Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Relegation

5 minutes ago, Walkerfox said:

It’s looking very likely we’re going down. Does anyone have an idea of how this would affect us financially? How much trouble would we actually be in? 

it’s obviously going to be very bad for us but I’m not really sure just how bad it would be. 

financially it could get very ugly very fast. we’ve taken loans out as an advance of our premier league tv money for the next few years. if we go down all parachute payments go towards paying those loans off. with the fire sales of all the top earners (i’m assuming we probably don’t have relegation clauses in the contracts of some of these…?), it won’t be a pretty sight 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

We have enough quality in the squad to avoid relegation but that depends on who we bring in to manage us.

we are playing an expansive game when we can’t afford too.

we need our full backs to stop crosses coming in and defend the back post, we need our wingers to stretch the pitch but to also be defensively astute as we constantly get outnumbered out wide.

we have goals in the squad but we do not have the urgency or bravery on the ball to make things happen.

we need to scrap this pass for passing sake mentality and get back to being a counter attacking side, we haven’t earned the right for a long while now to be allowed to play by the the opposition.

just give us a manager who will create the right mentality around the club again.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thegaffa said:

We have enough quality in the squad to avoid relegation but that depends on who we bring in to manage us.

we need our full backs to stop crosses coming in and defend the back post, we need our wingers to stretch the pitch but to also be defensively astute as we constantly get outnumbered out wide.

we have goals in the squad but we do not have the urgency or bravery on the ball to make things happen.

we need to scrap this pass for passing sake mentality and get back to being a counter attacking side, we haven’t earned the right for a long while now to be allowed to play by the the opposition.

just give us a manager who will create the right mentality around the club again.

The problem with being a counterattacking side is that you need to be able to defend. Just as it took time to transition to (and then overindulge in) passing football, it would take time to return to solely solid,  counterattacking football.

You can't just flick a switch.

• Like 1

No team gets relegated in the early autumn.

If Rodgers is removed now, I genuinely foresee an immediate upturn in form and fortunes.

The Craig Shakespeare effect, if you will.

Ranieri had lost the plot. Rodgers too, and a long time ago, but worse than that he has become a malignant, odious presence. Is there a single Leicester fan who actually likes him as a person? If not, it stands to reason that he isn’t much loved in the dressing room either.

The relief when he, Toure and the rest of his motley crew are gone will lift and liberate everyone at the club, enabling supporters and players to rally together again as a unified force. Especially under a decent new manager.

If the current management team remains in situ in the vain hope that they can turn it around, we are doomed to the drop. It happened with Peter Taylor, who was dismissed too late with the damage already done. We can’t allow it to happen again with Rodgers

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

financially it could get very ugly very fast. we’ve taken loans out as an advance of our premier league tv money for the next few years. if we go down all parachute payments go towards paying those loans off. with the fire sales of all the top earners (i’m assuming we probably don’t have relegation clauses in the contracts of some of these…?), it won’t be a pretty sight 

I've raised concerns several times on the macquirie thread as long as 3 or 4 years ago when the Mahrez deal first came to light. And been shushed down on the thread that the 'family know what they are doing'

I instinctively don't like spending money without a back up. The likes of Barnes and Madders would be lost for as little as 10m....Kels and Daka and Castagne for free (as against their market value of perhaps 60m combined) 

The club would need personal investment of nigh on 150m quid to survive a relegation otherwise this is a Portsmouth/Derby scenario

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

The problem with being a counterattacking side is that you need to be able to defend. Just as it took time to transition to (and then overindulge in) passing football, it would take time to return to solely solid,  counterattacking football.

You can't just flick a switch.

It isn’t that difficult for a team to learn how to play counter attacking football.

as professionals they will be working on transitional play from defence to attack and vice versa on a daily basis.

it is an adjustment of mentality that is the key in implementing this, but yes I agree you need to be solid and structured defensively.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, thegaffa said:

I used to believe that, but after seeing our goalkeeper today I really do think we’re screwed

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hammo said:

If Rodgers is removed now, I genuinely foresee an immediate upturn in form and fortunes.

Ranieri had lost the plot. Rodgers too, and a long time ago, but worse than that he has become a malignant, odious presence. Is there a single Leicester fan who actually likes him as a person? If not, it stands to reason that he isn’t much loved in the dressing room either.

The relief when he, Toure and the rest of his motley crew are gone will lift and liberate everyone at the club, enabling supporters and players to rally together again as a unified force. Especially under a decent new manager.

If the current management team remains in situ in the vain hope that they can turn it around, we are doomed to the drop. It happened with Peter Taylor, who was dismissed too late with the damage already done. We can’t allow it to happen again with Rodgers

In some respects his reign is like a stretched-out version of the Taylor reign, with some exaggeration at the extremes.

A media darling manager inherited a mid-table side with players who had achieved great things, and initially enjoyed success and acclaim. But then the recruitment went wrong, we misspent our funds, bottled it at the end of a campaign and wound up, come September, in freefall at the bottom of the table. 

I'd never for a minute wish to diminish Rodgers' achievements so much as to say that 5th, 5th and an FA Cup are comparable to Taylor's being top for a week, struggling to 13th, then being fired after little more than a year in charge. But at the other extreme, we've actually started this season in worse form than 2001/02. As is often the case when things go awry for any mid-table EPL club, you see the parallels with the downfall of managers like Taylor - but on this occasion those parallels are more striking.

Now, like then, you get the sense that each passing day is one less day for someone else to establish their ideas. Each game, if it were to be won, runs the risk of serving the same purpose as our win over Derby back in 2001, and simply delaying a change which needed to happen as a matter of urgency. And as time advances, the chances increase of us failing to attract top managerial talent with our scant resources and lofty risk of relegation.

So who would you say is the 2020s' answer to Dave Bassett?

• Like 1

1 point in 7 games extrapolated to 38 games at curent form = 5.4 points for the season. I hope we see an improvement in form very soon. Yes it’s very early days but another couple of poor results and it’s panic time. Something needs to change very soon. 

2 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Needs to go now

After today we need 39 points from 31 games to reach the magic 40

39 points from 31 games = 1.26 points per game

Over 38 games that gets you 48 points which is about 12th most seasons

We are still thankfully at a point where a new manager coming in and getting us playing at just a mid table level until the end of the season would keep us safe

This is the reality and why waiting for so much of the season usually dooms a club.

I think once we past the point of mid table form not been enough we are done.

49 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Taylor was sacked with 5pts from 8 games on 1st October. Even if we beat forest we are below that points tally. It’s already too late 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonnyBoy said:

I actually think it doesn’t matter how much form the team picks up. I genuinely think Danny Ward could single handedly take us down this season 

Today you looked at our team and thought it looked decent on paper - until you saw Ward was still in goal. Amazing that Rodgers can't see that Ward is way off the level. 

I'm resigned to relegation purely because the owners won't do anything to stop it.  I genuinely don't know what the goals are at Leicester anymore regarding Top.   It's like he'd rather save 20 million on sacking him, no matter what the cost on the pitch. 

He's rapidly falling out of favour with me, regardless of what's happened previously.