Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Relegation

Anyone think the remit is bottom three over the World Cup and he's gone?

I've seen alot of shift of opinion that he's got till the end of the season, either way is a gamble but can we afford to just sit and let the club sink? May aswell die trying.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Anyone think the remit is bottom three over the World Cup and he's gone?

I've seen alot of shift of opinion that he's got till the end of the season, either way is a gamble but can we afford to just sit and let the club sink? May aswell die trying.

...no one survives a run and performances that he had and still be backed by his owners, unless the perception was that the problem laid elsewhere!!!

There is no pressure on Rodgers from above, it was hard to explain how game after game, he (Rodgers ) retained Top's confidence. What I  believe we were witnessing was a power struggle between Top and the players.

Gaining the upper hand also meant indirectly backing Rodgers. 

14 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

If we sat in the bottom three at the break would that be enough in Top’s eyes do we think to sack the manager then?

Just posed the same question.

From what we've seen and how bad we've been this season, with Top and the board not even seemingly close to giving him the chop so much so he seemed disappointed in the fans! I'd say no, unfortunately.

Even by my admittal, we've had an upturn in form, playing reasonable and getting a couple of results, personally that's only because Brendan has been forced to go against his vision, his philosophy, but we've seen this before and we all know it'll be short lived and his way will be back. Fortunately, because of that we've got a couple of much needed results in the last few weeks. Unfortunately, it's kept him in a job and perhaps even strengthened his job beyond the World Cup.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A lot of humble pie being eaten on here with the exception of the usual handful of ‘I’m always Rodgers out’ naysayers. If we continue to play like we have been then clearly we won’t go down but if we went back to how we were in the first 7 games then clearly we will.  The rest is idle speculation.

Edited by Mr Weller 2

24 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

I think we have some interesting weeks / months ahead. Brushing the Wolves game to one side, we have been poor away from home for sometime and i realistically think the best we are going to get from the next two is 1 point. This plants us firmly in the bottom 3.

But, right now, we are 6th in the form league (https://thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=1). I know this doesn't stop us getting relegated, but if we had dumped Rodgers would we have done better than this?  Hand on heart, i don't think so.

But its clear to me that Rodgers does not see a long term future for himself here. He's upped talk about the January window - is this realistic and is he likely to get anything that interests him? Then we have the inevitable rebuild in the summer. Assuming we aren't relegated, are we realistically going to replenish the squad with better replacements for Youri and Madders? Of course not, and i think that makes things even less interesting for him. No matter what happens this season the world class portion of our side is very likely on the way out.

To some degree, Top has made the situation more difficult by keeping Rodgers and Rogers somewhat turning things around. We continue in this weird situation where its likely we keep him, but won't financially back him. I think if Brendan gets nothing in January its very likely he goes on a huge sulk again, and in my opinion it was this summers sulk that caused the slump at the start of this season. If we keep Rodgers and that happens again, we are in serious danger.

Therefore, if the board are not willing to financially back him, they need to be getting rid asap regardless and planning for the future properly.

Great post, I'm also a little suspicious of Brendan's comments about January. I think it's a pressure ploy on the board, it's far too opposite to what he was saying in the final week or so of the window. What's changed? Relegation being a genuine possibility perhaps but we'd still need bodies off the wage bill if the reason we didn't strengthen last summer was purely down to a bloated wage bill. 

He's managed to bend the narrative to fit his stance from last season and the summer. He needed to rebuild, he wasn't able to and therfore we were going to struggle. We've struggled and thr board still won't sack him so once again he will push and push that he needs players in to make us prosper and the board will likely be softened by thst given a 6 game losing run and breaking records along the way still wasn't enough for them to stop believing the nonsense that often comes out of his gob.

1 minute ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

A lot of humble pie being eaten on here with the exception of the usual handful of ‘I’m always Rodgers out’ naysayers. If we continue to play like we have been then clearly we won’t go down but if we went back to how we were in the first 7 games then clearly we will.  The rest is idle speculation.

I don't think that's a fair assessment to make yet. I'm a staunch Rodgers out man but I welcome the improvement we have seen. Yet its still only been against teams that are abysmal in this league and until we prove we can get results at home against the better sides and away from home get more than the occasional token win or even draw then we are bang in trouble for the whole season.

You don't recover from losing 6 games on the spin very quickly, it's like getting annihilated at a family gathering, drop kicking the cat, letting the budgie out its cage and feeding it chicken phaal and then calling your Dad a fat coont and spitting neat brandy at your Nan. Bridges are burnt, often there's too much damage done but even if things can be repaired it takes a long, long time to prove your worthy of forgiveness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

No humble pie on my menu so far..    You may not have noticed but we are still in the bottom three of the Premier League !!!

He hasn't proven anything to me yet.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

The form in our first 7 games wasn't a coincidence, and our form now isn't guaranteed. Ric raises an interesting point in that the current situation is almost engineered. You have the period where Rodgers was throwing toys out of the pram and the team were hugely affected, and in the same period he wasn't using the squad effectively (Brentford!). None of us thought the Rodgers was working to his full potential late pre-season and at the start of this season.

