Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Falling out of love with football.

There is something not right about fans who pay money and who are / will be really struggling to pay bills walking past the players car park of super cars to only see pathetic displays! No issue with them earning well (even though there should be a wage cap as football is out of control ) but it rubs it in the fans face when the put in zero effort, or refuse to play etc.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, iancognito said:

Your hyperbole and exaggeration aren't helping your case.

If you look it's clearly not all old men whingeing, it's genuine complaints about disillusionment with the game and certainly not limited to our club. Big clubs haven't always dominated the game. In the Premier League era ourselves and Blackburn are standouts of smaller clubs that broke the cartel at the top. 2 clubs in 30 years. Go back through the decades - Everton, Leeds, Forest, Derby, Ipswich, Villa and others all got involved with the title race and European competitions. The dominance now is far worse and we know from the Super League shenanigans there's a level of organisation behind it too. Look around you at the next game, see how many people seem to be enjoying the booming music and pyrotechnics. We don't need it, we've never needed it, it's there to subdue people and dilute the genuine atmosphere from building. I've moaned about players names not being sung before kick off but I see the Union FS POV - there's no chance to do so, the music and silly announcements are turned up to 11. Football is supposed to be an escape, a place to meet up with mates and be entertained for 90 minutes but it's just a business product these days.

Perfectly put!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, iancognito said:

Your hyperbole and exaggeration aren't helping your case.

If you look it's clearly not all old men whingeing, it's genuine complaints about disillusionment with the game and certainly not limited to our club. Big clubs haven't always dominated the game. In the Premier League era ourselves and Blackburn are standouts of smaller clubs that broke the cartel at the top. 2 clubs in 30 years. Go back through the decades - Everton, Leeds, Forest, Derby, Ipswich, Villa and others all got involved with the title race and European competitions. The dominance now is far worse and we know from the Super League shenanigans there's a level of organisation behind it too. Look around you at the next game, see how many people seem to be enjoying the booming music and pyrotechnics. We don't need it, we've never needed it, it's there to subdue people and dilute the genuine atmosphere from building. I've moaned about players names not being sung before kick off but I see the Union FS POV - there's no chance to do so, the music and silly announcements are turned up to 11. Football is supposed to be an escape, a place to meet up with mates and be entertained for 90 minutes but it's just a business product these days.

Sometimes you have to meet hyperbole with hyperbole my friend.  Not that I was making a case, just expressing an opinion.

FFP is a joke.  I have said that before, it's designed to benefit nobody but the rich.  However, someone claimed a Leicester could never win the league again.  It's simply not true which is why I pointed out FFP would not have impacted that particular Leicester squad. 

And you have to go back to the 70s to get anything like what you suggest regarding teams outside the usual few clubs winning the league.  Blackburn also spent plenty for their era by the way.   It's not a recent phenomenon but people here are moaning about it as if it's a recent problem.  That's revisionism.  

When I'm back in Leicester still have a few beers, enjoy the game with my mates and shout a lot just as I did when I went to watch us under Little.  I'm not letting a few pyrotechnics ruin it personally.  And outside of Leicester I watch my local team here (non league, appalling standard, great craic, average beer).  If you're falling out of love with football is it really the football or is it you?  I have no idea.  

I mean people complained about the clackers (quite rightly imo) and they are a real throw back.  There are fantastic atmospheres all around the Premier League and some that are shite.  As has always been the case.  

We'll have to agree to disagree, different things are important to different people and whilst I'm very unhappy with LCFC right now I am more than happy with the football I watch generally.  That doesn't mean I don't think there are systemic issues with football but for the moment I still every much enjoy watching the game on the box and at the stadium. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bordersfox said:

This thread has inevitably descended into 'things were better in my day when we wore flat caps ate gravel, went down pit for 18 hours, watched real men play real football and then had a good old fight after the match and ten pints of bitter'.

The football we watch today in the Premier League is generally of a very high standard.   Pansy foreigners have improved the quality of our league immeasurably.   Simulation is an issue but we are seeing moves to reduce it.  Plenty of British players are terrible divers.  If they have been influenced in that by foreign players then what does that say about the good old British bulldog character?  Oh mummy he dived so I'll dive as well.  What nonsense.  

The big club domination has been ongoing for decades.  The idea it is somehow worse now doesn't hold water.  Our winning of the league was a freak.  Our squad value that season was estimated at around £54m and I'm sure our wages were pretty low overall so FFP etc are surely irrelevant to that discussion.   We have no idea if another freak season will see another smaller club, built on a small budget win the league in the future.  Unlikely but then so was 5000-1.  

