Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Relegation

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

If you stay up, you deserve to.

Anyone who just survives relegation is going to be a bad team.  The board has made a complete hash of things, and no one could cry injustice if we do go down.  But if you survive you're one of the 17 who did, not the three who didn't, and sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Your right it's just hard to believe we could be. 2 losses to Southampton! Thank god for that run before the world cup after Faes came in.

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

I’m not sure about this. There’s two ways to look at it. In the context of the stand alone season and by general standards across the league.

If one or more teams stay up with 33 or 34 points then it just means not having been as dire as others. Whether that equates to ‘deserving it’ is debatable.

In terms of the league as a whole, most years that would see you go down. Similarly, when West Ham went down on 42 points, did that means they deserved it? I’d argue that more generally, no as they achieved a points total that has always otherwise been comfortably safe. It’s like the opposite to that. 

The only thing that counts is the season itself though. That's all there is. The best and worst teams that season are the best and worst teams - that season.

By your logic we didn't really deserve our league title because our points total that season wouldn't have won it any season since!

The three worst teams over 38 games are relegated and after playing everyone joke and away deservedly so, you could say we’ve had a poor season, but if we’re not one of the bottom 3 at it’s conclusion we don’t deserve to go down.

It’s really that simple, the same as the team at the top when the final whistle goes is deservedly crowned champions.

18 minutes ago, Torquay Gunner said:

Hope you guys stay up, as I will miss your match reports particularly when playing us. 😉

I hope so, just to see Arsenal carry on their journey to become the new Spurs.

3 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I hope so, just to see Arsenal carry on their journey to become the new Spurs.

Spurs being being Spursy they will always be the best at:D but Arsenal just have to have patience, they are after all going up against a well oiled machine, he he :whistle:

Is anyone else actually kinda enjoying this? In a masochistic sorta way? 

I've never been so animated watching other games involving our rivals. Can't wait for Everton this pm (which, I'm expecting the two eventual survivors to have pulled off two big results against the odds. I wouldn't be surprised if this might be one of them)

43 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I've never been so animated watching other games involving our rivals. Can't wait for Everton this pm (which, I'm expecting the two eventual survivors to have pulled off two big results against the odds. I wouldn't be surprised if this might be one of them)

Everton play tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

No. This has been grim.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

It certainly makes it more interesting than hovering around midtable with nowhere to go, but out of any of the races, I think the race to the bottom is the worst feeling one. But it certainly perks up your interest in other results.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

The three worst teams over 38 games are relegated and after playing everyone joke and away deservedly so, you could say we’ve had a poor season, but if we’re not one of the bottom 3 at it’s conclusion we don’t deserve to go down.

I agree, but I look at it slightly differently. After our abysmal start to the season and at least one similarly bad patch since, if we don't go down it'll be a b****y miracle...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Phil Bowman said:

The only thing that counts is the season itself though. That's all there is. The best and worst teams that season are the best and worst teams - that season.

By your logic we didn't really deserve our league title because our points total that season wouldn't have won it any season since!

That’s why I clearly differentiated between the season in question and generally!

Sorry I just don’t see for example, staying up on 33 points because 3 teams were marginally more dire as something to celebrate. It’s just good fortune and not deserved. Any other season we likely go down. Just like when West Ham went down on 42, it was unfortunate for them that it happened to be a freak year when there was a total unprecedented needed to stay up.

You’re the one that has brought our title win up so ok. No we were not lucky in the sense that we were the best side that season. But yes we were fortunate that we had that year the season we did as any other year we wouldn’t have achieved that. Same as Liverpool were unfortunate to get 97 points and not win the title as any other year they probably would. I’m referring to good and bad fortune based on timing and circumstance!

Another example, Notts County in the National League. 107 points but not promoted because Wrexham got 110. So by your logic they didn’t deserve promotion anyway despite getting the second highest ever points total in the leagues history? 

3 hours ago, Torquay Gunner said:

Hope you guys stay up, as I will miss your match reports particularly when playing us. 😉

But we've only played you twice. 52 years ago in the FA Cup and 13 years ago in the League Cu..

