Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Relegation

1 hour ago, daddylonglegs said:

I think 3 of those 4 predictions are optimistic, but i suppose we've got to pick up problems from somewhere. 

I think we'll finish on roughly 40 points. Which is a pathetic return. But Brendan & his fanboys will find a way of calling it a great success.

Rodgers is a very good coach but he has a shelf life and he is well past that now. We are regressing under his stewardship and our recruitment under him has been diabolical. 

If we have a poor summer we will be at serious risk of going down next season.

• Like 2

I've got absolutely no doubts that we'll still be in the Premier League next season. The worry is the 23/24 season when we've sold Maddison, lost Tielemans, Amartey and Evans to expiring contracts and go into that season with the likes of Ndidi, Vardy and Iheanacho in the last year of their contracts.

We're in a monumental mess and have already missed the deadline to start sorting it out. The club have to pull their fingers out of their arse NOW because if we go down there's every chance we go belly up.

We need to make (I would say minimum) 3 first team signings this window. By that I mean three players that play every week.

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

I've got absolutely no doubts that we'll still be in the Premier League next season. The worry is the 23/24 season when we've sold Maddison, lost Tielemans, Amartey and Evans to expiring contracts and go into that season with the likes of Ndidi, Vardy and Iheanacho in the last year of their contracts.

We're in a monumental mess and have already missed the deadline to start sorting it out. The club have to pull their fingers out of their arse NOW because if we go down there's every chance we go belly up.

We need to make (I would say minimum) 3 first team signings this window. By that I mean three players that play every week.

Needing to stay in the Premier League because otherwise we'll go bankrupt and collapse.

Football is just magical isn't it?

1 minute ago, TJQuik said:

Needing to stay in the Premier League because otherwise we'll go bankrupt and collapse.

Football is just magical isn't it?

This is what happens when you throw 80k a week contracts at players like Ryan Bertrand or give pay rises and extensions to players that have just come back from massive injuries.

Also what happens when you don't sell your players and instead keep them here until they either fall out of favour and nobody wants them or when their contract runs out and you're forced to sell for peanuts.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Agree with most of this but if we went down (as long as not this year) I don’t think we’d go belly up as most of the high earners I believe will be gone by summer 2024. It seems to be the wage bill causing issues so as long as we weren’t carrying the likes of Bertrand and Vestergard still.

Not to say we’d be in a strong position to come back up mind but probably build a cheaper squad for that level. Problem is the years of squad building for premier league level, to go down and even if you come back up again, you don’t have the squad for the top level…

4 hours ago, leicesterseddon said:

At the time, I regarded the West Ham and Everton wins as a turning point. But it’s now clear they are potential relegation candidates too, so I’m starting to reassess that theory.

Our five wins this season have all been against sides lower than 14th.

Unless that starts to change, there’s no reason not to assume we are in with a chance of relegation too. 

And herein lies the big problem. We seem to be completely incapable of picking up any or hardly any points against so-called big 6 and I'm going to add Newcastle to them this season. So, in effect, our season is just 24 games long and we need to win around 50% of those to stay up.

Easy to see why we are among the favourites to go down. I'd say it will be 3 from 5, us, Southampton, Bournemouth, Forest and Wolves. Possibly add Everton and West Ham to that list but I think both will have enough to stay up.

Just looking at the player section of the forum. How have Rudkin & Whelan mismanaged the playing side so badly regarding contracts. 

8 players out of contract in 6 months another 11 players out contract in 18 months. Rudkin doesn’t seem to be able to work on more than 1 deal at a time, we look a mess of a club.

18 minutes ago, reynard said:

And herein lies the big problem. We seem to be completely incapable of picking up any or hardly any points against so-called big 6 and I'm going to add Newcastle to them this season. So, in effect, our season is just 24 games long and we need to win around 50% of those to stay up.

Easy to see why we are among the favourites to go down. I'd say it will be 3 from 5, us, Southampton, Bournemouth, Forest and Wolves. Possibly add Everton and West Ham to that list but I think both will have enough to stay up.

I'd add Leeds to the mix as well. I think it will be Bournemouth, Southampton, and Forest that go down.

50 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Re. your last paragraph, I agree. However, I think the chances of it happening are zero.

