Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Relegation

14 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

This is the worst I've seen from us since we were promoted, even our miracle survival season we looked half decent during our bad spell and were hardly getting trounced but this season the team just looks like a team that is going one way with little fight.

We never lost by more than 2 goals that season, even being rooted to the bottom for months. Only us and Arsenal that did that, that season. 

We've been beaten by 3+ goals 4 times this season alone...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

I don’t mind not pretty, we’re in a cycle of poor runs and then results papering over the cracks, with the hope we will come good. We as a club need to get to crisis point so people take action and failings are addressed. It’s all very complacent and it’s not good enough.

Problem is this at times spineless team cannot play ugly like Leicester of old , most of our goals are pretty ones, we don’t do corners or scruffy tap ins.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ceebeefox said:

Problem is this at times spineless team cannot play ugly like Leicester of old , most of our goals are pretty ones, we don’t do corners or scruffy tap ins.

Scruffy goals are underrated in football especially at the top level when a fraction of a percentage makes such a difference.

Cant remember if it was this season or last but I remember a goal we conceded where we lost a couple of genuine 50/50s, the opposition shot was blocked and they reacted first with the rebound to score an ugly goal even though our player was closer to the ball. If we win even one of those mini battles, they dont score, just summed us up.

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

Scruffy goals are underrated in football especially at the top level when a fraction of a percentage makes such a difference.

Cant remember if it was this season or last but I remember a goal we conceded where we lost a couple of genuine 50/50s, the opposition shot was blocked and they reacted first with the rebound to score an ugly goal even though our player was closer to the ball. If we win even one of those mini battles, they dont score, just summed us up.

I don’t think our lot are familiar with the marginal gains model of improvement. 

3 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

We never lost by more than 2 goals that season, even being rooted to the bottom for months. Only us and Arsenal that did that, that season. 

Do you get more points for losing 2-1 the 4-1?

4 hours ago, ithuriel said:

This is the worst I've seen from us since we were promoted, even our miracle survival season we looked half decent during our bad spell and were hardly getting trounced but this season the team just looks like a team that is going one way with little fight.

Not for me. We went about 6 games without even scoring under Ranieri, on top of getting dumped out of the FA Cup by a side that weren't even top 10 in League 1 at the time.

Also when we were bottom in 14/15 we didn't win in 13 games. I don't care if we weren't getting trounced but, especially, the games at QPR, Palace, Newcastle were awful.

13 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The scary thing is, looking down those results it seems highly optimistic we'd get such results and yet if we did, we'd only finish on 47 points. It's horrifying.

Scaping it..if that what iit takes,still hope for further cup interest...

I believe no matter how bad we are at present,we carry on believing some season form can be still clawed out of the rest of the season..

"Why carry on being a fan" if we can't be positive..& hope.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mike1983 said:

If we can’t beat Forest then we might as well begin to get comfy in the championship already now.

We could have Barcelona's squad from the Pep era and I'd still expect us to make twats of ourselves at that place.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, ceebeefox said:

Apologies, I meant not pretty as in fans turning on the club, and some issues being leaked publicly. The club manages to keep itself out the spotlight and just ticks a long, it can’t keep happening. I imagine a lot of what we see on the field is as a result of a comfortable and complacent environment off it.

Edited by LcFc_Smiv
  • Like 1

I think we'll be safe from relegation, but only just. I still think there's at least 4 teams that are worse than us and once we get a couple back from injury we'll be fine.

However, it is a weird feeling but I am not scared of actually being relegated. In some way it feels like the club needs a good purge, both of a lot of the squad on big wages going at the end of the season but also hopefully some of the sensitive/overreactive fans we've seemed to pick up over the last 6 years - would be nice to be able to get to more games as well as surely general sale would return too lol.

• Like 1

I think we’ll be ok if we get a few players in this transfer window. Im hopeful that’ll give the squad the refresh it needs to pick up some points we otherwise wouldn’t have. 

