Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Relegation

25 minutes ago, Ashley said:

That squad is good enough. 

A team who finished 5th twice in a row, 8th once, won a FA Cup and Community Sheild is good. 

However, when your manager comes out and says we need a major shake up, that'll cast doubt into alot of minds. Is it me who's not good enough etc? 

That conversation/comment should have been left behind closed doors and been said to Rudkin, Whelan and top. Not casted to the World media. 

Players who aren't good enough to be here. 

Amartey, Ward and Albrighton. 

Cags needs a massive pick me up, currently not considered good enough for us but the likes of Chelsea and Atleti are looking at him? 

Ricardo massive pick me up - God bless him, let him stay injury free and hopefully there's a glimmer of his former self in there somewhere? 

Ndidi - see Ricardo

It’s vastly different to the teams that finished 5th. Justin has been awful since his return, Evans and Vardy are aging, we don’t have a RW, so Maddison is playing on the right because the manager is too scared to drop any of the key midfielders. As SemperEadem said, it’s unbalanced and a lot of our players are either past it or just not actually that good.

I’ve had enough of Soyuncu to be honest. He had one good season and has been awful ever since. We’ve just got far too much deadwood still on the books and are downgrading in each position and it’s left us with a really weak subs bench. 

Obviously this isn’t aimed at you, but whenever our players were linked away, fans would say “oh well Chilwell can go, we’ve got Thomas”. “Schmeichel can go, we’ve got Ward” etc

Much as I love Ricardo, I can barely even consider him ours, he’s injured that much. Like you say Ndidi is constantly out too.  

Edited by RonnieTodger
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Obviously we shouldn’t be in the relegation zone, but our squad is nowhere near as good as our fans seem to think it is. 

No it's not and some fans really overrate some of our players too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

That squad is good enough. 

A team who finished 5th twice in a row, 8th once, won a FA Cup and Community Sheild is good. 

However, when your manager comes out and says we need a major shake up, that'll cast doubt into alot of minds. Is it me who's not good enough etc? 

That conversation/comment should have been left behind closed doors and been said to Rudkin, Whelan and top. Not casted to the World media. 

Cags needs a massive pick me up, currently not considered good enough for us but the likes of Chelsea and Atleti are looking at him? 

Ricardo massive pick me up - God bless him, let him stay injury free and hopefully there's a glimmer of his former self in there somewhere? 

Ndidi - see Ricardo

Teams always need new players though. A shake up. Top teams never stand still, even when they win league titles they add quality. We've just added poor players and lost better ones. But ovrall I don't our squad is that good. We lack quality out wide and a lack a good goalkeeper, which are two key areas.

Pep said in an interview he needs to constantly freshen up his squad every year to keep them competing as you cannot go into a new season with the same squad. If Man city, who win nearly every trophy can't go into a new season without making additions what hope do we have realistically?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Teams always need new players though. A shake up. Top teams never stand still, even when they win league titles they add quality. We've just added poor players and lost better ones. But ovrall I don't our squad is that good. We lack quality out wide and a lack a good goalkeeper, which are two key areas.

1 hour ago, Lcfc098 said:

Pep said in an interview he needs to constantly freshen up his squad every year to keep them competing as you cannot go into a new season with the same squad. If Man city, who win nearly every trophy can't go into a new season without making additions what hope do we have realistically?

Interesting because when Rodgers says we need a refresh (in fact, what were his actual words?) it was the worst thing in the world. 

We just needed to adapt and grow. We did buy, just very badly. 

19 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Interesting because when Rodgers says we need a refresh (in fact, what were his actual words?) it was the worst thing in the world. 

We just needed to adapt and grow. We did buy, just very badly. 

The problem with Rodgers's persistance of repeating we need a rebuild is if it were not for him and congertons signings (bertrand, Vestegaard) and their extremely high wages we would not need as much of a rebuild as we did.

3 hours ago, Pliskin said:

What a dreadful mess we’re in. Selling the club might be the best move, there are some American billionaires who are wanting to invest into the premier league now, particularly ones who own NFL teams in a bit to extend their franchise.

Let's not be like NUFC fans waiting and praying for the Saudis.  You have no idea what you're going to get with "American billionaires" -- at best it's Russian roulette with half the chambers loaded.  Bigger chance of "another Glazers" than "another Liverpool".