Jesus Christ football is far from perfect but the revisionism, doom and gloom rubbish on here is laughable.  

Sorry , but I think you’re missing some good points made on here by fans who are, or are becoming , disillusioned and detached from the game and the club we all love.

Change for change sake is not always better.

Many of us don’t like to see cheating, by our own players or other teams’ players , whether  UK born or non UK. We don’t like to see it in other sports either. So that’s a good opinion to hold  isn’t it?

I’m an oldie, and supporting the city as a teenager was all I had - that’s not being melodramatic. It saddens me that like so many others, I’m falling out of love with it.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, old koppite said:

Sorry , but I think you’re missing some good points made on here by fans who are, or are becoming , disillusioned and detached from the game and the club we all love.

Change for change sake is not always better.

Many of us don’t like to see cheating, by our own players or other teams’ players , whether  UK born or non UK. We don’t like to see it in other sports either. So that’s a good opinion to hold  isn’t it?

I’m an oldie, and supporting the city as a teenager was all I had - that’s not being melodramatic. It saddens me that like so many others, I’m falling out of love with it.

I've been watching since the late 80s and was a season ticket holder from 89 to 1999 when I moved away from home.  So I'm not exactly a youngster. 

Where did I say diving was good?

My point is the idea football was somehow pure or better all those years ago is simply not true.  It's just a matter of perspective.  I enjoy it as much now as then.  I also enjoy non league football locally and watching my wife's team Charlton.  There's plenty to love about football at all levels if you want to find it.  

Football isn't all about the Premier League.

Edited by Bordersfox
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

I've been watching since the late 80s and was a season ticket holder from 89 to 1999 when I moved away from home.  So I'm not exactly a youngster. 

Where did I say diving was good?

My point is the idea football was somehow pure or better all those years ago is simply not true.  It's just a matter of perspective.  I enjoy it as much now as then.  I also enjoy non league football locally and watching my wife's team Charlton.  There's plenty to love about football at all levels if you want to find it.  

Football isn't all about the Premier League.

I’m not sure what your conclusion about diving is, having re read the second paragraph of your first post to be honest! Are you saying it’s nonsense that “ he dives so I’ll dive”? If you are, I completely agree. Or are you saying that there is a perceived hypocrisy of some of us that we’ll condone British divers, but that goes against the old British bulldog ( and fairness) spirit? If you are, then that’s an unfair rant against some of the posters. 

You’re right, there is still plenty to love about football ( children playing it, keeping fit, grass roots level, fellowship ) but the pro level stinks, coverage is past saturation level and I don’t find many premier league games as exciting as I used to - numerous reasons and probably one I’m getting too old. 
Just look at Thursday’s game- it was so boring from both teams. Richest league in the world, some of the supposedly most talented players, worldwide tv coverage, the great Man U with the tradition of exciting attacking football, but little excitement, no risk taking, mostly flat atmosphere. As I avoiding nodding off, I was just hoping for a Beckham type to come on and take the game by the scruff of the neck. 
I’m not bothered about watching the other premier league games anymore, but still watch every city game I can, and last few days have been looking out for anything about Brendan’s latest ramblings or transfers for us.

I’m glad your enjoying your football, and it’s great you’re supporting lower level as well- some of us on here are not silly old buggers moaning for the sake of it- just disappointed that our passion is being drained away.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, old koppite said:

I’m not sure what your conclusion about diving is, having re read the second paragraph of your first post to be honest! Are you saying it’s nonsense that “ he dives so I’ll dive”? If you are, I completely agree. Or are you saying that there is a perceived hypocrisy of some of us that we’ll condone British divers, but that goes against the old British bulldog ( and fairness) spirit? If you are, then that’s an unfair rant against some of the posters. 

You’re right, there is still plenty to love about football ( children playing it, keeping fit, grass roots level, fellowship ) but the pro level stinks, coverage is past saturation level and I don’t find many premier league games as exciting as I used to - numerous reasons and probably one I’m getting too old. 
Just look at Thursday’s game- it was so boring from both teams. Richest league in the world, some of the supposedly most talented players, worldwide tv coverage, the great Man U with the tradition of exciting attacking football, but little excitement, no risk taking, mostly flat atmosphere. As I avoiding nodding off, I was just hoping for a Beckham type to come on and take the game by the scruff of the neck. 
I’m not bothered about watching the other premier league games anymore, but still watch every city game I can, and last few days have been looking out for anything about Brendan’s latest ramblings or transfers for us.

