Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Relegation

10 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Sorry but "heart on sleeve" and "gives 100%" aren't good enough reasons to start a game. People always use this for Albrighton, is he not good at anything else?

I think people probably use this for Albrighton because he does always meet this (admittedly basic, you would think) requirement, whereas not all the other players always look like they do, and because a comapratively limited player giving maximum effort is probably more likely to make something happen than an apparently more gifted player who looks like they can't be arsed.

And yes, he is good at something else, he's probably the best crosser of a ball we have, and certainly the best at managing to get an actual cross in.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Sorry but "heart on sleeve" and "gives 100%" aren't good enough reasons to start a game. People always use this for Albrighton, is he not good at anything else? lol Even in his prime he never scored or assisted enough.

The only positive of Albrighton playing is that we have nothing out wide. I agree RE Barnes, he is not good enough and, again, if we had better quality out wide he wouldn't be in the team.

Yea, his defensive positioning is excellent. One of his best attributes is often he cuts out opponent counter-attacks by forcing them backwards, not something you can measure but if you watch him he usually does it several times a game.

We always concede less with him in the side and win more games. People who concentrate on his attacking side of the game completely miss the point with him. I’m surprised he’s not been giving a go based on how horrific our defence has been.

I also think writing off his terrific pressing ability, which is so important in the modern game, as just being “gives 100%’ is extremely simplistic to what he does. There’s very very few players in the country who press drastically as well as him. 

It’s not creativity we need up front right now, we’re scoring more than enough goals to drag ourselves clear. It’s defensive reinforcement and protection of our defence.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 4

I'd back the players if they went out and got smashed on Friday and rolled up stinking of booze on Saturday. Their manager doesn't care about their career so why should they care about his. I find it odd that they're still playing for him at all, he must be able to spin some quality chatter to them.

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

Yea, his defensive positioning is excellent. One of his best attributes is often he cuts out opponent counter-attacks by forcing them backwards, not something you can measure but if you watch him he usually does it several times a game.

We always concede less with him in the side and win more games. People who concentrate on his attacking side of the game completely miss the point with him. I’m surprised he’s not been giving a go based on how horrific our defence has been.

I also think writing off his terrific pressing ability, which is so important in the modern game, as just being “gives 100%’ is extremely simplistic to what he does. There’s very very few players in the country who press drastically as well as him. 

It’s not creativity we need up front right now, we’re scoring more than enough goals to drag ourselves clear. It’s defensive reinforcement and protection of our defence.

I think the only issue is that he's not match fit at all and getting older. I've said for the past 4/5 weeks though, there's no clearer indicator that Brendan is looking for his payout. The absence of Albrighton, a player he has always turned to when form has taken a downturn, tell me that Rodgers is subtly looking for the boot. To the layman it looks like he's putting out competitive teams but if you know the players, it's very of obvious he's weakening us and doing nothing to fix issues.

If he's not purposefully tanking us then he's an even worse manager than I have ever given him credit for.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I'd back the players if they went out and got smashed on Friday and rolled up stinking of booze on Saturday. Their manager doesn't care about their career so why should they care about his. I find it odd that they're still playing for him at all, he must be able to spin some quality chatter to them.

I think the only issue is that he's not match fit at all and getting older. I've said for the past 4/5 weeks though, there's no clearer indicator that Brendan is looking for his payout. The absence of Albrighton, a player he has always turned to when form has taken a downturn, tell me that Rodgers is subtly looking for the boot. To the layman it looks like he's putting out competitive teams but if you know the players, it's very of obvious he's weakening us and doing nothing to fix issues.

If he's not purposefully tanking us then he's an even worse manager than I have ever given him credit for.

I agree, I think they need to start disrespecting him as much as he has them.

10 hours ago, Sampson said:

Tbh I do appreciate the defensive side of his role but I also think it's overrated. He was a regular in Ranieri's side which shipped goals so I don't know if we concede less with him in the side.

We lack wingers but I can't believe we've got to the point where we are still considering him to play. It just comes back to poor recuitment again.

21 hours ago, ceebeefox said:

Barnes along with Madders are our last two diamonds that would fetch big money if they left. I’ve said it before on here, the hardest thing to do in football is take the ball past someone and make things happen. You can’t do it every time every game or every week. What a shame we got rid of Demari Gray so easily, he needed an arm round his shoulder ( like all wingers) and be told he was having a run of ten games, he would’ve thrived. Albrighton interestingly is one of those wingers who doesn’t have to beat his man, just half a yard and it’s in with quality, and guess what, putting a right footer on the right whipping balls in and we will see the resurgence of a certain starved Mr Vardy! Who knew you could have a right foot and play on the right!

He is the best crosser at the club, I'll give you that. I don't think Vardy is "starved" though considering he has regularly missed chances too this season.