We can live with "barely billionaire" owners whose goal is to build and support the club, and have the nous and decisiveness to do it.  Albeit Khun Vichai's blend of compassion and toughness was probably unique -- at least among billionaires.

Lately we’ve only seen the compassion (e.g. big contracts for our own who are aging or missing knee ligaments).  But there’s one reason I still hold out hope for the toughness.

I recently read the family's fortune has dropped well below ₤2 billion due to KP's travails.  The flipside = LCFC has gone from a fun side project to approaching 1/4 of their net worth.  Yet its board is burning its value to the ground.

It's one thing to be too skint to rescue your side project.  But this club is now part of the foundation.  When the foundation starts to rot, you act or lose the house.

This club needs just a few hard decisions and modest squad investment.  By spring it will need a teardown which take years.  Surely that is becoming evident to those in charge?

I’m hoping and praying.  Still behind these owners though.

16 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

I know this isn't exactly the place for any crumbs of optimism but after just watching forest villa there's a lot of shite down the bottom hopefully our superior players will tell over the season. 

I'm fairly sure I've seen this comment from you before in relation to a Bournemouth match.

Now theyve just made a 2-1 comeback over us and it was a deserved win as well.

As many poor teams there are in the league at the moment, we're currently the worst of them. It's a tough pill to swallow but we're not some quality side that will rise to the top of the league table over the course of the season, we're genuinely as bad as it comes in this league.

2 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

I'm fairly sure I've seen this comment from you before in relation to a Bournemouth match.

Now theyve just made a 2-1 comeback over us and it was a deserved win as well.

As many poor teams there are in the league at the moment, we're currently the worst of them. It's a tough pill to swallow but we're not some quality side that will rise to the top of the league table over the course of the season, we're genuinely as bad as it comes in this league.

Maddison is one of the best players in the league in his position and its supportered by his stats forest, wolves, Southampton etc would kill to have a player like him.

Daka has scored more goals than any other striker for the bottom 5.

Tilemans, KDH and Harvey barnes would walk into a lot of Premier league sides. 

Look we are where we are we deserve it and there's a good chance we will go down but come on, our squad on paper is no where near the worst in the league.

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

The first XI know their positions are pretty much guaranteed under Rodgers (Ward being played week after week is ample evidence of that). As a result, the first XI have become complacent and the players outside the XI have become demotivated as they never get a chance. The lack of signings has resulted in a lack of competition and motivation amongst the squad. Until the next transfer window, the only way to inject that is to bring in a new manager who would be willing to give all players an equal chance. 

Iversen and Wright coming back both created competition for places, instead Rodgers has made Ward weirdly undroppable and sold the other. 

1 hour ago, Lcfc098 said:

The problem with Rodgers's persistance of repeating we need a rebuild is if it were not for him and congertons signings (bertrand, Vestegaard) and their extremely high wages we would not need as much of a rebuild as we did.

Rodgers/Congerton had nothing to do with the financial side of it, only the football side (i.e. they had some influence in identifying players to recruit, but they didn't bid the transfer fee for Vestergaard/offer the contracts - when it was apparent that they'd both be costly deals, the financial people should have had a bit of backbone and said no to signing them).

19 minutes ago, pedmcl said:

Rodgers/Congerton had nothing to do with the financial side of it, only the football side (i.e. they had some influence in identifying players to recruit, but they didn't bid the transfer fee for Vestergaard/offer the contracts - when it was apparent that they'd both be costly deals, the financial people should have had a bit of backbone and said no to signing them).

And then we’d be in the situation we are now where Rodgers complains about not having any backing in the window 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lcfc098 said:

Pretty sure he only says that as he has only ever been at clubs who can afford to gobble up the best talent.

1 hour ago, The whole world smiles said:

Maddison is one of the best players in the league in his position and its supportered by his stats forest, wolves, Southampton etc would kill to have a player like him.

Daka has scored more goals than any other striker for the bottom 5.

Tilemans, KDH and Harvey barnes would walk into a lot of Premier league sides. 

Look we are where we are we deserve it and there's a good chance we will go down but come on, our squad on paper is no where near the worst in the league.

Yh but football isnt played on paper.

Every game I see a team that could score 2 goals in the first half and still struggle to walk away with 3 points in the second half. 

It's a strange way to be a poor side but there's no denying that we are extremely poor and because of the way we collapse in the last 45 minutes every game I wouldn't fancy us against any team in the league currently.

