Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfc043

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I think most fans have that perspective. I think most fans look at where we are. The level of decline which is way beyond one should expect and as a result would expect the board to have in place necessary contingencies to deal with any fall out. This is a fanbase which has also been expected to stomach no new signings (well apart from one as a result of a £75m sale at £15m). Its generally an understanding fanbase. The errors have been that significant at all levels that criticism is going to be slightly ramped up. 

I think whether he goes or not after Forest the damage has been done. The club will have to stomach the impact of relegation this year. Its how we rebuild from there. Standards have dropped that severely. 

Either Rodgers is the problem or he isn't. Everyone seems to suggest we are performing well below where we should be and everything points to that being the case, so I'm not sure why we shouldn't think another manager could scrape enough points together to stay up. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Rodgers has now surpassed both Ranieri and Puel in consecutive defeats not to mention being rooted at the bottom of the table. The only thing that might be mitigating Rodgers over the other too which is misplaced and misguided is that we are only 7 games in to the season and firmly bottom and not in or around the relegation zone in the 2nd half of the season.

I don't know how or why he is being afforded more leniency and patience than the others. Yes he has achieved here but that's over a year ago now and we have been steadily declining and now in free fall. Maybe the difference between Ranieri and Rodgers is the disconnect between the players and the manager under Ranieri seemed more severe than with Rodgers, which is pretty staggering given what Rodgers has said about them and the very little we heard in that regard publicly from Ranieri.

Puel had zero credit in the bank and Ranieri was given until the end of Feb / March was it, despite being appalling with a title winning team. I would have had him gone by now, but I could understand why Forest would be the watershed game. My thoughts were perhaps that was Villa, but it getting postponed pushed that onto the next "you have to win this one" game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Either Rodgers is the problem or he isn't. Everyone seems to suggest we are performing well below where we should be and everything points to that being the case, so I'm not sure why we shouldn't think another manager could scrape enough points together to stay up. 

It isn't certain, but it is the only thing that might reverse our downward slide. Maybe (like Burnley) get relegated any way, but a certainty with Rodgers as manager.

43 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Rodgers is very much part of the problem but he isn’t THE problem. Rodgers is disheartened because he doesn’t agree with his leadership - that doesn’t mean he is the worst guy in the world. The direction has changed and I don’t know if I agree with it, either. It be interesting to know if the club sat down with him at the start and asked if he was willing to proceed on the new approach - unlikely I know as they were putting their eggs in one basket in the hope they’d sell some players.  

The club is very much a mess. That includes the leadership. The idea that we go from a mess of a team to one who musters enough wins to stay up is optimistic. Forest and Bournemouth will expect the same. Its likely the new man won’t even get help in January.

The club have happily started the season with the least talented keeper in the league - as an example of the leadership flaws.

Like I said, not finishing bottom and rebuilding next season as a championship side is our next aim. I think anything above that is highly optimistic. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sishades said:

Thats the spirit. 

I know how it sounds but I have this feeling before - I have seen us perform badly and go down without a whimper. 

I tell you what, if we even show up against Forest, I will be shocked - I see us completely collapse against them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Rodgers is very much part of the problem but he isn’t THE problem. Rodgers is disheartened because he doesn’t agree with his leadership - that doesn’t mean he is the worst guy in the world. The direction has changed and I don’t know if I agree with it, either. It be interesting to know if the club sat down with him at the start and asked if he was willing to proceed on the new approach - unlikely I know as they were putting their eggs in one basket in the hope they’d sell some players.  

The club is very much a mess. That includes the leadership. The idea that we go from a mess of a team to one who musters enough wins to stay up is optimistic. Forest and Bournemouth will expect the same. Its likely the new man won’t even get help in January.

The club have happily started the season with the least talented keeper in the league - as an example of the leadership flaws.

Like I said, not finishing bottom and rebuilding next season as a championship side is our next aim. I think anything above that is highly optimistic. 

Agree on a lot of what you've said, and Rodgers had been given a pretty shocking choice of using a number 2 bench warmer, or a so far Championship challenged goalkeeper who we do actually know will perform at a better level than Ward. It's not ideal, I'd go as far as to say it's the worst thing we've done as a club in a long time. Not sacking Rodgers pales in comparison to having these Goalkeepers as our options with the money we've made and our cup and European runs. It's still shocking we didn't identify and persue a replacement the moment Kasper showed signs of leaving last year.

We are a mess partly because of this. Giving the Injury prone Ricardo is part of the problem the same thing we did weirdly with Matty James... But the defensive unit (GK - Defence - DM) have regressed significantly on the pitch. Sure, Rodgers system and tactics are probably setting us up to fail,  but (and hear me out in my fantasy) if we had Ederson, Cancelo, Laporte, Diaz, Walker, Rodri.... And played the same way, we could be calling Rodgers a god and giving him a 10 year deal on 15m a year probably. Football is that fickle.

Standing still is going to be a massive regret on the ownership if we were to go down. I don't think we will, but if we do they have a hell of a lot to answer for as well as Rodgers.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I know how it sounds but I have this feeling before - I have seen us perform badly and go down without a whimper. 

I tell you what, if we even show up against Forest, I will be shocked - I see us completely collapse against them. 

That's the horrible thing. When it's gone it's gone - this team has no fight in them to play for Brendan and any adversity at all (which you tend to get in most games) will be met by a complete and utter collapse. 

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Puel had zero credit in the bank and Ranieri was given until the end of Feb / March was it, despite being appalling with a title winning team. I would have had him gone by now, but I could understand why Forest would be the watershed game. My thoughts were perhaps that was Villa, but it getting postponed pushed that onto the next "you have to win this one" game. 

