Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stadt

January 2023

What about Allan Saint-Maxamin. Maverick, but on his day gets you off your seat. Would be an interesting one. There is a young midfielder at Bristol City - Alex Scott who is also said to be very decent. We are getting closer to the close.of the window and still only one deal done. Ziyech would be another one. I doubt he would come here but a loan could be an option. He is a good player and very similar to Mahrez.

Why does it seem every other ****ing club in the prem seamlessly signs players yet we struggle so badly to get stuff over the line. It's so painfully obvious we need reinforcements, we have money apparently yet everything takes so long, it's painful.

50 minutes ago, Fox 4 Life said:

Why does it seem every other ****ing club in the prem seamlessly signs players yet we struggle so badly to get stuff over the line. It's so painfully obvious we need reinforcements, we have money apparently yet everything takes so long, it's painful.

Not really 3 teams in the PL haven't signed 1 player yet.

Most have sign 1 or 2.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Fox 4 Life said:

Why does it seem every other ****ing club in the prem seamlessly signs players yet we struggle so badly to get stuff over the line. It's so painfully obvious we need reinforcements, we have money apparently yet everything takes so long, it's painful

A lot of players agents / agencies are linked. They probably know we overpay wages, or have in the past. And don’t want their client sat on 50k, like they should be, rather than 80k.

I am again probably setting myself up for a fall but the times we've been left empty handed at the end of transfer windows is when all we were possibly looking for was a loan signing and you have to ask how much we really pushed.

This is different, we need a minimum of 2 players and we seemingly have £40m to spend.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JimJams said:

Tete will have to be done before you'd think. It's unlikely they'll wait for late interest because the 3 way (!) aspect makes it more difficult and a turn off for potentially interested parties close to deadline.

Yes, perhaps you are right - you would hope the process to complete such a deal is clear by now and they just getting it done - but it would still be a surprising one (to get over the line) if I am honest

2 hours ago, Fox 4 Life said:

Probably because you aren't monitoring every link every other club has and how long it takes to end in a deal.

• Like 3

On that note - second best bit of Mockery..ever

Q: It seems clear the club want to bring in a centre-back and a right winger this window, but going by the glacial pace of any of our previous signings, do you think this will get done this January? Also, what has changed this window, allowing us to spend whereas we couldn't in the summer?

A: I know City transfers can seem like they go at glacial pace sometimes but I think that's because fans are exposed to every moment of a deal these days, and so it feels like it goes on for longer. Also, I think other clubs take just as long to get deals done, it's just, Leicester fans follow these deals more closely and so it seems like they drag on.

and the actual best bit

Q: Who is responsible for recruiting? Does Rodgers have an input or is he just presented with players? If so, why are so many players that have been brought in spent so much time out of the frame?

A: Now, it's head of recruitment Martyn Glover, director of football Jon Rudkin, and Rodgers who come together to make the final decision on players. Once it's decided what position City want to strengthen and what sort of player they are after, it will be the job of Glover and the scouts and data analysts working under him to identify potential targets. Rudkin will then negotiate the deals. Rodgers obviously puts forward his thoughts on what he wants to help with his squad, because it's not good if a player is signed that the manager won't use.

Sometimes, the recruitment team have a greater say in a signing, like with Daka, Soumare, and now Kristiansen. