Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ealingfox

Relegation

Guest Col city fan

I think the bottom 3 at the moment will be the bottom three at the end, and probably in that order. 
But it’s wide open. And if we lose against Southampton it’s going to be even more wide open.

A9C8748C-4234-431A-8C9F-5B7F267F3D08.png

25 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

the thing that seems different this year is that teams actually are taking points off of each other…. not just drawing. 

It seems there’s a winner everytime the bottom clubs face each other. Which is a pain! 

Yes, often 1-0 as well. I suppose it means other sides are remaining in the mix. Ultimately if we could get act together and win a few in a row or even turn some defeats into draws, we’d pull away from trouble. We just seem the definition of one step forward and two steps back!

8 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Actually the reverse, if you have two team adrift everyone else picks up more point as those two give up points.

When it's more equal everyone cut each other throats.

And that will be the case for us too, we are likely to be bang in the relegation pack right to the very end unless we show a marked upturn in average points per game.

Can't see relegation happening, no matter how poor things have been currently.

Would be great for football if Everton went down but, like they've done over the past couple of seasons, they'll probably wriggle out of it just.

It seems too late for Southampton now.

6 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Can't see relegation happening, no matter how poor things have been currently.

Would be great for football if Everton went down but, like they've done over the past couple of seasons, they'll probably wriggle out of it just.

It seems too late for Southampton now.

Lose to Southampton and we are in the serious sh*t, as our heads will drop and I can’t see us getting out of the rot. It’s such a key game and we can’t wander into it assuming everything is going to be ok regardless. The thing that bugged me the most yesterday was the lack of awareness that we were in a relegation scrap. Concerned we get Chelsea on a new manager bounce too. The only way out of this is to get our mojo back and fast. If that happens, I will be less concerned. 

8 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Lose to Southampton and we are in the serious sh*t, as our heads will drop and I can’t see us getting out of the rot. It’s such a key game and we can’t wander into it assuming everything is going to be ok regardless. The thing that bugged me the most yesterday was the lack of awareness that we were in a relegation scrap. Concerned we get Chelsea on a new manager bounce too. The only way out of this is to get our mojo back and fast. If that happens, I will be less concerned. 

Not one player has any balls, we don’t have anyone that takes the game by the scruff of the neck and turns the game around, add to this a clueless manager that sprouts so much shit in his after match interviews and who never takes responsibility says it all.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I think the bottom 3 at the moment will be the bottom three at the end, and probably in that order. 
But it’s wide open. And if we lose against Southampton it’s going to be even more wide open.

A9C8748C-4234-431A-8C9F-5B7F267F3D08.png

Everyone from palace down is capable of being relegated - this has to be one of the lowest quality PLs in years.  

Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool possibly even Man City worse than last year.

you don’t need much quality this year to either finish top 4 or avoid relegation.

• Like 2

Based on the talent level in the squads, Leeds and ourselves should be relatively safe.  But if we’re in the midst of it with a few matches left I’d be very worried, because there seems to be a mental fragility to every Rodgers’ side.  Leeds too seem to wither under the pressure more than they should, though we’ll see if Garcia can change that.

I’d still bank on Soton and Bournemouth going down, and I think 36-37 points will be the number for 17th.  But it’s wide open and in no way are we free and clear.

12 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

And that will be the case for us too, we are likely to be bang in the relegation pack right to the very end unless we show a marked upturn in average points per game.

We have 8 games against the bottom 10.

Our form against the bottom 10 has been pretty good.

6 wins, 1 Draw, and 3 losses, which is 19 points from 10 games @ 1.9 points per game. 

It is our form against the top 10 that has been dreadful.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Always Next Year said:

Not one player has any balls, we don’t have anyone that takes the game by the scruff of the neck and turns the game around, add to this a clueless manager that sprouts so much shit in his after match interviews and who never takes responsibility says it all.

True to some extent but how much wriggle is there for individuals to do what you ask? If you're instructed to play in a particular way, even if you disagree, you get the impression that if you stick your neck out and try to take the game by the 'scruff of the neck' that may be your last game for a while.