So the themes are:

• We need a rebuild
  • I didn't my rebuild, and now we are likely to struggle
  • We struggle
  • Rodgers turns it around
  • Our form is top 6, but we are still in a relegation fight. 
  • We need new bodies in January, or we are likely to still struggle

The big question is what happens next?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

Spoiler Alert - We will.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Great post, I'm also a little suspicious of Brendan's comments about January. I think it's a pressure ploy on the board, it's far too opposite to what he was saying in the final week or so of the window. What's changed? Relegation being a genuine possibility perhaps but we'd still need bodies off the wage bill if the reason we didn't strengthen last summer was purely down to a bloated wage bill. 

He's managed to bend the narrative to fit his stance from last season and the summer. He needed to rebuild, he wasn't able to and therfore we were going to struggle. We've struggled and thr board still won't sack him so once again he will push and push that he needs players in to make us prosper and the board will likely be softened by thst given a 6 game losing run and breaking records along the way still wasn't enough for them to stop believing the nonsense that often comes out of his gob.

His narrative is the most annoying aspect of this season…. Most of my mates who don’t follow Leicester all day the same things, he’s a world class manager and you haven’t backed him….. and it could be further from the truth. He’s actually a genius when it comes to himself. He would make a great politician, just talking bollocks all the time and inventing issues that don’t exist…… it’s frightening how many people he has managed to swindle. 

I genuinely think he could flog a dead horse. 

Edited by Pliskin
  • Like 1

I think we will be fine, but it going to be a long haul to move up the table to we all feel it no longer a issue.

Other then two lots of crazy 20 mins against Southampton and Brentford we would be looking pretty good.

I think people underestimate the impact of the Fofana and Kasper sagas.

Our start is going to be a knock on problem for a while, unfortunately.

The fact we have a good attack and the defence appears to have had some coaching at least makes our situation better than six weeks ago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

His narrative is the most annoying aspect of this season…. Most of my mates who don’t follow Leicester all day the same things, he’s a world class manager and you haven’t backed him….. and it could be further from the truth. He’s actually a genius when it comes to himself. He would make a great politician, just talking bollocks all the time and inventing issues that don’t exist…… it’s frightening how many people he has managed to swindle. 

In some ways you have to admire him. He has come from a failed playing career and has worked his way up to multi millionaire status purely on his media skills and acute business sense. Is he a bad manager? No , of course he's not but his limitations are pretty obvious if you observe him closely like we do. Unfortunately for us right now , the outer world is not scrutinising him properly.

1 hour ago, Chelmofox said:

But, right now, we are 6th in the form league (https://thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=1). I know this doesn't stop us getting relegated, but if we had dumped Rodgers would we have done better than this?  Hand on heart, i don't think so.

I dont think many teams have had a better run of fixtures than Forrest, Bournemouth, crystal palace, Leeds and wolves to be fair.

Although we are seeing in the case of liverpool that those fixtures are loseable, I dont think comparing our form over a run of 5 games to other teams who will have had a different set of fixtures is a good indication of where we're at as a side.

Just now, An Sionnach said:

In some ways you have to admire him. He has come from a failed playing career and has worked his way up to multi millionaire status purely on his media skills and acute business sense. Is he a bad manager? No , of course he's not but his limitations are pretty obvious if you observe him closely like we do. Unfortunately for us right now , the outer world is not scrutinising him properly.

José without the tactical knowledge then... 

If he can keep this form up and is backed in jan and is still here in the summer i dont see an issue. But if we drop form and capitulate, but survive i dont see him here or want him here.

50 minutes ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

Humble pie?! lol We're in the relegation zone.

It keeps being said but the fact that we're talking about just surviving with this squad, which should be challenging at the other end of the table, is an absolute embarrassment. Whatever happens now, the damage has been done and only winning a cup (and staying up) is going to undo some of that damage.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Agreed. They’re must wins in my eyes. 

that is too much pressure to apply, especially when some of the players will have half an eye on the following weeks 

One win from these two fixtures and a draw or unfair defeat in the other would be acceptable. 

Just now, honeybradger said:

I dont think many teams have had a better run of fixtures than Forrest, Bournemouth, crystal palace, Leeds and wolves to be fair.

Although we are seeing in the case of liverpool that those fixtures are loseable, I dont think comparing our form over a run of 5 games to other teams who will have had a different set of fixtures is a good indication of where we're at as a side.

As you say, Liverpool might feel differently… your point is correct which is why the next two games are so relevant. Everton are very solid at the back and the more games DCL plays, the better they will become going forward. West Ham look to have turned a corner although their performances haven’t looked that great. 

13 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Well he is world class... At least he is at the very thing you have pointed out; his ability to play the media. Incredible stuff.

We'd actually started to get a bit more credit a be viewed as a team that should be top 7/8 and if that was the case, there's no way the media wouldn't have been calling for him to get sacked after 5/6 games this season.

8 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

I couldn’t agree more.