If not, we’re going to become a case study for why you can’t stand still in the premier league. There’s been absolutely no action from the board or top for well over a year now, it’s baffling. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Not for me. We went about 6 games without even scoring under Ranieri, on top of getting dumped out of the FA Cup by a side that weren't even top 10 in League 1 at the time.

Also when we were bottom in 14/15 we didn't win in 13 games. I don't care if we weren't getting trounced but, especially, the games at QPR, Palace, Newcastle were awful.

Those were both bad but at least with Ranieri it was clear that he was trying to do something different to stop the rot, even though it was unsuccessful floundering in the most part.  What hurt me the most was watching Don Claudio heading towards the sack after everything that had happened the previous season. 

With 14/15 it was bleak but our expectations (and quality of player) were far lower than currently.  We were a newly promoted side battling to adjust to the huge step up to the prem and in response to the bleak results Pearson changed formation/personnel and lo and behold we survived.

Neither manager at the time tried to blame the club/squad size/budget/fans/tea lady for the poor results or doggedly stuck with a failing system.

19 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

16 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Do you get more points for losing 2-1 the 4-1?

Don't be obtuse. The point is, that even when we were rooted to the bottom of the table for months under Pearson, we had fight, grit and weren't getting spanked. That was (part) of platform that the great escape was built on. 

We don't appear to have that this season...

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

The point is, that even when we were rooted to the bottom of the table for months under Pearson, we had fight, grit and weren't getting spanked

That is certainly my overall recollection. We weren't playing badly as such and, more to the point, I was enjoying the games - even if we were getting beaten. The turnaround (the 'great escape') wasn't so much a surprise as a reward, as if things just started going for us. Our sequence of wins before the WC were seemingly out of nowhere. We'd been abysmal up until that point - and I wasn't enjoying it. I don't think we're back to that, I thought our performances at Liverpool and against Fulham showed we had some fight, but we've still nothing like that winning formula.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Don't be obtuse. The point is, that even when we were rooted to the bottom of the table for months under Pearson, we had fight, grit and weren't getting spanked. That was (part) of platform that the great escape was built on. 

We don't appear to have that this season...

Did the title-winning side have grit and fight? 

3 hours ago, Death by Football said:

Those were both bad but at least with Ranieri it was clear that he was trying to do something different to stop the rot, even though it was unsuccessful floundering in the most part.  What hurt me the most was watching Don Claudio heading towards the sack after everything that had happened the previous season. 

With 14/15 it was bleak but our expectations (and quality of player) were far lower than currently.  We were a newly promoted side battling to adjust to the huge step up to the prem and in response to the bleak results Pearson changed formation/personnel and lo and behold we survived.

Neither manager at the time tried to blame the club/squad size/budget/fans/tea lady for the poor results or doggedly stuck with a failing system.

Ranieri lost it. Totally. I know people forget but those series of results/performances I spoke about were horrific and worse than now. People wanted him out just like they wanted Pearson out, go back on here and check threads and you can see the same people wanted Pearson out.

I love Pearson, and always will, and he didn't blame anybody but he said a lot of strange things. "Delusions of grandeur" springs to mind after a home defeat to Barnsley. Imagine Rodgers coming out with that, there would be an uproar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Did the title-winning side have grit and fight? 

Yes. Obviously. We only lost 3 times. We won the league! We won a fair amount of points from losing positions. We had a lot of clean sheets and didn't concede many. 

What kind of counter-argument is this!? 

44 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Yes. Obviously. We only lost 3 times. We won the league! We won a fair amount of points from losing positions. We had a lot of clean sheets and didn't concede many. 

What kind of counter-argument is this!? 

So where did that fight and grit go in 2016/17? 

Or did it all come from Kante?

Edited by coolhandfox

14 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

What’s that got to do with anything? When you’ve got a coherent argument, get back to me. 

Because you are talking about fight and grit, most people would agree the title winning said had lots of both.

Both what happened the following season to the fight and grit?

I can find 11 Sunday league players with loads of fight and grit, if that's all it takes.