Yeah looking back it's actually incredible how much time we give I'd argue this is the 3rd time they have got this wrong, always felt he qould survive to the F***t game whatever. But he should have gone sooner. I think villa being postponed definitely played a part. There's no way he has the ability or even the will to turn this round.

Claudio should have gone in Nov/Dec sacking him after a narrow defeat in the CL seemed odd. 

And Claude should have gone after that result at palace regardless of what had gone on off the pitch around the club. That result was embarrassing.

If we some how fluke a win in the next couple it still gives me know faith that he is the man to turn it round, but I agree with your above post, there's absolutely no reason a new man can't come in and lift confidence, make us a little more difficult to beat and keep us up.

Relegation doesn't even bare thinking about in the context of our current financial plight. 

We could disappear for another decade if we aren't careful, L1 was fun, the championship can be a laugh, but I'd rather not head back there. I prefer Denmark, Portugal, Spain etc lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

Sacking him is going to cost a huge amount of money, and so is getting relegated. It's likely to be HIS money that has to fund either scenario. We aren't talking a small amount of money either way. They will always take their time to make a decision more so than fans like yourself. When Puel and Ranieri went, it was a long time after all the fans had wanted them gone. It's very easy to sit there making decisions when it's not your money, you aren't the ones having to replace loads of staff etc. 

I mean the two are not even comparable, 5-30mill to sack depending on who you believe, 100mil plus for relegation.

I stand by what I said in the Rodgers thread, that if a owner finds himself unable to make a decision to sack a manager then I question if they should be the owner of a football club as no owner should ever find themselves in that position, now because Top has stayed silent I dont know whats going on of course.  But he needs to act in a way in the position he holds.  He dished out the contract, he is liable for it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

You're completely ignoring the fact he's never done an in person interview in the UK.

Dictated programme notes and a few remarks at the opening of a school isn't exactly communication.

I remember he did one for east midlands news when he was bragging about giving money to Sven.  He had no problem doing one then when things were rosy.

2 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

.. that is all down to Rodgers!!!

Iversen is not going to get a look in, Kasper was very much ridiculed by not getting the run of games to 150, taking him out for one game and putting Ward in was Rodgers proving who is boss. When Rodgers makes up his mind he doesn't change, even if it does not benefit the team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Corky said:

First time I'm really questioning the owners and whether we need a fresh face running the club. This whole episode isn't pleasant and doesn't bode well for the future. Not taking away anything they've done before but like the manager you can't live off one or two things forever.

Club will be sold soon.

I think its up for sale behind the scenes 

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. that is all down to Rodgers!!!

Iversen is not going to get a look in, Kasper was very much ridiculed by not getting the run of games to 150, taking him out for one game and putting Ward in was Rodgers proving who is boss. When Rodgers makes up his mind he doesn't change, even if it does not benefit the team.

I’ve got no doubt that idiot number 1 is persisting with Ward. However, idiot number 2 is involved somewhere too. The decision to cut corners never ends well for any business. 

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

If he's on £10m a year and his staff are on top of that, the total cost could be substantially more than that. 

Isn't there some kind of formula used? Don't think he'd get 10m per year left, don't think it works like that? Also, I read somewhere that the 10m isn't his flat rate, it was supposedly the maximum which would be made up with target achievement bonuses (how reliable any of these quoted figures are is debateable) It's still a lot less than the potential consequence of 120-50m relegation and half the team wanting to leave. In fairness, very nieve to have reviewed the original contract. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

I mean the two are not even comparable, 5-30mill to sack depending on who you believe, 100mil plus for relegation.

I stand by what I said in the Rodgers thread, that if a owner finds himself unable to make a decision to sack a manager then I question if they should be the owner of a football club as no owner should ever find themselves in that position, now because Top has stayed silent I dont know whats going on of course.  But he needs to act in a way in the position he holds.  He dished out the contract, he is liable for it.

They are comparable because he has to pay for it either way. And he obviously believes at this moment the latter is still a long long way off and could be course corrected still considering the amount of time left. 

Who says he’s unable to make a decision to sack a manger, he just doesn’t agree with you on when that moment will be. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Brightons chief exec has been on talksport a lot.

Parish doesn't shy away from it.

Nor does the forest chief exec.

Most other clubs have some form of voice other than the manager.

Not just the owner that can speak but its pretty silly that Brendan is the only person who's speaking publicly when all the decisions are made elsewhere.

Probably because they’d have to lie if they were asked a direct question and they may not be v good liars!

in any case, we just don’t speak (strategically) to the media - never have as far as I can remember 

I am not angry at Top for not sacking Rodgers at this point, obviously I want him gone ASAP however as others have also said, it’s easy to judge and make decisions when it’s not your money, reputation and professional/personal relationships at risk. 

Whilst I don’t agree with the decision to retain Rodgers, I do understand and respect Top, I do think the club can see its near the point of no return but at the same time I think they feel giving him sufficient time to ‘turn’ it around is the right way to go. 

I never want us to be like Watford, go through 3 managers a season is the norm and soon they are really going to struggle to attract a bright young upcoming manager.  

When Rodgers leaves and I think it will be in the 2/3 weeks maximum, as long as we aren’t cut adrift, we will still be a very attractive proposition, a squad that is capable of top ten and challenging for European football, a supportive owner who will give a manger time and support, world class facilities and a ground development and expansion. Lots that will make very good managers interested. 

It’s easy to challenge and criticise Top for not sacking him but in reality even the most successful business people don’t take this decisions easily and don’t take delight or pleasure from doing it, as with Puel, there will come a point where Top, regardless of sentiment will decide Rodgers is no longer the man to take the club forward.