the dressing room and tactically inept.

Yes we have better players now but so do all teams. I can see us with 1 point after 8 games and we won't recover from that whoever we bring in as manager.

Every game in this league is difficult but you have to pick up points in home matches against teams like Brentford and Southampton or you are going to be in trouble.  

• Like 3