Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Falling out of love with football.

I’m not sure if it’s football or the City. I used to be a season ticket holder for over 25 years and have seen it all with City. But over the last 18 months under Rogers, we have become very negative! When I played we tried to attack as quickly as possible to catch them on the break, but now we pass the ball sideways and backwards until the opposition have regained their shape and wonder why we don’t penetrate their defence.

before you ask I didn’t renew my season tick this year and will not go back down to the King Power again until Rogers is gone!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigboy said:

I’m not sure if it’s football or the City. I used to be a season ticket holder for over 25 years and have seen it all with City. But over the last 18 months under Rogers, we have become very negative! When I played we tried to attack as quickly as possible to catch them on the break, but now we pass the ball sideways and backwards until the opposition have regained their shape and wonder why we don’t penetrate their defence.

before you ask I didn’t renew my season tick this year and will not go back down to the King Power again until Rogers is gone!!!!

Strange thing is a lot of people with STs were saying this about Puel in his time there as regards refusing to go back until he was ousted, as happened! History repeating with his successor now I guess!

Hit me today watching Brighton who were superb with a very impressive coach, great set-up and top recruitment. They'll never have the chance to hit the heights they could because of the imbalance of the playing field. Graham Potter couldn't lead Brighton to really great things as his best players will be taken. They can have a wonderful season yet if certain clubs get their act together it will shove them out.

In the past the likes of Brian Clough and Bobby Robson didn't need to manage elite clubs to do what they needed to- there was space to do it. Top class coaching and recruitment could be properly rewarded. The only way Potter can achieve regular European football and winning trophies is going to be at a certain number of clubs, and even then he might not be attractive enough.

Looking at our financial information, the cost of attempting to keep up is huge. With regulations coming in I think you'll see clubs go one of two ways- either an all-in gamble to reach the top or playing very safe because of the repercussions of missing, therefore leaving the richest to pull further clear. 

• Like 2

Guest Col city fan
2 minutes ago, Corky said:

Hit me today watching Brighton who were superb with a very impressive coach, great set-up and top recruitment. They'll never have the chance to hit the heights they could because of the imbalance of the playing field. Graham Potter couldn't lead Brighton to really great things as his best players will be taken. They can have a wonderful season yet if certain clubs get their act together it will shove them out.

In the past the likes of Brian Clough and Bobby Robson didn't need to manage elite clubs to do what they needed to- there was space to do it. Top class coaching and recruitment could be properly rewarded. The only way Potter can achieve regular European football and winning trophies is going to be at a certain number of clubs, and even then he might not be attractive enough.

Looking at our financial information, the cost of attempting to keep up is huge. With regulations coming in I think you'll see clubs go one of two ways- either an all-in gamble to reach the top or playing very safe because of the repercussions of missing, therefore leaving the richest to pull further clear. 

Great post 👍

You see, I seem to have gone then other way, I moved away in 2013 and, tragically, gave up my ST in the 15/16 season 💀

After the glory of that season, and with work taking over a bit I started to drift away from football, it was only doing a bit of work at Wembley statium during Euro 2020, and being in a live crowd again that bought the love back.

I will admit that the stop/start nature of Premier League football is incredibly frustrating: players feigning injuries, kicking balls away, VAR etc… I’m hearing segments on Talksport where they are measuring the amount of open play in games at at low as 45min it’s in some cases. It’s that that puts me off top flight football.

But then I see non-league, the women’s game - even sunday league in the park and I realise it’s not the game that’s getting harder to watch, but just the top end of it.

Another thing I’ve noticed is that the Sky editors seem more intent to show us the close up view of players making a run, so you can’t see the teams shape, or a close up of the manager standing there with his arms folded, or a close up of some people in the crowd (football fans are ugly by the way). The seem to want to show us anything but a view from the main camera which provides a view similar to what you would have in the stadium - and all that makes it hard to watch on tv too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, James. said:

Get down to your local team. I watch 8th tier football reasonably regularly. You can have a pint while watching the game and it's not full of cvnts.

I went to watch Barwell v Bromsgrove last season when City weren't playing. It was a cracking game, and I really enjoyed it, one of my biggest highlights of watching any game last season. I would highly reccomend going to watch grass roots football when you get the chance. Football absolutely doesn't end with the Premier league. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Post-Rodgers has been great for re-establishing some connection with the club again. I think the Enzo excitement has definitely helped. 

In terms of the sport in general I agree it’s incredibly stale. The Premier league is awful (even when we were part of it), but non-league is thriving and further afield, it’s a good opportunity to see some teams abroad where fan culture is a lot more authentic. 

• Like 1

I feel the spark for the game again. It feels a new injection of belief. Players look fitter, more involved, more motivated and we've made some good signings and that seems to be transferring to the stands. Winning makes it easier of course, but even after the Hull game I had a feeling we could turn it around, where last few season I didn't hold that belief. 

Maybe this is what we all needed. An expensive way to do it though 😄

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Post-Rodgers has been great for re-establishing some connection with the club again. I think the Enzo excitement has definitely helped. 

In terms of the sport in general I agree it’s incredibly stale. The Premier league is awful (even when we were part of it), but non-league is thriving and further afield, it’s a good opportunity to see some teams abroad where fan culture is a lot more authentic. 

Absolutely loving the PL at the moment, the start has been brilliant imo. Spurs and villa 1-0 down in the 98th and 87th min respectively and both win. Brighton going to OT and destroying Man U. Accumulators and soccer six blown apart in a matter of minutes. And that’s just a few of the 3pm matches from one weekend. It’s far from boring or awful 

Edited by grobyfox1990
Typo
  • Sad 1

Although I do empathise with the feeling. It’s England’s most successful period in my life and I couldn’t give a crap. I was at the semi final in 2021 and part of me wanted Kasper to save Kane’s pen. A function of going to Amsterdam to watch England and seeing the amount of absolute driptray white van man weirdos that support England, and ‘falling out of love with football’ too 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Although I do empathise with the feeling. It’s England’s most successful period in my life and I couldn’t give a crap. I was at the semi final in 2021 and part of me wanted Kasper to save Kane’s pen. A function of going to Amsterdam to watch England and seeing the amount of absolute driptray white van man weirdos that support England, and ‘falling out of love with football’ too 

England football fans..

I bet 99.99999% voted for Brexit!😂😂

• Haha 1

Seeing the absolute moral bankruptcy of it all is grating.

Actually - the total acceptance of it is grating. Seeing the Newcastle fans absolutely abandon any premise of caring about sportswashing at the merest glimmer of the good times just underlines why horrendous human rights abusers will continue to shine their conscience.

I'm sure at some point it was a game with a shred of decency and expectation of owner suitability.

1 hour ago, Rain King said:

I've realised over the last few years I've never had a love of watching football. Just a love of watching Leicester.

If Leicester didn't exist then I wouldn't watch.

Barely, if at all, watch any other match that's on tv, find it extremely dull.

Same as general chit-chat about football, few people at work try to talk to me about it and I find it incredibly boring and try to avoid it where possible. 

Realise there is some irony in discussing this on a football forum.

Pretty much with you on this. Also fantasy football. Interests me not one little bit

• Like 1