Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stadt

January 2023

2 minutes ago, Shane said:

Where has the Fofana money gone? I thought our modus operandi was to sell players for large sums so we could reinvest it in new players 

Part of it's gone to cover the club's expenses, part of it to purchase Faes, and we just took out a loan over 40m against the rest of the sum that Chelsea owe us, to be able to spend it now instead of in a years time.

If we sell either Tielemans or Maddison in January, we *need* to bring somebody in of significant quality who can hit the ground running.

Coutinho on loan could be a realistic but still glamorous option - I'd imagine he enjoyed playing under Rodgers at Liverpool, and he probably wouldn't have to relocate.

Seems to be in a funk at Villa, but started brilliantly there and maybe a change of scenery could spark something mutually beneficial. There are risks but at this stage we'd be mad to not go in for a player of his quality if he's available.

Edited by LeePhilpottsBaldSpot

31 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

Part of it's gone to cover the club's expenses, part of it to purchase Faes, and we just took out a loan over 40m against the rest of the sum that Chelsea owe us, to be able to spend it now instead of in a years time.

I refuse the believe the club would use money accrued from the sale of a player to put into the infrastructure and not the playing squad. It’s likely we’ve only used a portion of the Fofana money to sign Faes. It’s more likely to be the wages that’s the sticking point at the moment, not so much the transfer fee.

59 minutes ago, JimmyC74 said:

Just catching up with the When Your Smiling pod and the boy Tanner suggests that incoming target planning pre-dates Glover’s arrival- It’s the same people they were looking at in the Summer and negotiations for the RW already underway.

Hopefully this doesn’t mean Boga - I read Bournemouth are also interested - and we are at an advanced stage of bringing in a real RW.

Hopefully whoever is being targeted is endorsed by the new Head of Recruitment.

Tanner suggested our transfer budget = the Macquarie loan c. 40m. Also some of the loan needs to be used in the Summer.

Underwhelming if true.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
35 minutes ago, JimJams said:

Why would Rodgers know all 19 of the other clubs budgets though?

Hed have a better idea than you or I reckon.

2 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I refuse the believe the club would use money accrued from the sale of a player to put into the infrastructure and not the playing squad. It’s likely we’ve only used a portion of the Fofana money to sign Faes. It’s more likely to be the wages that’s the sticking point at the moment, not so much the transfer fee.

The Fofana money simply covered the shortfall in the transfer budget from the season before. They pretty much equal each other out as I understand it. There was a 16 million shortfall the 2019/20 season and then we lost a whole load of revenue due to the pandemic and King Power were basically stuffed by this too.

Add to that we've allowed our wages to get out of control in relation to our whole turnover and been recording big financial losses in recent seasons.

Really don't think there is very much money in the pot at all. 

Considering an average transfer spend per season over time would be around 20 million I suspect we have virtually nothing to spend. We might borrow, especially if, as looks likely, we are going to be in a relegation fight, as relegation would be a financial disaster for us right now.

The wage bill will be helped by the out of contracts this summer but we really need to bring in 3 or 4 quality players right now and I don't believe we have the money to do so.

We have very few really saleable assets left now and we will need to sell those carefully over the next couple of seasons if we are to have a chance of staying in this league.

Any player over 20 million seems very unlikely to be coming to Leicester right now. We are probably looking at plyers valued 10-20 million or more likely on loan.

30 minutes ago, reynard said:

The Fofana money simply covered the shortfall in the transfer budget from the season before. They pretty much equal each other out as I understand it. There was a 16 million shortfall the 2019/20 season and then we lost a whole load of revenue due to the pandemic and King Power were basically stuffed by this too.

Add to that we've allowed our wages to get out of control in relation to our whole turnover and been recording big financial losses in recent seasons.

Really don't think there is very much money in the pot at all. 

Considering an average transfer spend per season over time would be around 20 million I suspect we have virtually nothing to spend. We might borrow, especially if, as looks likely, we are going to be in a relegation fight, as relegation would be a financial disaster for us right now.

The wage bill will be helped by the out of contracts this summer but we really need to bring in 3 or 4 quality players right now and I don't believe we have the money to do so.

We have very few really saleable assets left now and we will need to sell those carefully over the next couple of seasons if we are to have a chance of staying in this league.

Any player over 20 million seems very unlikely to be coming to Leicester right now. We are probably looking at plyers valued 10-20 million or more likely on loan.

Ah, it is a very worrying issue. I mean if the pot has dried up then we’re does that money then come from? Like you say we can sell one or two players but it seems at the moment we will be chasing our tails. Perhaps it’s a case of just hanging on and having a few very mediocre seasons whilst we try and recycle players and build the funds pit up again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Rodgers said we were 9th on budget last year. I imagine he knows more than a website that's guessing.

Also worth bearing in mind he said 'this isn't the club it was two years ago' which would suggest we've pulled the plug. Selling you're second highest paid player and not replacing him is evidence enough.

Our they realised overspend on players who aren't worth it isn't a good idea. 

We had a bloated squad a wage bill, sometimes you have to prune a tree hard for it to regrow healthy. 

Reminds me a little bit like the post Sven period, stop over paying and look for value. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Ah, it is a very worrying issue. I mean if the pot has dried up then we’re does that money then come from? Like you say we can sell one or two players but it seems at the moment we will be chasing our tails. Perhaps it’s a case of just hanging on and having a few very mediocre seasons whilst we try and recycle players and build the funds pit up again. 

Something you have to pause and take stock and come up with a new plan.

• Like 1

Madders/Youri out - to Newcastle (apparently).

Boge and Keane in.  Sorted - Rotherham away next season first game and Derby the Boxing day fiesta.

Bring it on.....

22 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Something you have to pause and take stock and come up with a new plan.

Quite agree, better that than make the hole we dug even deeper! Just hoping that a new plan is forthcoming and some action in the January window forms a part of that.

• Like 1