Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Relegation

50 minutes ago, Sly said:

Southampton beating Forest would do us a massive favour. 

44 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

If one is going to win that would be the favourable result 

Southampton winning that game dooms Forest imo.

Chelsea have finally got that much-needed win and could spank Forest at Stamford Bridge with a bit of confidence, then it's Arsenal at home who still aren't dead in the title race followed by a tricky trip to Selhurst on the last day where Hodgson takes charge for potentially the last game of his career and Zaha bows out of Palace as his contract runs out. They'll want, and probably get, a result.

Forest lose tomorrow and I see, at best, one more point for them this season and their mercifully short return to the big time brought to a whimpering end.

Edited by Bilo

3 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Although the likelihood it's 2 from 4 to join Southampton, I'm reluctant to rule them out. As you say, a shit or busy win at Forest basically puts them just one win from safety. 

Likewise, the glorious happy hammers are quite capable of losing 4 on the spin under Moyes. They do that frequently 

That aged well. Pity..I think they are absolute crap. Absolute trash non entities like Fornals and Parquet and Benrahma

8 hours ago, Line-X said:

But we've only played you twice. 52 years ago in the FA Cup and 13 years ago in the League Cu..

...Oh, wait, you're another West Country Arsenal 'supporter' that doesn't come from London?

Mmmn, well I don't actually originate from the West Country, but even if I did so what? I doubt everyone on this site was born in Leicester. 🤣

Clean sheets 

we are where we are because we can’t keep a clean sheet 

those who are safe are there because they can keep clean sheets.  You only need one shut out and a fluke goal to gain three points. 

I think that if we don’t keep a clean sheet in our last four games then we will be relegated - deservedly 

(and you may have noticed that iverson has failed to manage this feat despite being a better shot stopper than the previous incumbent)

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Clean sheets 

we are where we are because we can’t keep a clean sheet 

those who are safe are there because they can keep clean sheets.  You only need one shut out and a fluke goal to gain three points. 

I think that if we don’t keep a clean sheet in our last four games then we will be relegated - deservedly 

(and you may have noticed that iverson has failed to manage this feat despite being a better shot stopper than the previous incumbent)

Compared to the other sides at the bottom of the table Leeds and ourselves are considerably better at scoring goals.  For a manager like Smith or Allardyce coming in late that makes the job simpler, in a way - if you can stabilize the back line, there’s enough guys in these squads who can find the net where you can get some results.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Compared to the other sides at the bottom of the table Leeds and ourselves are considerably better at scoring goals.  For a manager like Smith or Allardyce coming in late that makes the job simpler, in a way - if you can stabilize the back line, there’s enough guys in these squads who can find the net where you can get some results.

Easy to say that, but normally it's a ploy at the expense of scoring goals. Also need to be disciplined, not make mistakes and chase everything down with 110% effort. Traits we've not been well accustomed too. We've seen Vards can still do it, so just play to his strengths. Get him the service and he'll find the positions and get the goals we need. What I think we've really missed is a disruptor in midfield, kante and Ndidi types (well when he was good). They were so influential in breaking opposition attacks and getting us on the front foot, and the counters Vardy thrives from.   Here's to hoping big Dean can come up with something, we're about to find out very soon 

16 hours ago, Mark_w said:

Would be shocked if both Everton & Leeds fail to pick up any points from their next three. Everton could easily get something against at least Wolves, and Leeds against West Ham. It's very wishful thinking to think we could lose our next three (or draw one) and go into the final day outside the bottom three.

Completely agree. Highly likely Forest will get another 6 points, same for Everton and I think Leeds will get 3 or 4. Looks like 36 points might do it but anything less will be likely to go down in my opinion.

Guest bennytwohats
3 minutes ago, reynard said:

Completely agree. Highly likely Forest will get another 6 points, same for Everton and I think Leeds will get 3 or 4. Looks like 36 points might do it but anything less will be likely to go down in my opinion.

Highly likely based on what? These are teams that are averaging less than 1 ppg so far this season. To go from that to 1.5 ppg over the last 4 games is a significant upturn. I’m not saying they won’t do it, but I think you’d be hard pushed to objectively stand behind ‘highly likely’, let alone two teams doing it.

imo 34 points should be enough, if someone goes down on more than that I’d be very surprised.

14 minutes ago, reynard said:

Forest have won 1 in 13 and you think they are going to win 2 out of 4 all of a sudden.

Similer Everton have won 1 in 11

Just now, coolhandfox said:

Forest have won 1 in 13 and you think they are going to win 2 out of 4 all of a sudden.

Yeah but this is the business end of the season - teams like us Leeds, Forest and Everton all have something riding on the last few games, a lot of other teams don't really have anything to play for so form will go out of the window.

I think Forest could easily get at least 4 points looking at their games, Everton could get 2 wins, most likely from their last 2 games. 

7 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Don't know how mant studies there have been, or if there's any merit to this one at all, but it definitely feels like relegation threatened teams perform better during the run in to me.

https://harvardsportsanalysis.org/2018/04/do-relegation-threatened-teams-perform-better-or-worse-at-the-end-of-a-premier-league-season/

23 hours ago, melvinmmelvin said:

I agree, but I look at it slightly differently. After our abysmal start to the season and at least one similarly bad patch since, if we don't go down it'll be a b****y miracle...

I remember after seven games or so seeing lots of stats about how likely we were to go down.

Not that it got through to the board (or most of our fans). Some on here were even taking about having a crack at the Europa League places. 

I think yesterday probably meant West Ham will be a little easier for Leeds, but Newcastle more difficult. And probably similar for us.

Such a huge day today. Feel like we need to have gained on those below us this weekend, and not sure a single point would be enough of a gain.

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

We’re a Soyuncu and Iversen away from being a mid table (at worst) side. This is why I’m struggling with the ‘we deserve to go down’ comments

We deserve to go down because we should’ve got rid of Rodgers back when Covid was still around, or at any point last or this season. So I can get on board with that

But to make out our squad isn’t good enough for the PL should we finish bottom 3 is rubbish. We are where we are because of one persons stubborness alone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1