Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Relegation

31 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

The thing is, people having been voicing concerns about Rodgers' management for a good while now and were met with similarly smug dismissals.

This is it for me, I've been told loads of different excuses, injuries, too many games, small squad, bad luck, bad ref calls, not enough time in training, need set piece coach, players fault, we're too good to go down etc.

Few of us have been Rodgers out for quite a while and been blasted as disloyal, selfish, stupid, etc. Now a lot of those who called us that are now saying he should go, but there's a select few still saying don't worry we'll be fine.

After a couple more games, if we lose both, won't we need something silly like top 5 form in order to stay up? 13 wins from 30 games? 43.3% win rate. New manager or not, that won't be easy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

This is it for me, I've been told loads of different excuses, injuries, too many games, small squad, bad luck, bad ref calls, not enough time in training, need set piece coach, players fault, we're too good to go down etc.

Few of us have been Rodgers out for quite a while and been blasted as disloyal, selfish, stupid, etc. Now a lot of those who called us that are now saying he should go, but there's a select few still saying don't worry we'll be fine.

After a couple more games, if we lose both, won't we need something silly like top 5 form in order to stay up? 13 wins from 30 games? 43.3% win rate. New manager or not, that won't be easy.

But we can't think about whether our performances and results are good enough until after 36 games apparently.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Wait, so you mean, you're very confident we won't get relegated? What's your rationale for that then? 

We're 6 games in.

In 08/09 Spurs were on two points after 8 games. They finished 8th.

I'm not saying the manager doesn't need to go - he does - but this talk of relegation is just pure blind panic. A change of manager, and this team flies up the table.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

We're 6 games in.

I'm not saying the manager doesn't need to go - he does - but this talk of relegation is just pure blind panic. A change of manager, and this team flies up the table.

To be fair that’s got as much basis as the ‘we’re too good to go down’ people. It’s head in the sand stuff. There’s literally zero sign of anything turning around. Each game he is not sacked is a game less for someone new and as put by someone else, pushes up the win% needed for whoever is next. It seems the board also have the view things will suddenly just be ok or think we will just repeat the great escape of 2015. It’s very naiive.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
1 hour ago, indierich06 said:

We're 6 games in.

Just can’t understand this belief.

I hope I’m wrong and that we do ‘fly up the table’, but I just can’t see it.

We are a poor squad and especially in defence. 
Any new manager will have to work with exactly the same set of players, with exactly the same financial mess and exactly the same opponents in the Premiership.

Bodgers must go, but I’m not expecting this miraculous turnaround that other people believe will happen (almost instantly apparently)

2 hours ago, ealingfox said:

The thing is, people having been voicing concerns about Rodgers' management for a good while now and were met with similarly smug dismissals.

Hate to say it but you're right. Every single concern i've had about the bloke has come true and those that have had concerns since the first top 4 capitulation have taken some pelters. 

I wanted to be wrong but this path has been charted for a long time now. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Any new manager will have to work with exactly the same set of players, with exactly the same financial mess and exactly the same opponents in the Premiership.

Bodgers must go, but I’m not expecting this miraculous turnaround that other people believe will happen (almost instantly apparently)

You're right. Loads of rubbish players. Got really lucky to finish 5th twice and then 8th when we played terribly for most of the season :dry:

Watch the game yesterday and it's so clear to see that the difference was how they are coached and the lack of confidence on top of that. If you honestly don't think we've got a lot of good players then I don't know what to say. Defending well is rarely about the individuals but how they do it collectively. Having good individuals of course makes it easier and even though our defending has been shocking, most of these players have been excellent individuals for a sustained period of time.

I've never witnessed a better example of the manager holding the team back at Leicester than I have currently. He goes, we'll be fine. That simple. All they need is a bit of confidence and some basic structure/organisation and this team will finish midtable easily. Well coached, it's clearly a lot higher.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, indierich06 said:

We're 6 games in.

But very shortly we're going to be at the point where we need a ridiculous run of form under a new manager to stay up. We can't just appoint a new manager and expect to win 10 out of 15 games, it's not going to happen, even Chelsea, Arsenal and United struggle to put those sort of runs together.

• Like 1

Anyone living in the Market Bosworth area is at the centre of the footballing triangle of death! To the north west is Burton Albion, with one point and bottom of Division One. To the south is Coventry City, with one point and bottom of the Championship. And to the east is us, with one point and bottom of the Premier League. It seems as if football in the Midlands as a whole is in very poor shape at present.

