Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Relegation

8 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I've thought for a long time a sacking is all we need but to be honest I fear there's a lot of damage done to this squad. We've been spoilt by previous new manager bounces. We have a nice run coming up but it's going to take a while to repair this mentality issue I think.

What's also worrying is the luxury of the usual absolute dross down the bottom doesn't appear to be there. Fulham are already half way to Norwich/Watford's points tally from last season. Bournemouth aren't far behind.

The fact we've given everyone 7 games on us too. This is going to be a battle.

Naaah, get rid of the poison dwarf and this team will play to its potential. 

52 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Naaah, get rid of the poison dwarf and this team will play to its potential. 

I want to believe that but I'm getting scared. This is even more abject than latter day Ranieri. We also have a League One level goalkeeper. Iversen is probably our most important player this season now. A lot of it hinges on him.

4 hours ago, Koke said:

The season can still be rescued if Rodgers is fired now. If not, we'll continue shipping goals in and losing games. And go down.

Figure we need, say, 37 from 31 to have a decent chance.  Squad talented enough but still comically unbalanced, no matter who the manager is.  And completely broken mentally by Rodgers' malfeasance on and off the pitch.  It's dicey even if we make the move now.

The problem is, no evidence the board is even considering firing the cretin currently running the team.  Whether they're scared of his PR machine, put off by the cost, or genuinely believe he's not the worst manager in the prem at the moment, they're standing pat.

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I've thought for a long time a sacking is all we need but to be honest I fear there's a lot of damage done to this squad. We've been spoilt by previous new manager bounces. We have a nice run coming up but it's going to take a while to repair this mentality issue I think.

What's also worrying is the luxury of the usual absolute dross down the bottom doesn't appear to be there. Fulham are already half way to Norwich/Watford's points tally from last season. Bournemouth aren't far behind.

I agree, he should have been well gone by now, in the summer for me.

Sadly, if he doesn't gets the boot after this I think Top is equally as culpable now if relegation occurs because he's allowing the poison to fully set in and destroy the club. I just feel if Vichai had still been here, Rodgers would be long gone. However, in fairness, who knows what Top has on his plate right now and what support he's getting, it's not all down to him. There should always be a sequential list of potential successors ... unless none of them are available or want to come!

Right now though, the carbuncle just needs lancing, nobody could do a worse job but there would be a huge sense of relief all round I think. 

Whether down to the board leaving it too late at which we are at that tipping point going into this international break (and I have no faith they are going to do what needs doing before Forest) or because too much damage has been done with the squad, I also feel it is now inevitable. We would need to have a new manager in by Forest and to hit the ground running. As per some posts above, I am turning my attention to what the squad will be like after relegation.

Iverson - if he isn’t taking the hump and wants to leave (wouldn’t blame him)

RB - Justin? I would say Castagne but he would rightly want to go

CB - Faes (assuming he would stay wages dependant 

CB - New? Evans will be too old/high wages and can’t see Soyuncu signing on and staying unless a new manager comes and he wants tp

LB - Thomas - probably would be good for him on a personal note

CM - KDH - can’t see him jumping ship

CM - Soumare? New? Tielemans and Maddison will go. Braybrooke break through?

Wingers - new, Barnes will go. Alves breakthrough? Popov? Could do with getting these kids on loan second half of the season to get match experience/ready

CAM (if 4231) - new? Maddison will go

CF - Daka? Would he stay? Would surely score for fun. Possibly his wages will be too high. 

Others

Vardy - signed a new deal but wages unsustainable

Ndidi - not good enough for championship any more. Will probably be sold off

Nacho - will get a taker in the Prem and score/assist for fun

Not looking good. Should have snapped up such as Bowler from Blackpool for very little to build in preparation…

It’s all  going to be on the next manager because over the last few weeks I’ve seen very little in this team that shows me they would be up for the fight. 

As soon as we’re under any pressure we crumble. The great escape season we were never that far away in games, we’re so out of our depth at the moment. 

Rodgers poor man management has got to affect other players. I sided with him for a while but the toxicity is just running wild throughout the entire squad. 

• Like 1

As weird as it sounds, I give us a better chance of staying up after watching yesterday's performance. Rodgers clearly has to go but I can't disagree with anything he said post match- we were much the better team for 70 mins, pressed really well at the top end of the pitch and looked a real threat going forward. Instead of accepting the 3-2 loss, they chased the game and we got done by some ridiculous finishes.

I just don't think we have the players to make ourselves better defensively so we're going to have to score our way out of this mess, while getting rid of the stupid mistakes and learning how to defend set pieces. This is why I don't see a manager like Dyche working- I think we need someone who will use the first 70 mins yesterday as the blueprint and that means getting in a more attacking and front foot manager than Dyche

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Manini said:

At the point now where I’d be more surprised if we didn’t go down. 

Nah, don't think so. Teams get relegated when they can't score and concede. We have good attacking football, we just can't keep the ball out of the net and I think with a new keeper, new manager and a different shape and energy we'll be fine

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

Whether down to the board leaving it too late at which we are at that tipping point going into this international break (and I have no faith they are going to do what needs doing before Forest) or because too much damage has been done with the squad, I also feel it is now inevitable. We would need to have a new manager in by Forest and to hit the ground running. As per some posts above, I am turning my attention to what the squad will be like after relegation.

