Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Relegation

1 minute ago, Happy Fox said:

How many points did Dierby of their 12 points did they accrue at this stage? That would be interesting to know..

2007 / 2008 - Derby finished on 11 points. 

At game 8 they have 5 points. 

Game 1 - Draw - 1 point

Game 6 - Win - 4 points

Game 8 - Draw - 5 points

Game 10 - Draw - 6 points

Game 18 - Draw - 7 points

Game 24 - Draw - 8 points

Game 25 - Draw - 9 points

Game 28 - Draw - 10 points

Game 32 - Draw - 11 points

They scored 20 goals all season. 

Conceded 89. 

We are on track to concede more than that! 

• Like 2

If we go down, I’m not sure we may ever recover to the level we have been at or at least not for decades. It may sound dramatic but 

1 - we will actually be much less well equipped to successfully bounce straight back than yo yo sides like Norwich or even Forest who have squads built for the championship. We would only retain a small number of players that we want or are good enough with some still cluttering the wage will so will take some very smart recruitment to not continue to struggle (by struggle I do not mean double drop but not necessarily bounce straight back).

2 - The gap is very big between the Championship and Premier League so by dropping, even if we come back we will have lost all those years of building the club/squad. To come back up and expect to go back to top half finishes whilst other clubs have continued to have premier league money is a challenge. We may end up as a yo yo club again which is probably more enjoyable than being like a Crystal Palace/Southampton type. 

Not trying to be negative, just thinking realistically what position we would be in. 

• Like 4

Looking at the season ahead October seems crucial to us - we have six fixtures and last year we'd expect to take ten points or more from them.  If we can get that many this year we'll be in with a good chance of avoiding the drop but if we only pick up a few then it would be a steep climb ahead to reach safety.

So we need to change our fortunes now, not wait until the international break to see if things have improved.

LCFC is really playing out Jon Snow  from Game of Thrones, from being step child of a Royal family (Being part of Premier League), to King of the North (Champions), and now well on the way to join the wildlings outside the Wall (relegation to EFL).

They need to start planning on how they will rejoin EPL for 2025/26 season.

I said, when we botched 4th place twice, that this would see our slow demise back to where we were. Most scoffed. I felt the 2nd time that Rodgers had to go.  I think most thought I was being overly dramatic and certainly pessimistic. It doesn’t look like that now. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ARM1968 said:

I said, when we botched 4th place twice, that this would see our slow demise back to where we were. Most scoffed. I felt the 2nd time that Rodgers had to go.  I think most thought I was being overly dramatic and certainly pessimistic. It doesn’t look like that now. 

People scoffed when I said we were run like a championship club in parts and that we have had our time in the sun too...

• Like 1

The trap door is open and we are stumbling aimlessly towards it. This club needs a leader but we have absolutely none. Nobody has their finger on the pulse. Top doesn’t have any balls to put into his empty wallet. Rudkin has more mistakes than successes, Whelan doesn’t normally get involved in the football side. Rodgers is a spineless **** and we have a bunch of players that have lost their heads but apart from that, it’s all good.

6 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

If we go down, I’m not sure we may ever recover to the level we have been at or at least not for decades. It may sound dramatic but 

1 - we will actually be much less well equipped to successfully bounce straight back than yo yo sides like Norwich or even Forest who have squads built for the championship. We would only retain a small number of players that we want or are good enough with some still cluttering the wage will so will take some very smart recruitment to not continue to struggle (by struggle I do not mean double drop but not necessarily bounce straight back).

2 - The gap is very big between the Championship and Premier League so by dropping, even if we come back we will have lost all those years of building the club/squad. To come back up and expect to go back to top half finishes whilst other clubs have continued to have premier league money is a challenge. We may end up as a yo yo club again which is probably more enjoyable than being like a Crystal Palace/Southampton type. 

Not trying to be negative, just thinking realistically what position we would be in. 

We can't be sure of anything with this ridiculous club of ours but we also cannot underestimate just how difficult and rare it is what we have done to a) win the league and have a squad capable with the funds and resources a club like ours have and b) to rebuild after it became clear we didn't have the stability to compete with that same squad and we built another squad a few years later that won more trophies and ought to have qualified for the Champions League not once but twice. 

No other club like ours has done that and backed it up, it's going to be nigh on impossible to do it again if we fall. We have real financial problems ahead of us if we do but we can't be resigned to that fact. We have to fight, we have to try and build and get some passion and pride back. We can do that for sure.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We can't be sure of anything with this ridiculous club of ours but we also cannot underestimate just how difficult and rare it is what we have done to a) win the league and have a squad capable with the funds and resources a club like ours have and b) to rebuild after it became clear we didn't have the stability to compete with that same squad and we built another squad a few years later that won more trophies and ought to have qualified for the Champions League not once but twice. 

No other club like ours has done that and backed it up, it's going to be nigh on impossible to do it again if we fall. We have real financial problems ahead of us if we do but we can't be resigned to that fact. We have to fight, we have to try and build and get some passion and pride back. We can do that for sure.

Agreed, it’s not doomsdaying saying we will double dip to League One or that we’ll be stuck in the Championship for years but just thinking the challenge if we come back up with a completely new squad, one built for the championship. Of course that could be a blessing as this squad seems to need an overall and of course we did it before. We were fortunate to have Nige and his team build the squad they did that came up and grew into the league. We would need to recruit brilliantly again and it’s easy to go the way of a Stoke, Swansea or West Brom.

As you say, financial constraints won’t make it easy and we will need new leaders at the top to maximise what we have. Also to use the academy. If we look in trouble still come January, I’d get some youngsters loaned out even if it’s League One to Two to get them some experience as we would need to tap into them in the event we go down.

Hopefully things will turn around the it is a grim prospect.

3 hours ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

If anyone knows about escaping relegation it's us. Hope it doesn't come to this though.

Not with this present team though. Simply no fight in them for a relegation scrap. We're fine if sides sit off us and let us play it around but anybody else and we're basically screwed.

On 18/09/2022 at 14:36, splinterdream said:

Nah, don't think so. Teams get relegated when they can't score and concede. We have good attacking football, we just can't keep the ball out of the net and I think with a new keeper, new manager and a different shape and energy we'll be fine

Unfortunately, we need to score at least 3 every game to get a point and at least 5 or 6 to get a win. Defend like we are currently doing and we're going to go down, no ifs no buts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Our ignorance around our academy is an even bigger bugbear of mine than this monumental regression and potential disaster we are careering towards.

We have an ambition to be sustainable and blew £100m on the best training facilities in the world and yet have opted to ignore serious investment in to our academy, the one area exempt from FFP and the one area that benefits more than any other when having the best facilities in the world. We've got largely the same coaches as we've had for years here, it's completely out of kilter with how we've looked to improve dramatically on and off the field. 

Does my head in.

Agreed, we need a manager who is pro youth rather than a cheque book manager, especially when said manager can’t even use the cheque book properly.

Obviously need better staff at that level which is on the club.

• Like 1

At this point, my opinion is we are too good on paper to go down. There are worse teams than us and we just need to get going somehow and at somepoint. Hopefully the next two games, against favourites for the drop, we can get a few points and kick on our season.

However, game is not played on paper.

Edited by blue army 1988

41 minutes ago, blue army 1988 said:

At this point, my opinion is we are too good on paper to go down. There are worse teams than us and we just need to get going somehow and at somepoint. Hopefully the next two games, against favourites for the drop, we can get a few points and kick on our season.

However, game is not played on paper.

You talking about players as individuals rather than the team though.

The team is basically the product of the players, the coaching and the mentality.