There perhaps comes a point where players just become worn down by it all and just get on with it knowing that they can either leave in the summer or, declare that they have no wish to sign another contract with 12 or 18 months of their existing one expiring. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Because they want to protect Brendan. He's got the best PR in the league bar none. 

He lives rent free in your head doesn't he?

No one wants to 'protect' him....what a take.

34 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

When you listen to the radio/read about relegation in the papers, we're not even mentioned. It's like no one watches our games. 

If we were to go down, there’s going to be many many people, from our owner, parts of the fan base, fans of other clubs and the media who will have a massive shock….

• Like 1

I think we will finish comfortably above the relegation zone. The Arsenal match wasn't great but I take much more confidence from the Manchester United game than the result would suggest.

We'll have too much quality for the others down there.

18. Leeds / Forest

19. Southampton

20. Bournemouth

Guest Chocolate Teapot
5 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

If we were to go down, there’s going to be many many people, from our owner, parts of the fan base, fans of other clubs and the media who will have a massive shock….

Right....

14 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

We have 8 games against the bottom 10.

Our form against the bottom 10 has been pretty good.

6 wins, 1 Draw, and 3 losses, which is 19 points from 10 games @ 1.9 points per game. 

It is our form against the top 10 that has been dreadful.

I predict that it will be similar to last season. We'll pick up a number of points against such teams to both stay up and finish around mid table. Like last season, it will paper over the cracks and give a false reading of what's really going on ie year on year deterioration under Rodgers in real terms as opposed to points total. 

I certainly don't see players wanting to stay or sign new contracts. Even those with quite a bit of time left like Iheanacho, why would he or they want to stay? 

Rodgers will of course again take the plaudits of  having over achieved despite poor funding and a poor squad. Sadly, not only the media but many of our own supporters will believe him. 

Even when we dropped to the First Division it didn't deter us and we still looked forward to going down. Although season ticket holders, I think my son and I have only bothered to attend 3 matches this season as we just don't derive any pleasure from it anymore. Last season was deflating and dull and it has merely carried over. It's the first time in decades that I'm seriously thinking of packing it in this summer. I'm sure it won't matter to the club as our season tickets will no doubt get snapped up. In fairness, it's quite possible to get despondent with a vastly overhyped commercial game in general at the moment. We've also had quite a lot of enjoyment from watching teams like Melton, Quorn, Heather St John's and Gedling Miners over the last couple of years so probably our future lies there. In the current financial climate I can't see the point in throwing money at watching such unambitious offerings.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Right....

What does that mean? As has been mentioned, we are barely in the conversation more widely, it only seems to be between a section of our own fan base that there is any concern. 

So you think suddenly if we go down everyone is going to act like they knew it all along?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

I think we will finish comfortably above the relegation zone. The Arsenal match wasn't great but I take much more confidence from the Manchester United game than the result would suggest.

We'll have too much quality for the others down there.

18. Leeds / Forest

19. Southampton

20. Bournemouth

I agree that the Man Utd match was a lot more positive, if you base things on more than just what the score board says. At least we went there and had a go. My only real criticism is than when the officials start detailing us (the red card that wasn’t and the bookings given to Faes and Mendy), heads dropped rather than creating a siege mentality. But we approached the game with positivity and at least made them sweat it for a bit.

The Arsenal game…was just nothing. We did nothing. They barely did any more tbf but the approach to the game was disappointing regardless of opposition.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

He lives rent free in your head doesn't he?

No one wants to 'protect' him....what a take.

I wouldn't say its about protection of Brendan but more a protection of lazy punditry. There's an opinion about Brendan that has been decided on and 99% of pundits and journalist will follow it and leave any challenges to the opinion to the 'shock jocks'. They won't admit they are wrong as it will mean the gig is up and they might have to put in some actual effort rather than turning up and wheeling off cliche after cliche. For journalists they won't go against the grain in fear of losing access or position. 

If anything it just shows up the standards of punditry and sports journalism in this country, its in the gutter. 

• Like 2