Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stadt

January 2023

6 minutes ago, KFS said:

We just got comfortably beaten by a side who plays Dan Burn at left back, so I don’t see that as an issue. Have Castagne be the attacking full back and Blind the one to stay back and tuck in given he can play LB or LCB. Can’t be worse than what we’ve got.

Fair point with Dan Burn, but that’s an exception to the norm.

We play with attacking full backs, Blind isn’t providing that, and his height means that’s another vulnerability at corners if he plays CB.

He isn’t the answer imo.

Interesting that Percy is talking 3 incoming targets including a new centre back. Given the squad issues earlier this season, numbers wise and FFP wise, must assume the Club has some outgoings lined up and have crunched the numbers to make sure it is doable.

in any event let’s hope they understand we need first team starters and no more squad fillers 🙏🙏

• Like 1

I really hope we aren't allowing Brendan to shop in the Jan "bargain bucket" to fill our squad. 

Would rather we signed 1 quality player than 3 squad fillers. 

Must be 3 or 4 due out the door to raise some funds and allow space. 

Really don't trust Brendan to build a squad and I honestly don't think he will hang around to do it anyway. 

• Haha 1

Look how we go about our work compared to other clubs, it’s pretty appalling. Liverpool already have a player signed and will join on January 1st, whereas we will no doubt be waiting until Transfer Deadline Day for a last minute rushed signing. 

The hard work should have been done behind the scenes during the World Cup break and new players ready to join when the window opens. 

It always baffles me leaving signings until the last minute, not only have you lost the whole month they could have joined in but you lose another month getting them up to speed with the Premier League and/or the way the team plays. It could be 5 or 6 games later than if they signed at the start of the window and those 5 or 6 games, this season, could be the difference between Premier League or Championship football next season.

10 minutes ago, wattolcfc said:

Look how we go about our work compared to other clubs, it’s pretty appalling. Liverpool already have a player signed and will join on January 1st, whereas we will no doubt be waiting until Transfer Deadline Day for a last minute rushed signing. 

The hard work should have been done behind the scenes during the World Cup break and new players ready to join when the window opens. 

It always baffles me leaving signings until the last minute, not only have you lost the whole month they could have joined in but you lose another month getting them up to speed with the Premier League and/or the way the team plays. It could be 5 or 6 games later than if they signed at the start of the window and those 5 or 6 games, this season, could be the difference between Premier League or Championship football next season.

Players will be chomping at the bit to join teams like Liverpool, if we want to sign quality players it’s likely that they will hold out in the hope that a better team comes in for them. If we want to be top six then we players of that standard, we have to accept that at the moment we will be second choice to many of those players.

Fairly sure that the club don’t have a policy of signing players late in a window.

1 hour ago, FrankieADZ said:

would love us to go for someone like Evan Ndicka, isnt his contract up in the summer too

Hasn't he gone on record saying he wants CL football year in, year out which is ironic given the year he's opted not to sign a new deal they are playing in it.

The January windows we have spent money, the signing/s were wrapped up either in late December or very early in January. I think we are likely in for another month of frustration and if so the signings maybe stop gaps which I'd hope are loans but would love to be surprised with some much needed quality, without it and without Maddison we are well in the mix for relegation.

40 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The January windows we have spent money, the signing/s were wrapped up either in late December or very early in January. I think we are likely in for another month of frustration and if so the signings maybe stop gaps which I'd hope are loans but would love to be surprised with some much needed quality, without it and without Maddison we are well in the mix for relegation.

i'm a bit more optimistic - with Glover in place, and our record of signings out of the blue, I'm hopeful of a good window.

We also signed Tielemans on loan late in the January window, and I think Huth was not at the start either.

We've typically been quiet in the January window since being promoted but all the noises from the club appear to be we'll be far more active. 

Transfers in early?

“We’ve had a period of time now to know what it is we need. Hopefully we can get that done sooner rather than later. That’s the plan. Hopefully that can take place early in the window.”

Profiles of potential signings?

“Most of my teams have always had two wingers who are fast and can threaten the back-line. Left-back, we need somebody to come in, because we’ve only got Luke. We need more stature in the team. Clearly you need that at centre-half. The stature of the team we can increase. The power and speed in the front-line is clearly needed.”

Discussions with out-of-contract players?

“There’s been ongoing conversations with Soyuncu, Amartey, and Evans as well. We’ve been speaking to the representatives for a while.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

“Most of my teams have always had two wingers who are fast and can threaten the back-line. Left-back, we need somebody to come in, because we’ve only got Luke. We need more stature in the team. Clearly you need that at centre-half. The stature of the team we can increase. The power and speed in the front-line is clearly needed.”

By “winger” he means that instead of finally alleviating the glaring RW problem, we will sign some verifiably useless shitter (like Boga) who primarily plays on the left anyway, to serve as backup for Barnes whilst we continue to shoehorn players into the RW position. 

It will be the last of the three positions we address too, despite being the most obvious long-term issue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Transfers in early?

“We’ve had a period of time now to know what it is we need. Hopefully we can get that done sooner rather than later. That’s the plan. Hopefully that can take place early in the window.”

Discussions with out-of-contract players?

“There’s been ongoing conversations with Soyuncu, Amartey, and Evans as well. We’ve been speaking to the representatives for a while.”

Why on earth would Soyuncu sign a new deal after being frozen out for 9 months? Amateur hour or what. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dames said:

Why on earth would Soyuncu sign a new deal after being frozen out for 9 months? Amateur hour or what. 

The question wasn’t ‘is Soyuncu signing a deal?’ It was who are you actively talking to about a new deal. Very likely we’ve entered into negotiations, he’s not interested because his agent is ****ing about and that’s when he’s downed tools and started pulling out of challenges. 

Edited by KFS
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

...defeatist!!!

Where has all your fervour gone, where is the hope and optimism of the oft spoken about and less seen Right Winger.

Glover will be a game changer for us, I believe he will bring in a few quality signings, we are looking to kick on, not over our shoulders. This is an exciting window coming up, we should be chomping at the bit for the window to be open.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...defeatist!!!

Where has all your fervour gone, where is the hope and optimism of the oft spoken about and less seen Right Winger.

Glover will be a game changer for us, I believe he will bring in a few quality signings, we are looking to kick on, not over our shoulders. This is an exciting window coming up, we should be chomping at the bit for the window to be open.

I've never had any optimism about Martyn Glover, his track record is extremely nondescript / mediocre but that could just be the clubs he's been at.

I am hoping however as part of a team he might do well but I'm certainly not confident. 

• Like 1