Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Falling out of love with football.

1 hour ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Watching the PL from the outside (albeit sparingly this season), it’s an absolute mess. VAR is killing it and the stupid lines they draw all over dodgy still images and questionable frame rates.

Leicester getting back up would give me more of an interest in it again, and I would probably watch Match of the Day more than I am doing at the moment, but it’s so far gone it’s beyond repair now.

I’ve said it a few times, in the next 20 years I can see supporters in England en masse flocking to non-league. Top tier stadiums will be left full of corporate hospitality and day tripper tourists from the US and Asia etc. Club’s will charge (even more of) a premium for matchday prices knowing their crowd is a conveyor belt of once in a blue moon attendees and our non-league will start to pull several thousand strong attendances.

If i could get the level of TV coverage for the championship, that i can for the Prem League... id be perfectly happy to reguarly compete in it.

The removal of VAR alone has improved my enjoyment... the more competetive games and equal distribution of talent is much better

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

Haven't paid attention to the Prem this season. Watch us on TV when it's available out of habit - but I'm loving going along to non-league games. This has reinvigorated my love of the game.

Totally agree with you about non-league games. I've been going to Loughborough Dynamo for a while, and it's easier to develop a genuine connection with clubs like that. Though I've followed Leicester for over 45 years, I can no longer be arsed with sky-high prices, memberships, mobile tickets, etc, and the general sense of being taken for granted.

I have stopped watching premier league football, it’s starting to look more and more rigged, almost a pantomime type rigging, it seems it exists to create income rather than sporting moments

VAR is horrible it’s ruined the spontaneous nature of the game it’s created a messy secondary sport within the game

I dont want to go back up ! Can we win and tell the Football league we want to stay put 😂😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Being at the cricket on Saturday made me realise just how much more I felt part of a club that truly represents the community who come out to support it - and how much the relationship with the fans actually meant to the players too.

I don't think footballers themselves are any different in nature, but most just have that instinct bred out of them by corporate "tweet something like..." drones behind the scenes.

LCFC definitely haven't been arsed about retaining my custom for a number of years, whereas LCCC definitely are. Food for thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Being at the cricket on Saturday made me realise just how much more I felt part of a club that truly represents the community who come out to support it - and how much the relationship with the fans actually meant to the players too.

I don't think footballers themselves are any different in nature, but most just have that instinct bred out of them by corporate "tweet something like..." drones behind the scenes.

LCFC definitely haven't been arsed about retaining my custom for a number of years, whereas LCCC definitely are. Food for thought.

The club has been incredibly protective over season ticket prices think that needs highlighting, and have to say Saturdays cricket was a final, which we won, and a far cry from a damp May morning with five men and a dog watching……

2 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

The club has been incredibly protective over season ticket prices think that needs highlighting, and have to say Saturdays cricket was a final, which we won, and a far cry from a damp May morning with five men and a dog watching……

Well quite, but the point I'm making is that there feels like a genuine connection and a desire from the club to engage and attract the local community. Like you allude to, that's not always successful. Although often that's due to poor scheduling which is beyond their control.

I'll just literally watch us when we are on TV, ie tonight.. and tune in to radio leicester when it's not on the box, but other than that I don't watch any non leicester games anymore... its lost its way. 

Standard of footballs dropped, can't make a challenge, VAR needs binning. The premier league has Luton, Sheffield United, Burnley, Palace, Fulham, Bournemouth etc all crap, ain't worth my time 

4 minutes ago, Simonb said:

I'll just literally watch us when we are on TV, ie tonight.. and tune in to radio leicester when it's not on the box, but other than that I don't watch any non leicester games anymore... its lost its way. 

Standard of footballs dropped, can't make a challenge, VAR needs binning. The premier league has Luton, Sheffield United, Burnley, Palace, Fulham, Bournemouth etc all crap, ain't worth my time 

We lost to Palace,Fulham and Bournemouth last season….just sayin’

1 hour ago, LinekersLugs said:

I have stopped watching premier league football, it’s starting to look more and more rigged, almost a pantomime type rigging, it seems it exists to create income rather than sporting moments

VAR is horrible it’s ruined the spontaneous nature of the game it’s created a messy secondary sport within the game

I dont want to go back up ! Can we win and tell the Football league we want to stay put 😂😂

I thought I was the only one who felt like this. I agree with every word you've said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LinekersLugs said:

I thought this the last time we were promoted ( obviously i didn't know what was about to happen ). Just being the reigning champions , especially with all the midlands sides in the league at that time would have been awesome. 

7 hours ago, Zorrovolpe said:

Totally agree with you about non-league games. I've been going to Loughborough Dynamo for a while, and it's easier to develop a genuine connection with clubs like that. Though I've followed Leicester for over 45 years, I can no longer be arsed with sky-high prices, memberships, mobile tickets, etc, and the general sense of being taken for granted.

Absolutely this. 

…and the three kits a season, gash beer you can’t drink in your seat, the clown show running the club and their absence of communication…

Non-league rules \m/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Simonb said:

Isn't part of the appeal of the league system that any team can get promoted? 