...Oh, wait, you're another West Country Arsenal 'supporter' that doesn't come from London?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ithuriel said:

Spurs being being Spursy they will always be the best at:D but Arsenal just have to have patience, they are after all going up against a well oiled machine, he he :whistle:

There's something in the water in North London to be fair. Told it tastes better in bottles. :ph34r:

So as it stands:

15. West Ham - 34 games / 34 points

16. Leicester - 34 games / 30 points

17. Leeds - 35 games / 30 points

———————————————
18. Forest - 34 games / 30 points

19. Everton - 34 games / 29 points

20. Southampton - 34 games / 24 points

West Ham have Man U, Brentford, Leeds and Leicester. 

Leicester have Fulham, Newcastle, Liverpool and West Ham.

Leeds have Newcastle, West Ham and Spurs.

Everton have Brighton,  Man City, Wolves and Bournemouth. 

Forest have Southampton, Chelsea, Arsenal and Palace. 

Southampton have Forest, Fulham, Brighton and Liverpool.

We need a result against Fulham, as I can’t see us taking anything from Liverpool or Newcastle. 

Going into the last day, I think it’ll look something like:

15: West Ham - 37 points

16: Forest - 33 points and could only go down on Goal difference.

17: Leicester - 31 points - We’ll need to beat West Ham, as I could see Leeds beating Spurs. 

————————————

18: Leeds - 30 points - They have Spurs last day, so who knows.

19: Everton - 29 points - I could see them besting Bournemouth on the Final day.

20: Southampton - 24 points - Already relegated.

Edited by Sly

8 minutes ago, Sly said:

So as it stands:

15. West Ham - 34 games / 34 points

16. Leicester - 34 games / 30 points

17. Leeds - 35 games / 30 points

———————————————
18. Forest - 34 games / 30 points

19. Everton - 34 games / 29 points

20. Southampton - 34 games / 24 points

West Ham have Man U, Brentford, Leeds and Leicester. 

Leicester have Fulham, Newcastle, Liverpool and West Ham.

Leeds have Newcastle, West Ham and Spurs.

Everton have Brighton,  Man City, Wolves and Bournemouth. 

Forest have Southampton, Chelsea, Arsenal and Palace. 

Southampton have Forest, Fulham, Brighton and Liverpool.

Amazing the similarities in run ins. 2 X difficult v 2 X fairly doable

Just now, Paninistickers said:

Amazing the similarities in run ins. 2 X difficult v 2 X fairly doable

Yes, it’s so tight. 

If Southampton beat Forest (I can’t see it happening), however then that opens up a great final few weeks for the neutral. 

5 minutes ago, Sly said:

We need a result against Fulham, as I can’t see us taking anything from Liverpool or Newcastle. 

Going into the last day, I think it’ll look something like:

15: West Ham - 37 points

16: Forest - 33 points and could only go down on Goal difference.

17: Leicester - 31 points - We’ll need to beat West Ham, as I could see Leeds beating Spurs. 

————————————

18: Leeds - 30 points - They have Spurs last day, so who knows.

19: Everton - 29 points - I could see them besting Brighton on the Final day.

20: Southampton - 24 points - Already relegated.

Would be shocked if both Everton & Leeds fail to pick up any points from their next three. Everton could easily get something against at least Wolves, and Leeds against West Ham. It's very wishful thinking to think we could lose our next three (or draw one) and go into the final day outside the bottom three.

Edited by Mark_w

1 minute ago, Sly said:

Yes, it’s so tight. 

If Southampton beat Forest (I can’t see it happening), however then that opens up a great final few weeks for the neutral. 

Although the likelihood it's 2 from 4 to join Southampton, I'm reluctant to rule them out. As you say, a shit or busy win at Forest basically puts them just one win from safety. 

Likewise, the glorious happy hammers are quite capable of losing 4 on the spin under Moyes. They do that frequently 

14 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Although the likelihood it's 2 from 4 to join Southampton, I'm reluctant to rule them out. As you say, a shit or busy win at Forest basically puts them just one win from safety. 

Likewise, the glorious happy hammers are quite capable of losing 4 on the spin under Moyes. They do that frequently 

Southampton beating Forest would do us a massive favour.