Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Falling out of love with football.

It’s weird, we’ve fallen worse than this before. League One etc. the enthusiasm at the start of a new season was still there. It’s not this year and there is a genuine feeling of disappointment bordering onto anger with the way this club at levels has acted this summer. It’s not been good. 

• Like 4

Much prefer away games these days. Pre-match music enough to split your eardrums  drives me round the bend. Being around people joining in with goal music is so cringeworthy. Feel like a miserable old dinosaur at home matches these days.

• Like 3

Was having this exact conversation with the mates I go down with at the Man Utd game.

All of the things you’ve mentioned, plus the ridiculous over zealous security before games and uncompromising digital ticket policy.

The stupid loud pre-match music with light displays and flame burners (which kinda make a mockery of the ‘environmental’ reasons for digital ticketing system). Making a organic atmosphere impossible - and that god awful version of When you’re smiling. Terrible.

I’ve supported the club since I was 8. 42 now. Just think the games going in a direction I just don’t enjoy anymore. I’m sure others love it!

Its not about the football on show either, I’ve seen us play far far worse than our current form.

Not sure I’ll renew my ST next year. Probably will though as it’s only time I get to see the lads I go to footy with.

• Like 2

Things haven't been the same since the Atletico quarter final. That was when I started losing the passion. The FA Cup win stoked it back up again although it didn't feel right winning the trophy that we've craved all our lives as most (including me) couldn't be there. Just go through the motions now. 

The Premier League is bad for football competition. Bored with it. 

• Like 2

Not really, no.  There have been some decent moves to allow more physicality back into the game and to prevent time wasting this season.  Not stopping the game everytime someone feigns injury.  Always amusing to see someone go down like they've taken a shotgun to the leg only for the game to continue around them until they make a Jesus like recovery.  Games have flowed better and I'm enjoying it more as a result.  

I still think they need to do far more about simulation particularly in respect head injuries.  Rules about stopping games for suspected head injuries are to protect players and yet some have started to abuse it.  Perhaps retrospective punishment for those who simulate or repeat offenders (Gordon I'm looking at you).  

Do agree there seems to be some dodgy VAR and extra time stuff which is annoying.  But is it reality or just perception?  Would be interesting to see some stats on VAR decisions overall in respect big 6 and everyone else.  

Yes the money is obscene but that's societal and really nothing to do with football. If an old Etonian  banker can earn millions for gambling with others money then why not a footballer?  Sad reality like everything is that there are the rich and then there is everyone else.  Football is no different.    

If the money really gets to you there is always Leicester Nirvana or Hinckley or whoever is local.  I used to go when I lived in Leicester just for the craic.  Good burgers, cheap beer, 'interesting' local characters - terrible football.  On balance I'd rather watch high level sport but there are alternatives to big money footy.

Edited by Bordersfox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Col city fan

I guess it’s just another addiction. Like you, I squirm when I see what the players and managers are being paid. At a time when (literally) people will die this winter due to hypothermia.

And I particularly shudder when I see what the bang average players get paid these days. Players who would have been on 10 grand a week a few years ago, are now ‘earning’ (that’s a misnomer) 60/70 k every week. 
BUT I still watch lots of games. And this seasons Premiership has been hugely entertaining so far in respect of the goals scored. 
So I admit, I’m hypocritical when it comes to football. The Prem has become a behemoth. But I still watch the bloody thing.

It's all about the money, money, money. Its become more of a business than a sport where the paying fan has become less and less relevant. Where competition is decreasing and the 'big six'  owners want a closed shop where teams like Leicester have less chance of spoiling the party. The Premier League has sold its rights all over the world but has also sold its soul. Where teams like Man City have an entire wealthy country backing them and can spend to excess. Its obscene. Financial fair play where the big teams continually break or bend the rules to stay ahead. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, David Oldfields Gate said:

Football in general: Yes.

LCFC in particular: Not quite yet!

I resent the fact it's my favourite sport. LCFC is a huge thing in my life and I care a lot about Gillingham (my local team) but that's it. Only ever watch other matches if I'm completely bored.

Everything about football is shvte. Way too much of it on TV. I know as I get older, I'll be less bothered about it because other things take over although I guess sharing it with kids could mean it keeps its importance. 

The current state of the club doesn't exactly help the enthusiasm!

From the moment Alf Common became the first £1000 transfer football has been a highly commercial operation so let’s not get  the rose tinted glasses out too quickly. I suspect your feeling is more about the way you’re changing than the way football is changing.

We know Fofana never really cared about the city of Leicester or heritage of the club and why would he? However we also know it’s our club and regardless of its global brand of the premier league and the huge money involved we support it because it’s we live or did live.

• Like 2

Not at all, I do get fed up at times of the media overkill and the big 6 bias etc. I am

actually enjoying footy more now than ever as I feel the product is so good at the moment across all divisions. 

as for my beloved Leicester City, love this club more than ever, even after the recent results my passion for the club, owners and players is as strong as ever.

However with Brendan I feel a real disconnect very similar to how I felt about Pleat and Taylor, I never felt they had the clubs interests at heart it was always about them and self promotion and ego. It feels much the same way now, I support and love my club but struggle to support the manager. 

• Like 3