On 08/10/2022 at 17:07, Dames said:

I don’t think theres much chance of the club dipping their hands into their pockets, if we are bottom 3 by January I reckon they’ll just stick with what we have rather than trying to spend their way out of an unlikely situation. 

Its safety first on and off the pitch. 

...why should the club put their hands in their pocket, we can't just introduce money into the club which is not part of our turnover!!!

FFP is there to stop people pumping money into clubs and going bust as they overextend themselves.

13 hours ago, Ashley said:

This is harsh, man. The bloke has done nothing to warrant that. Is he the required quality for what we aspire to be? Probably not. Is he a man that will bust his balls for our club in the shit right now and desperately needs players that want to fight for the badge? Absolutely.

Sentiment aside, I’d take him in the team on Saturday.

The manager is dogshit, but we need more from the players too. 

• Like 1

I honestly don't believe we will be relegated as long as we make the inevitable managerial change soon.  I understand that there are financial issues involved but relegation is a lot more expensive than the used car salesman's payout.

On 10/10/2022 at 20:16, Sunbury Fox said:

I'm coming round to this view, having previously thought we had too much quality to be struggling for long.  The names on the team sheet look good on the whole but take a closer look and it is a less rosy picture. Taking what is probably our first choice team one by one:

Ward - hopeless

Timmy - solid but being asked to do the job of 2 men as we're not playing with a wide right player

Evans - past his best, appears to be struggling to cope physically in the PL these days

Faes - unproven, seems a bit rash

Justin - never been the same since returning from his ACL. A shadow of his former self. 

Ndidi - another who is a shadow of his former self following a catalogue of injuries and being asked to play in a way that he doesn't have the skillset for.

Youri - has lost his edge as he doesn't want to be at the club and is simply seeing out time.

KDH - runs around a lot but his quality on the ball is lacking for a PL midfielder. 

Maddison - brilliant player but needs to play as a proper 10.

Vardy - so far off it at the minute you can't help fearing that he is finally coming to the end. 

Barnes - you can see his ability in flashes but he is soooo frustrating to watch for most of the time. 

Rodgers - a manager who has totally lost his way, the fans and probably the players.

All fair arguments but even within that you can see fixable issues. I do totally accept the possibility that this squad isn't what it was but there's still no way it's one of the three worst. You can alleviate so many of those issues by changing system and having a coaching side with any clue at all about defending and defensive transition. What you've put there about Castagne sums up the entire problem for me. The entire system falls to pieces, almost by design.

I'd also argue that Iversen, Soyuncu, Praet, Daka, Iheanacho and honestly, hang me for it but arguably even Perez & Vestergaard could have more use than they currently do with a fresh approach. That's not that I rate the latter two in particular they've both been part of sides that didn't get relegated. That's where we're at now.

Getting relegated with this squad would be one of the most scandalous, shameful acts in the history of this league for me. I want to believe it will hit home how inept Rodgers actually is once he's finally gone but I also fear we're waiting so long that we'll put it beyond ourselves. I also do believe it's a quite mentally weak side. It stems from the manager but they're at such panic stations now that you don't trust them to not blow it.

I just cannot believe we've allowed this to become a possibility. Even if we get out of it this season I do fear it's now become an inevitability rather than ever kicking on and pushing for Europe again - and it's entirely our own doing.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RoboFox said:

This is harsh, man. The bloke has done nothing to warrant that. Is he the required quality for what we aspire to be? Probably not. Is he a man that will bust his balls for our club in the shit right now and desperately needs players that want to fight for the badge? Absolutely.

Sentiment aside, I’d take him in the team on Saturday.

The manager is dogshit, but we need more from the players too. 

It's not harsh though is it? 

He's done great things for the club but sadly, he's not good enough. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

It's not harsh though is it? 

He's done great things for the club but sadly, he's not good enough. 

I’d almost guarantee if Dyche came in he’d bring the workhorse back in in a second and we’d all be saying at the end of the season how vital his commitment was to keeping us up. 

Talent or not, it’s a massive thing that’s pissed me off when Brendan has questioned players commitment but then doesn’t give minutes to the one player who would give everything for this club. 

I’m not for a second saying it’s ideal, but I’m the situation we’re in right now he’d be in my XI Saturday, especially at home!