Iverson - if he isn’t taking the hump and wants to leave (wouldn’t blame him)

RB - Justin? I would say Castagne but he would rightly want to go

CB - Faes (assuming he would stay wages dependant 

CB - New? Evans will be too old/high wages and can’t see Soyuncu signing on and staying unless a new manager comes and he wants tp

LB - Thomas - probably would be good for him on a personal note

CM - KDH - can’t see him jumping ship

CM - Soumare? New? Tielemans and Maddison will go. Braybrooke break through?

Wingers - new, Barnes will go. Alves breakthrough? Popov? Could do with getting these kids on loan second half of the season to get match experience/ready

CAM (if 4231) - new? Maddison will go

CF - Daka? Would he stay? Would surely score for fun. Possibly his wages will be too high. 

Others

Vardy - signed a new deal but wages unsustainable

Ndidi - not good enough for championship any more. Will probably be sold off

Nacho - will get a taker in the Prem and score/assist for fun

Not looking good. Should have snapped up such as Bowler from Blackpool for very little to build in preparation…

Look at it another way. If (and I don’t want to) we’re relegated, we would have some money from the sale of players and we’ll be attractive to players that we would need. Lower level, but it could force us to look at younger talented players from big clubs and give the first team experience. 

it would force us to go back the old ways of picking out gems, but we’ve done it before. My concern would be financially - we could go down a dark road, but hope we can manage it better than Leeds, Derby etc in recent times.

Of Top wants out…then we’re well and truely in the doo doo. 

Edited by fox_favourite

We are not too good to go down. 

The longer we continue with B*llsh*t Brendan in charge the bigger the points gap will become. 

An injury to Evans or Faes puts us in serious trouble and i don't think their would be many managers out there confident of keeping us up with the defenders that we have at our disposal. 

I genuinely do think we will get relegated based on the fact our defense is extremely poor.

Discount all of the details people have put in this thread and imo some of its bad and some of it's great and some of its comical!

But I have to say (with a heavy heart) that since Top's dad died "the boss", Top has been at the helm of the big contracts for mediocre players, big money for managers etc and has ran this club making the big decisions and more importantly overseeing them.

I can't fault Top's continuation of his dad's legacy I.e. the training ground and the stadium expansion.

Aside from this though and imo, Top has ran this club into the ground and not a single person on FT that I can see has any info to say otherwise.

15 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

whilst i feel the same way the one hope we have is the world cup. it’s going to act as a complete reset, a real chance to rescue the campaign. if we have the right person in charge during this break we can repair a lot of the damage. 

get within 5 points by the world cup and i think we can do it. It’s probably easier to stay in the league from here than it would be to get promoted next year 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dames said:

I can say with almost 100% certainty that no club will pay a fee for Ricardo. 

His knees are weaker than a fully dunked digestive biscuit, and he recently signed a long term contract with us.

can’t see another club taking on the risk

If we were to lose against Forest, we’d be on 1 point from 24.

Based on previous history, the only times this has happened during the Premier League Era. 

20/21 - Sheffield United - Relegated - Didn’t get another point until game 14. Chris Wilder left after game 29.

13/14 - Sunderland - Survived - Finally got a win in game 9. Di Canio left after game 4.

99/00 - Sheffield Wednesday - Relegated - Finally got a win in game 10. Danny Wilson left after game 29. 

98/99 - Southampton - Survived - Picked up another point in game 9. Kept Dave Jones all season.

95/96 - Manchester City - Relegated - Picked up another point in game 10. Kept Alan Ball all season.

So Dave Jones is the only Manager to have been in our position, not been sacked and kept a team in the league. That wasn’t even in this millennium! 

Sheffield United left it too late and Wilder should have gone much earlier. They kept him after the success of the previous season. 

Edited by Sly

2 minutes ago, Sly said:

If we were to lose against Forest, we’d be on 1 point from 24 games.

Based on previous history, the only times this has happened during the Premier League Era. 

20/21 - Sheffield United - Relegated - Didn’t get another point until game 14. Chris Wilder left after game 29.

13/14 - Sunderland - Survived - Finally got a win in game 9. Di Canio left after game 4.

99/00 - Sheffield Wednesday - Relegated - Finally got a win in game 10. Danny Wilson left after game 29. 

98/99 - Southampton - Survived - Picked up another point in game 9. Kept Dave Jones all season.

95/96 - Manchester City - Relegated - Picked up another point in game 10. Kept Alan Ball all season.

So Dave Jones is the only Manager to have been in our position, not been sacked and kept a team in the league. That wasn’t even in this millennium! 

Sheffield United left it too late and Wilder should have gone much earlier. They kept him after the success of the previous season. 

How many points did Dierby of their 11 points did they accrue at this stage? That would be interesting to know..

Edited by Happy Fox
Being too generous for the sheepshaggers! 😂