Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Relegation

1 hour ago, JimmyC74 said:

Spot on. Lots of excuses will be made, but where has the professional pride of the players been this season.

The majority have phoned it in, checked out - call it what you like - ages ago.

Not fit to wear the shirt. Fcuk em!

...I feel the players had been waiting all season for the axe to fall on Rodgers!!!

Game after game it went on and no action was taken. Probably they do not feel that the powers that be, cared enough, regarding what was happening at the club, you could say they had checked out a long time ago, probably at the early part of the season. 

All that is left is rancour and a disunited group of players, looking to see who their next paymaster will be.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Been thinking hard and cannot remember a team finishing in the top half five years in a row then heading to relegation. Possibly Blackburn in the 90s? Leeds had one season of struggle after consistent good years before going.

This is an incredible fall.

I might not get thanks for this, but an old example that springs to mind is Forest under Clough.

They won the title after promotion in 77-78, then consistently finished in the top half every year for 15 years, with the exception of 81-82 when they were 12th out of 22, before finishing bottom in 92-93 (first year of PL).

When they were struggling in 92-93, I can remember talk of them being "too good to go down", denied by some commentators (possibly including Clough himself?).

I also wonder if we had a sliding-doors moment at the end of last season. As I recall, we were about 14th with 2 matches to go, but jumped up to 8th by beating already relegated Norwich and Watford?

"5th, 5th & 14th" would have looked quite different to "5th, 5th & 8th" as a trajectory. I wonder if 14th place last season would've meant Rodgers was sacked earlier, giving us a better chance of survival this season?

Although I didn't expect us to get relegated, I think most of us knew that 8th place overstated our ability as a team last season - it was largely achieved by exceptional performances by individual players, not the team.

When you add in the soft core that led us to twice turn Top 4 finishes into 5th place, the rot was evident, even if not all of us expected a relegation struggle (I anticipated us finishing about 11th-14th, based on our goalscoring potential - and wrongly assuming semi-competent management).

• Like 3

You can search through years, and different managers but even when we've been going through bad times

the players were never as spineless as most of these, we as fans care about the club they clearly do not.

Gutless players that actually made me feel embarrassed during and after the Fulham away game. Ive followed City

since the mid 60s and seen some absolute sh#te but most of the current lot are a disgrace, all we ask for is for the players to give their all,

the fans are right 

NOT FIT TO WEAR THE SHIRT

4 minutes ago, willie-bell-in-rothley said:

You can search through years, and different managers but even when we've been going through bad times

the players were never as spineless as most of these, we as fans care about the club they clearly do not.

Gutless players that actually made me feel embarrassed during and after the Fulham away game. Ive followed City

since the mid 60s and seen some absolute sh#te but most of the current lot are a disgrace, all we ask for is for the players to give their all,

the fans are right 

NOT FIT TO WEAR THE SHIRT

Never disliked a collective of players as much as this bunch in 50 yrs of seeing some fairly dreadful teams. Almost want to go down to be rid of them, if we stay up this bunch of jelly backs wouldn't inspire much confidence for next year

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I feel the players had been waiting all season for the axe to fall on Rodgers!!!

Game after game it went on and no action was taken. Probably they do not feel that the powers that be, cared enough, regarding what was happening at the club, you could say they had checked out a long time ago, probably at the early part of the season. 

All that is left is rancour and a disunited group of players, looking to see who their next paymaster will be.

Players look for excuses for poor results (beyond themselves).

They can’t blame their day to day training facilities and they are well paid so difficult to grumble about money. And whilst some of the bigger names might be disappointed that the Club hasn’t continued to invest in better players to push the Club onwards and upwards, they are still professional and should have pride in their performance. I have seen little of that.

Some of the players (e.g Praet, Cags, Vestegaard)  turned against BR after he publicly made it clear he wasn’t having them - the Board carries a lot of the blame here. You back the manager and bring in new players / bin those the manager doesn’t want or you bin the manager.

Some were planning on moves away (Fofana, Youri) but none of them have played to their potential this season.

There is a rotten core to this group and I look forward to a complete clear out this summer and a team that puts in a 100% shift.

Although we all think we are going to survive we won’t . Having to play twice on the trot on a Monday doesn’t seem fair and puts us at a genuine disadvantage. I don’t think it helps the majority of the fans near me on every bodies back as soon as things go wrong . Look at Forest scraped to safety but the fans have only ever backed the team regardless of what they think .

the championship is a good division and if we sort a decent manager , a spring board to a winning season .