Edited by String fellow
  • Haha 2

Guest Col city fan
2 hours ago, dmayne7 said:

You're right. Loads of rubbish players. Got really lucky to finish 5th twice and then 8th when we played terribly for most of the season :dry:

Watch the game yesterday and it's so clear to see that the difference was how they are coached and the lack of confidence on top of that. If you honestly don't think we've got a lot of good players then I don't know what to say. Defending well is rarely about the individuals but how they do it collectively. Having good individuals of course makes it easier and even though our defending has been shocking, most of these players have been excellent individuals for a sustained period of time.

I've never witnessed a better example of the manager holding the team back at Leicester than I have currently. He goes, we'll be fine. That simple. All they need is a bit of confidence and some basic structure/organisation and this team will finish midtable easily. Well coached, it's clearly a lot higher.

Wow. Such a bold statement!
We’ll see (if he gets sacked anyway) 

Just now, Col city fan said:

Wow. Such a bold statement!
We’ll see (if he gets sacked anyway) 

But it really is that simple Col. I can't think of a single time where I've thought if the manager gets sacked, we'll definitely be better off, it's normally in hope. These are good players that have been coached so poorly and had the confidence sapped out of them.

I didn't address your point about longer term issues and that's definitely true and something the next manager will have to contend with. But when it comes down to just getting better results, I think literally any manager will do better now. And not because Rodgers is that crap, but he's totally lost the plot, as he has done every job he's had and some change will fix that 100%. Doesn't mean the results are going to be perfect but imagine being given this squad with 32 games and told your only job is to keep them up? What an easy job.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

We'll have to agree to disagree unfortunately. It was almost this exact squad that finished 8th last season, minus Kasper and Fofana (who was injured for about 95% of the season anyway).

If a new manager can get Soyuncu back to anything approaching some kind of form, and Faes turns out to be a good signing, then our defence will likely be stronger than it was for most of last season. Goalkeeper is admittedly weaker, but I don't think that turns this squad into relegation certainties.

Is our squad worse than Fulham, Bournemouth, Forest, Southampton, Leeds, Villa? I personally don't think so, I think it's a case of management that we're in the position we're in, and if the right appointment is made I have no worries that this squad will perform a lot better than it has been up till now.

If we do get relegated, we lose the players out of contract this year and of our 2024 contracts (Ndiddi, Maddison, Nacho).  

i can’t really see Maddison playing in the Championship, Barnes is quite salable (who knows with Ndiddi).

i think we would be left with

Iverson / Stolarczyk

Justin, Faes, Vestegard, Castagne

Albrighton, KDH, Soumane 

Daka, Nacho, Vardy

subs

Hirst, Ward  Ricky P, Preat possibly one year deal for Evans

You can switch a few players around but about that.

Edited by Finn Claw II
  • Haha 1

Guest Col city fan
41 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

But it really is that simple Col. I can't think of a single time where I've thought if the manager gets sacked, we'll definitely be better off, it's normally in hope. These are good players that have been coached so poorly and had the confidence sapped out of them.

I didn't address your point about longer term issues and that's definitely true and something the next manager will have to contend with. But when it comes down to just getting better results, I think literally any manager will do better now. And not because Rodgers is that crap, but he's totally lost the plot, as he has done every job he's had and some change will fix that 100%. Doesn't mean the results are going to be perfect but imagine being given this squad with 32 games and told your only job is to keep them up? What an easy job.

I do hope you’re right and it is that simple. It’s horrid seeing us playing like this.

Schmeichel and Fofana though mate are huge losses to this team.

17 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I do hope you’re right and it is that simple. It’s horrid seeing us playing like this.

Schmeichel and Fofana though mate are huge losses to this team.

Of course they are, Kasper especially. Just look at what has happened to Soyuncu though. That's a guy who's proven his class but his form has taken a massive nosedive in no small part due to Rodgers man management, choosing the likes of Ndidi and your best mate at centre back ahead of him. A new manager could fix Soyuncu and you've got one of the best in the league back in your team.

Rodgers has good qualities but unfortunately they've all long been eroded and not only does the team lack direction and belief, the manager is making bizarre decision after bizarre decision and has been doing for months. New manager bounce is inevitable but looking past that it's not going to be hard to pick up 10+ wins with this team. We score goals whilst creating nothing so make the defence vaguely competent and there's no issue. Look at how will drilled Potter had Brighton. Aside from the keeper, and maybe one of the centre Half's, who would actually get in our team if all on form? Whereas currently it's almost the complete opposite.

2 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Of course they are, Kasper especially. Just look at what has happened to Soyuncu though. That's a guy who's proven his class but his form has taken a massive nosedive in no small part due to Rodgers man management, choosing the likes of Ndidi and your best mate at centre back ahead of him. A new manager could fix Soyuncu and you've got one of the best in the league back in your team.