22 hours ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

I think people probably use this for Albrighton because he does always meet this (admittedly basic, you would think) requirement, whereas not all the other players always look like they do, and because a comapratively limited player giving maximum effort is probably more likely to make something happen than an apparently more gifted player who looks like they can't be arsed.

And yes, he is good at something else, he's probably the best crosser of a ball we have, and certainly the best at managing to get an actual cross in.

Oh brilliant the biggest myth in football is back out, we were an underrated away from a full house. 
Mahrez looked like he couldn’t be arsed most minutes at Leicester but produced numbers 10 or 20 times better. 
Being a good crosser is absolutely pointless when you’ve got no one to aim at, it’s entirely hit and hope because he hasn’t got the skill to beat anyone or create chances. I think in 2017/18 there was a stat that 8 out of his 90 odd crosses were accurate. 
5 or 6 years ago Albrighton May have been useful but whilst we’re absolutely hopeless at the back it would be suicidal to weaken our attack, especially when it would mean dropping barnes or Maddison to accommodate him

• Haha 1

Guest Col city fan

Albrighton and Vardy are on the same wavelength and always have been. That could be important at the moment.

If any player is going to kick start Vardy scoring goals again, it’ll be Marc

9 minutes ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

Oh brilliant the biggest myth in football is back out, we were an underrated away from a full house. 
Mahrez looked like he couldn’t be arsed most minutes at Leicester but produced numbers 10 or 20 times better. 
Being a good crosser is absolutely pointless when you’ve got no one to aim at, it’s entirely hit and hope because he hasn’t got the skill to beat anyone or create chances. I think in 2017/18 there was a stat that 8 out of his 90 odd crosses were accurate. 
5 or 6 years ago Albrighton May have been useful but whilst we’re absolutely hopeless at the back it would be suicidal to weaken our attack, especially when it would mean dropping barnes or Maddison to accommodate him

How does it mean dropping Barnes or Maddison? I think most are saying we desperately need a body on the right so we can move Maddison back inside and stop this suicidal and idiotic playing Maddison on the right. It’d be one of KDH, Tielemans and Ndidi who’d be dropped for him

What frustrates me the most is we lined up 4-2-3-1 throughout pre season and by the end of it we looked very good. There is no reason we shouldn’t be lining up like that now. It would give us balance and better protection out wide with either Albrighton or Perez on the right hand side, Madders back in the middle as No 10. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

What frustrates me the most is we lined up 4-2-3-1 throughout pre season and by the end of it we looked very good. There is no reason we shouldn’t be lining up like that now. It would give us balance and better protection out wide with either Albrighton or Perez on the right hand side, Madders back in the middle as No 10. 

Exactly this.

We should be picking the shape and tactics first, then choosing the best players for each position.

IMO one of Tielemans or KDH should start, and we should be starting with either Perez or Albrighton on the right.

12 hours ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

Wtf has Mahrez got to do with this? 😂

13 hours ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

and because a comapratively limited player giving maximum effort is probably more likely to make something happen than an apparently more gifted player who looks like they can't be arsed.

7 minutes ago, It'sblueupnorth said:
12 hours ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

Wtf has Mahrez got to do with this? 😂

13 hours ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

and because a comapratively limited player giving maximum effort is probably more likely to make something happen than an apparently more gifted player who looks like they can't be arsed.

Ah, now I see. 'Probably more likely' is too nuanced for you to understand. My bad.

And I don't know if you've noticed, but Mahrez isn't currently in the team and hasn't been for a while, so nobody's suggesting that Mahrez should be dropped in favour of Albrighton.

On 14/10/2022 at 08:55, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

Ah, now I see. 'Probably more likely' is too nuanced for you to understand. My bad.

And I don't know if you've noticed, but Mahrez isn't currently in the team and hasn't been for a while, so nobody's suggesting that Mahrez should be dropped in favour of Albrighton.

No there was no nuance about your statement. You are plainly wrong and have tried digging yourself out by trying to make yourself sound intelligent, it hasn’t worked. 
Maybe the Mahrez comparison is too nuanced for you too understand, who is suggesting Mahrez should be dropped for Albrighton? The point is there is not a winger in the league less likely to ‘make something happen’ than Albrighton. Players with far more talent could achieve his average goal and assist tally in about 10 games. It’s not even just wingers, full backs and centre mids put in better numbers to Marc, MA has never equalled or bettered Robert Huths goal tally of 3 in a season ffs.  
Look at the full backs for Liverpool. Robertson has far less talent but has a far higher work rate than TAA and TAA still creates and scores far more. Who would you say is more likely to make something happen out of Ronaldo and Albrighton? 
Work rate is a given in the premier league, if you don’t have it you’ll get found out very quickly, but talented players will quickly, to use your terms, make things happen. There’s a reason why the Albrightons and Robert Snodgrasses of the league get far less goals and assists than the Mahrez and Salahs of the league. 

• Haha 1