Guest Col city fan
4 hours ago, AKCJ said:

I thought we were skint?

I’m not sure if we’ll make these signings that Brendan wants and alludes to. We’ve been at this junction before and we purchased one defender late in the window and a 3rd choice keeper. 

This football club is broken. Clubs from the championship now recruit better than us, spend more than us, play better than us. 

If Top, Rudkin etc. all need to go as well as the manager, then so be it. Someone has completely fallen asleep at the wheel.

• Like 3

We really are in danger of a doom spiral. The club over-extended in trying to secure Champions League and at the time it seemed absolutely the right thing to do. Top 6/7 seemed inevitable. The mental impact of not qualifying twice in a row AND serious injuries on the squad was perhaps too great to bear for players and manager. It was clear by last summer though that the European project needed a pause. I think it's easy to blame Rudkin/Whelan in hindsight but the reality was nobody wanted our poor squad players even for peanuts leaving the club in the worst position possible. I think we will stay up just because the teams around us are struggling as much as we are and we've shown capacity to go on winning runs already. 

I don't think Brendan Rodgers will see out the summer. The team needs a new kind of manager who's goal is to rebuild towards top-12 with limited budget. The academy won't be helping much next season judging by current loanees. Absolutely key summer coming up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moseeds said:

We really are in danger of a doom spiral. The club over-extended in trying to secure Champions League and at the time it seemed absolutely the right thing to do. Top 6/7 seemed inevitable. The mental impact of not qualifying twice in a row AND serious injuries on the squad was perhaps too great to bear for players and manager. It was clear by last summer though that the European project needed a pause. I think it's easy to blame Rudkin/Whelan in hindsight but the reality was nobody wanted our poor squad players even for peanuts leaving the club in the worst position possible. I think we will stay up just because the teams around us are struggling as much as we are and we've shown capacity to go on winning runs already. 

I don't think Brendan Rodgers will see out the summer. The team needs a new kind of manager who's goal is to rebuild towards top-12 with limited budget. The academy won't be helping much next season judging by current loanees. Absolutely key summer coming up.

Good posts. I agree we aren't DOOMED yet, we should stay up through there being 3 worse teams but things look extremely bleak long term unless something changes. We are following the trajectory of Southampton, Stoke or going back further Sunderland where each year you circle the drain more and more. And when you go down like that you don't come back up. Brendan leaving would be a start but it's clear we have bigger issues elsewhere in the clubs management. 

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan

I think those who are suggesting it’s ‘impossible’ that we get relegated are thinking with their hearts, not their heads.

Lose this tonight and we are in trouble I think 

Another somewhat weak defence of Rudkin/Whelan - the club's strategy for years has been to sell just 1 valuable asset each summer to fund further acquisitions. Last summer that was clearly proving to be an unrealistic proposition with Fofana, Maddison and Tielemans all threatening to leave or being tapped  up with European football looking even more remote. Only inflated wages would prevent the team being completely dismantled and therefore guaranteeing relegation.

I imagine the energy expended on trying not to totally destroy the wage structure, trying to offload crap squad players, trying to secure at least 1 target, uncertainty with long-term rehabbing players and of-course King Powers own economic outlook all got too much for what is quite a small management team. The fatal mistake was Rodgers announcing well before the end of the season that there needed to be a clear-out. Clearly some players (e.g. Soyuncu) just downed tools meaning when transfer deadline day approached, morale was DOA. 

Absolute shitstorm of a summer - perhaps one we'll look back on as the point at which the title-winning era was completely over.

6 minutes ago, Manini said:

Them loans against the future TV money are starting to look a bit tasty aren’t they 

We’re in serious trouble when the inevitable happens at this rate. We’re basically going back into that league without the parachute payments. 

1 minute ago, Sly said:

We’re in serious trouble when the inevitable happens at this rate. We’re basically going back into that league without the parachute payments. 

Seems like an unbelievably big gamble to me, basically sticking the club on black and we’ve just got to watch on and see what happens.

8 minutes ago, Manini said:

Seems like an unbelievably big gamble to me, basically sticking the club on black and we’ve just got to watch on and see what happens.

Without a shadow of doubt. It’ll inevitably cost us more coming back up, than attempting to stay up.