Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Falling out of love with football.

3 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Not at all, I do get fed up at times of the media overkill and the big 6 bias etc. I am

actually enjoying footy more now than ever as I feel the product is so good at the moment across all divisions. 

as for my beloved Leicester City, love this club more than ever, even after the recent results my passion for the club, owners and players is as strong as ever.

However with Brendan I feel a real disconnect very similar to how I felt about Pleat and Taylor, I never felt they had the clubs interests at heart it was always about them and self promotion and ego. It feels much the same way now, I support and love my club but struggle to support the manager. 

But don't you think we're just 'making up the numbers' in the PL?.....The elite/entitled big 6 are never ever going to allow what happened in 2016 to happen again! Basically, a club like ours is now just a feeder club for those teams... where's the joy in that?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Totally

Its been happening for years for me. Accelerated by the loss of my Dad in 2015. 

I used to be ‘all the games, every week’ Torquay and Yeovil away midweek etc.

Now? You’ll do well to get me down the KP at a weekend. 

A defeat used to ruin my week, but now? I honestly don’t care.

Why be so anti Rodgers then? Because I still love the club, the memories they’ve given me and I absolutely hate anyone publicly bad mouthing the owners who’ve given me those memories. 

I’d love for my love for it to come back (though Halifax wouldn’t like it 🤣) but I don’t think it ever will. For a club our size, in the last 10 years, we’ve completed football. I’ve no interest in being an ‘also ran’ in the PL. If we were to get relegated and win the Championship next season, it still wouldn’t be as fun as 2014 when we were all chasing that holy grail. 

That’s what happens to most fans.

Do you have kids?

No. Still my favourite sport, but being caught up by f1. Off to Sutton v Harrogate right now which should be fun, Brighton away tomorrow which is always good as lewes is one of the best pub towns in the country then Austria Vienna on Thursday. Results have never overly bothered me, it’s always good to go to matches, meet friends/family and do something. The start to this PL season (Leicester aside) has been quality. Leeds v Everton on Tuesday was a great watch 

1 minute ago, jerry said:

Having supported since 63 I agree totally with your sentiments. Game based on greed, Players with no loyalty or  affiliation with a club or City. Game does seem more honest in lower leagues with Fans genuinely supporting their side regardless of no real expectation other than feeling a part of the local community. Maybe Championship Football is not the disaster that fans dread.

Also a fan since 63. This sums up how I feel too. Took my grandson to a league two game recently as near our homes. Refreshing and friendly atmosphere. Of course I want Leicester to be in top division but watching Championship highlights the other night struck me how evenly matched most of the teams are 

• Like 1

I've been drifting away myself in recent years, especially so at the start of the covid era. The media fear machine was in full flow and people were genuinely concerned, businesses were being lost, people's income was down and the gulf in earnings was never more apparent. I think it was Jordan Henderson who led the group who "agreed to take a pay cut" but, forgive me if wrong, details of which were never really made transparent.

I look at the ridiculous transfer fees now and it turns me stomach. I find myself doing a lot more head shaking the older I get. Gordon being touted at 50 million? Yes we have inflation and the world's most expensive player is no longer Trevor Francis but when the majority of people WILL be struggling this winter and much beyond, I fail to see how a lot of clubs will be sustainable.

I've said for a long time that the Super league will be resurrected at some point. I'd recommend anyone to look into Football wiki leaks.. the whole scenario was in motion years prior. The big clubs know that something is coming..perhaps also the lesser clubs like ourselves who are trying to consolidate.  The collapse is imminent... But there's a subject for another day.

Greed has killed the game. Top 6 are very blatantly favoured in how things are run. Example is Fofana situation - what Chelsea did was tapping up in the open, using the media to their advantage then putting utterly embarrassing bids in. Yet nothing is done or said. SkySports are the pits as well, being used by the big clubs for this purpose. it’s killing the game and my love for it. 

• Like 3

Sadly, this is the side effect of us completing the greatest ever sporting triumph. There is simply nowhere to go but down.

Also, the twat six are definitely spoiling things.

I think as football fans we need to focus our anger on doing everything we can to destroy the twat six sexopoly. Whilst there’s not a great deal we can do, there are some things. Stop giving Sky your money for a start.

• Like 2

Just now, Saxondale said:

Sadly, this is the side effect of us completing the greatest ever sporting triumph. There is simply nowhere to go but down.

I think as football fans we need to focus our anger on doing everything we can to destroy the twat six sexopoly. Whilst there’s not a great deal we can do, there are some things. Stop giving Sky your money for a start.

Also, we need to be protesting and lobbying for league reform to level the financial playing field.

2 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

I'm cancelling Sky and BT Sports as soon as my contract is up!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saxondale said:

what the hell is a sexopoly

As I’ve said before the state of the game in general means I’ll bin my season ticket off in the near future. Just ain’t what it was. Pricing is going bonkers. Stadiums sanitised to kingdom come. There’s a thinly veiled form of economical apartheid being taken out on anyone who isn’t backed by a nation state or glorified mafia meaning we probably won’t ever properly compete again. I could go on but yeah.

I don't watch as many games as I used to. There was a time when I'd sit through every game that was live on TV and watch all the analysis etc.

Realised how much bullsh*t they all talk when we got promoted and they didn't know f*** all about us.

Nowadays it's just our games or some of the big ones

International football is a load of BS with the FA yes men

Even the excitement has been zapped from us with our turgid predictable football. Still dragging myself to the home games but I've got no appetite to go away at the moment.

Edited by TK95
  • Like 1

Yes, excellent post. I fell out of love with it a couple of years ago after not enjoying it for quite some time.

I would add; having a season in lockdown which defeats the entire purpose of the sport with no fans there, the Qatar World Cup being in winter, the Super League clubs not being relegated or at least deducted points whilst in the lower leagues that is happening to clubs for much lesser crimes, the demolition of beautiful unique old stadiums for aesthetically and atmospherically inferior monstrosities, managers players and pundits justifying diving despite the fact 6 game bans would immediately remove it from our game, and managers justifying dull football despite all the money in the game.

Edited by Kitchandro
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

Anyone else feeling the same? It's not because we are where we are either! This feeling has been sneaking up on me for the past few years.

Watching players being paid obscene amounts of money during a time when so many people are struggling to heat their homes/feed their kids.

Watching the corrupt ffp 'system' protect the elite 6 to the detriment of all the other PL teams.

Watching blatant, corrupt refereeing/VAR decisions always benefitting the 'top' sides.

Football as I knew and loved is vanishing before my eyes.

Perhaps I'd be more interested if Leicester were playing back in the championship or even league 1, away from what has become a crooked and boring PL.

Very much the same. I can't quite put a finger on what it's been - an accumulation of factors such as those you describe I presume. I'm half putting it down to just maturing as a person and that footballers/football just doesn't relate to me as much anymore. It also grinds my gears how often footballers get idolised. I think football under Rodgers has just fast forwarded it a bit - I haven't even watched a full 90 for over a year and a half - I know what I'm getting before kick-off. 

Edited by bfox