Dangerous rhetoric like this is how that super league bollox nearly came about.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Watching the PL from the outside (albeit sparingly this season), it’s an absolute mess. VAR is killing it and the stupid lines they draw all over dodgy still images and questionable frame rates.

Leicester getting back up would give me more of an interest in it again, and I would probably watch Match of the Day more than I am doing at the moment, but it’s so far gone it’s beyond repair now.

I’ve said it a few times, in the next 20 years I can see supporters in England en masse flocking to non-league. Top tier stadiums will be left full of corporate hospitality and day tripper tourists from the US and Asia etc. Club’s will charge (even more of) a premium for matchday prices knowing their crowd is a conveyor belt of once in a blue moon attendees and our non-league will start to pull several thousand strong attendances.

I don't see that happening. You're assuming that because there's all of us who've seen the lowest point in our history and then the highest, so we actually get what football is and means. And there's a million more like us, where for some, just making it to League 1 will bring them joy that a 'big 6' fan could never understand.

Unfortunately, the vast majority are so entrenched in the PL culture and big club love in, they think that is what football is all about. That sect will just continue to grow no matter the financial obstacles. 20 years, there will be a super League of some sorts. Football has been dying a slow death and the Newcastle takeover/Saudi stuff was the final nail in the coffin for it in this country. I resent that it's my favourite sport but it's long been a case that outside of Leicester (and Gillingham as that's where I'm from and had a season ticket in the past) I could not care less about any other match. Everything about it is poisoned and I'd rather see other sports get the attention they deserve. Going to non-league is great but it's also just feeding that cycle again as it becomes all about success to earn more money, to then have more success and stability etc.

Depressing.

We have had some great seasons in the last ten years but it seems since we pulled off the impossible in 2015/16 the football hierarchy have been slowing putting into place measures to make sure that it will never be repeated by a club of our stature. FFP, VAR, Restructuring of European Competitions all designed to keep us in our place.

VAR is an absolute farce, the same sub standard officials sat in a booth making the same sub standard decisions to back up their mate on the pitch and putting lines in to make decisions based on millimeters and milliseconds of a ball being played.

The mismanagement at this club over the last 18 months has left me pretty much hollow. For 40 years all I ever wanted was to have stability in the top division and they just casually threw that away. Nothing against the current manager or playing staff, they have my support and backing, but I feel more removed from this club than I ever have. I very rarely visit the OS or watch anything they put out on social media.

I still love football and I always will.  I go to watch Coalville and Burton occasionally as  a neutral but I very rarely watch the PL, us aside.

As awful a game as Sheffield Wednesday v Middlesbrough was last night I preferred that to any of the CL games that were being shown.

I've always been more of a Leicester fan than a football fan and I don't see it changing even when there is stuff going on at the club I don't like.  I've not watched any PL games this season and barely watched any non-PL games for the previous decade.  I'll follow all the Leicester games on TV/Radio this season and get to as many home games as I can but the difference is now it doesn't consume my life like it used to.  Just getting old I suppose.

I get my real football fix at weekends from grassroots football watching the game being played solely for the fun of it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

No. I love football and always will.

People always come out with this "disillusioned" stuff but still continue to watch it.

As a Leicester supporter, I have no interest in the Premier league, oddly enough as we are not in it...I believe the feeling you have 95% of the time your team scores, whether its Tranmere, Rotherham or Chelsea is exactly the same regardless of competition, league, opposition.....a goal for your team is just that....

I accept the Championship is easier on the eye....we are a better team than most, we are winning more than most.....always going to be more enjoyable than losing every week.....

• Like 1

I had mixed feelings on VAR when it was introduced. It is only now in its absence I have realised quite how cancerous to the game it has been. And it's deeply relevant to this shared feeling of discontent people are discussing.

It's a huge step away from the spectacle and enjoyment of the sport - and a step towards the black and white, corporate bottom line approach. I mean, who is it for really? Certainly not the match-going fans. It's for the suited bigwigs and their corporate sponsors wanting surety on their investments. The insane money in the game has brought about a sort of high stakes narrative where any sort of perceived failure or injustice cannot be countenanced.

The lower down the leagues you go, the more connected things feel with, well, the actual game of football going on in front of you. Not to mention the sense of community that is often fostered in those environments.

It's better in this league, and that isn't just because we're winning. Let the big six **** off and have their pantomime football league and hopefully we can see a return to the values that built this game into what it is today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Uncle Monty said:

Isn't part of the appeal of the league system that any team can get promoted? 

Dangerous rhetoric like this is how that super league bollox nearly came about.

True.. and ironically I was delighted with Luton getting their shot at the big time.

I just feel like the quality of football as a whole has dropped off massively In the premier league, but it's more than likely I've just lost interest as we aren't in it 

I definitely feel as though something has changed this season, in terms of the love of it. Much more enjoyable being in the Championship without VAR - its refreshing to see a goal, quick look at lino/ref and to know nothing will change.

Watched Forest the other night, and their goal (in fairness) was a corker. Then celebrations dampened by a VAR check before confirming.

I miss the Prem but equally i don't, a bit of weird one.