This just shows how inept the club are after reading this again this morning.. They thought they were so much cleverer than us all lol 

Leicester's bosses have to hope that the supporters understand and trust them that the clever management and strategy that has got Leicester to where they are will stand them in good stead for the future too.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11712/12669775/leicester-transfers-owners-investing-in-infrastructure-to-close-the-gap-on-the-big-six-in-the-long-term

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Phil Bowman said:

Lord only knows statistics isn't my strong point, but I make it 108?

We have 6 possible combinations of results, as do Leeds, so 6x6 = 36, and Everton have three possible outcomes, so 36x3 = 108.

But I am basically innumerate, so...

I used the argument that for every possible Everton result next week (W,D,L), Leeds have 3 possible results today, so that means 9 combinations. Then City have 3 possible results tomorrow, giving 27 possibles, then applying the same logic to the other games Leeds and City play, the number increases by a factor of 3 each time. Perhaps I'm wrong, however, it's clear that Leeds is currently the only club that has its fate entirely under its own control, assuming that no major changes in GD occur. That being the case, it could be argued that they should be favourites to survive, and not Everton!    

Edited by String fellow

Leeds beat West Ham and Tottenham 

everton beat bournemouth

we go down regardless

leeds beat West Ham and tottenham

everton lose to Bournemouth 

we go down regardless

leeds beat one of West Ham or tottenham and draw or lose the other 

everton beat Bournemouth 

we need to win both games to stay up.

Leeds beat one of West Ham or Tottenham and draw the other 

Everton lose or draw to Bournemouth 

We need to win both games to stay up

leeds draw both

everton beat Bournemouth 

we need to win both games to stay up

leeds draw both 

Everton draw 

we need to win one and draw one of our games to stay up

leeds draw both

Everton lose

we need a win to stay up and the loss must be by no more than c. 7 goals

leeds draw one and lose the other 

Everton win 

we need to win both games 

Leeds draw one and lose the other 

Everton draw

we need to win one and draw one

Leeds draw one and lose the other 

Everton lose

we need to win one game

leeds lose both

evertin win

we need to win both

leeds lose both

everton draw

we need a win and a draw

Leeds lose both

everton lose

a win will keep us up

Basically As long as Leeds draw or lose one of their games, we are in it and have two huge cup finals…….. 

We will definitely lose on Monday imo so very limited chance of survival 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Mate, I get that, and I'm praying for it to happen, but it won't.

If you had a dog and it was in constant pain, you'd have it put down.

Just put me out of my misery.

It really is "the hope that kills you" to quote John Cleese!  Also it doesn't help that this is exacerbated by the fact that our crucial games have not been taking place until Monday after everybody else has played re prolongoing the agony. Even Lineker half joked yesterday that it's all a conspiracy theory to see us relegated! 

i honestly dont know what some of fans are expecting, just accept the fact we are down

while hope is a good thing in life, this is one of the times when youve got to be realistic 

players and the management have totally failed on a massive level this season, 

we are down

When was the last time one of our players put in a naughty challenged where you thought ‘lucky just to get a yellow’.  We’ve been near the bottom all season and yet when have we looked like we cared enough to do that 

it might be that our years near the top means that we just don’t have it in our locker 

I am still angry Wolves just sat back yesterday and kept letting Everton play in the last 20 mins. Worst, in that last play, I still remember looking at the Wolves player not closing down on the cross. Then they scored. 

Just now, Chelmofox said:

Thats a good thing?????????

Yeah, look, I know we’re down, but at least I’ve got a reason to look at the scores with interest. And you never know there might even be at least one minute of ‘as it stands’ we’re safe.

So all we had to do at the beginning of the weekend was win both games, if Everton or Leeds won, then we could have won both games and still would have been relying on their results on the final day. 

It' still in our hands - we can still stay up. Positivity.

(Now all I need to do it convince the players)

Well after Leeds' half expected loss just now to West Ham then it looks like it's been narrowed down to being them and us to fill the two remaining relegation slots now. With favourites to stay up Everton taking on "on the beach" Bournemouth on the final day then unless we pull off a miracle at Newcastle tomorrow and actually win to put us in with a real genuine opportunity of last day survival then I can't see anything halting our sleepwalk into the Championship now! WIth Leeds and Southampton you always expected this season they'd both struggle again - but us??!