Rodgers has good qualities but unfortunately they've all long been eroded and not only does the team lack direction and belief, the manager is making bizarre decision after bizarre decision and has been doing for months. New manager bounce is inevitable but looking past that it's not going to be hard to pick up 10+ wins with this team. We score goals whilst creating nothing so make the defence vaguely competent and there's no issue. Look at how will drilled Potter had Brighton. Aside from the keeper, and maybe one of the centre Half's, who would actually get in our team if all on form? Whereas currently it's almost the complete opposite.

I'm Rodgers out but this is a total myth IMO.

In 2019-20, we essentially went from having the best defence in the league to conceding 30 goals in 21 games. Doesn't seem like a lot. But when you consider we conceded 41 in the entire season that's bonkers and one of the reasons we lost out on top 4 given our scoring record.

In 2020-21 we kept more clean sheets with him out of the team than we did with him in the team. 

And last season, I don't think I need to say anything about.

I'd say he's had 3/4 of a good season in his time here. The rest has been poor or average at best.

4 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

To be fair that’s got as much basis as the ‘we’re too good to go down’ people. It’s head in the sand stuff. There’s literally zero sign of anything turning around. Each game he is not sacked is a game less for someone new and as put by someone else, pushes up the win% needed for whoever is next. It seems the board also have the view things will suddenly just be ok or think we will just repeat the great escape of 2015. It’s very naiive.

I do wonder if the board are still being hesitant in sacking Rodgers....A) because of the cost still involved in paying him off and/or B) They have nobody else in mind lined up as yet. Time will tell but if we lose the next two very lose-able games then he could definitely be on his way after that..... 

Edited by Guy

39 minutes ago, shiv said:

I'm Rodgers out but this is a total myth IMO.

In 2019-20, we essentially went from having the best defence in the league to conceding 30 goals in 21 games. Doesn't seem like a lot. But when you consider we conceded 41 in the entire season that's bonkers and one of the reasons we lost out on top 4 given our scoring record.

In 2020-21 we kept more clean sheets with him out of the team than we did with him in the team. 

And last season, I don't think I need to say anything about.

I'd say he's had 3/4 of a good season in his time here. The rest has been poor or average at best.

Well it isn't a myth, quite the opposite. If you're being factual about it this is a guy was in the team of the year in the German top flight and the English top flight. I think that debunks the 'myth'.

5 hours ago, indierich06 said:

We're 6 games in.

They had a better squad than us, and in comparison, the league back then wasn’t as competitive as it is now (in my opinion). 
If he gets another two games then it’s going to be a mountain to climb 

3 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

The longer he stays, the more likely he will go down as one of the worst managers we've ever had.  He's approaching Taylor levels of incompetence for me considering the talent he has at his disposal.  An FA Cup win doesn't excuse that imo.

The FA Cup will be a matter of record, his blatant incompetence less so.

7 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

The longer he stays, the more likely he will go down as one of the worst managers we've ever had.  He's approaching Taylor levels of incompetence for me considering the talent he has at his disposal.  An FA Cup win doesn't excuse that imo.

I think he gets too much credit for the FA cup to be fair. Where I’ll give him credit is the strong sides throughout so taking it seriously. It was no masterclass though. We got to the final due to some individual magic from Iheanacho, the guy Rodgers can’t drop quickly enough at any opportunity. In the final he did his normal go defensive and hope for the best tactic. I said to my wife when Big Wes came on, if we don’t hold on in normal time we are stuffed as all our attacking threat has been taken off. I understand why he’d do it on that occasion but a tight VAR call going the other way we were not going to win that had it gone to extra time.

Edited by LCFCJohn
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I think he gets too much credit for the FA cup to be fair. Where I’ll give him credit is the strong sides throughout so taking it seriously. It was no masterclass though. We got to the final due to some individual magic from Iheanacho, the guy Rodgers can’t drop quickly enough at any opportunity. In the final he did his normal go defensive and hope for the best tactic. I said to my wife when Big Wes came

on, if we don’t hold on in normal time we are stuff as all our attacking threat has been taken off. I understand why he’d do it on that occasion but a tight VAR call going the other way we were not going to win that had it gone to extra time.

I agree.  We got lucky with the win.  History won't remember that but I'm sure everyone can live with it knowing that it was ultimately luck that saw us through rather than a Rodgers masterclass.

People on here laugh at the weekend at my suggestion but we are on a trajectory which will see us at Taylor levels of incompetence if this continues.