I’m glad your enjoying your football, and it’s great you’re supporting lower level as well- some of us on here are not silly old buggers moaning for the sake of it- just disappointed that our passion is being drained away.

Fair enough mate.  I wasn't meaning to tar all with the same brush.  But it did seem a bit of a moaners charter of a thread and my God there's a lot of negativity around here at the moment generally. 

The diving thing was a response to a post that those bloomin poncy foreigners have come over here ruining our league with their diving around.  I was making the point that foreigners have improved the quality of the league a lot, let's face it we don't win the league without those pesky foreigners Mahrez, Kante et al.   And that you can't have it both ways.  That British players dive is on them, it's not on players from abroad.  I abhor simulation and it's definitely something I think these last two seasons has improved, referees still need to do more.  

Again perspective I guess.  I just don't find the razamataz of modern football an issue.  It's silly and irrelevant but I'm not letting it ruin my fun.  And I still watch most Premier League games broadcast and yeah, some are utter crap, but I find plenty that are really intense and passionate.  

I'm not a happy clapper fan either, I'm a ranter and raver when I watch City.  But for me it's a release and a chance to let off some steam.  I do agree with the chap who said that if City were flying high in the league this thread would not exist. 

I and he may be wrong 👍

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Fair enough mate.  I wasn't meaning to tar all with the same brush.  But it did seem a bit of a moaners charter of a thread and my God there's a lot of negativity around here at the moment generally. 

The diving thing was a response to a post that those bloomin poncy foreigners have come over here ruining our league with their diving around.  I was making the point that foreigners have improved the quality of the league a lot, let's face it we don't win the league without those pesky foreigners Mahrez, Kante et al.   And that you can't have it both ways.  That British players dive is on them, it's not on players from abroad.  I abhor simulation and it's definitely something I think these last two seasons has improved, referees still need to do more.  

Again perspective I guess.  I just don't find the razamataz of modern football an issue.  It's silly and irrelevant but I'm not letting it ruin my fun.  And I still watch most Premier League games broadcast and yeah, some are utter crap, but I find plenty that are really intense and passionate.  

I'm not a happy clapper fan either, I'm a ranter and raver when I watch City.  But for me it's a release and a chance to let off some steam.  I do agree with the chap who said that if City were flying high in the league this thread would not exist. 

I and he may be wrong 👍

I’m in my early thirties and do not wear a flat cap :ph34r: 

Edited by SheppyFox

My kids are in their twenties, I’ve told them

about midweek away trips to Newcastle and Plymouth in the eighties and nineties and the long journey home after another defeat with no prospect of ever hitting the big time. 
They are more realistic than some of their friends because I keep telling them

what it used to be like and the recent successes are all very new in the history of our club and everything is cyclical. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, marcymarc666 said:

I have to say it was so refreshing watching the Women in the Euros , no diving, no play acting ,it drives me nuts and it's ruining football. Throw in the ludicrous amounts of money being thrown around for bang on average players, the game has seriously gone downhill in the last twenty years.

Give it time and money; believe me, it will go exactly the same way as men's football. Money corrupts everything.

Edited by PAPA LAZAROU
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Yeah, I had months off and to be honest it was nice, not to say coming back to FT hasn’t been enjoyable as it’s great to see familiar names still on here in this forum of opinion, but honestly the direction of football into this elite mega money mess, and the last 18 months of Leicester City seemingly losing its identity has just been so draining, it’s really put me off football. 

I just feel like football has been such a big part of me growing up and now I feel like there’s so many things more important that deserve my time. If the players can’t be bothered to make an effort why should I? 

Don’t give up Lee, I’ve enjoyed your posts for the last few years. 

What is interesting is that me and my teenage boys have been watching some old season reviews videos from the 90s on YouTube and in doing so I found myself longing for those times. 

Why is it that I would love to be able to take them back to see those Little and O'Neil sides and experience that match day experience and players? I am certain they would prefer it. I know I would.

Edited by Suffolk exile
  • Like 3

I completely agree with all the valid opinions on this thread but my point is would we even be having this conversation if we were not bottom of the table?

With all the many negatives of the modern game I’ve just learnt to take it all with a pinch of salt and my enthusiasm towards watching city has dwindled since the emotional highs of our league winning season but now I feel little emotion and just focus on enjoying my day out with my 8 year old son and the unique escapism from the real world.

I’ve come to realise that as I get older friends, family members, colleagues will leave my life, the club will change mangers, players owners etc. Some will be good some bad. But a football club is one of the very few things in life you can depend on to stay in your life forever so I guess I’ll just keep on renewing my season ticket.

Edited by josh_baskin
  • Like 2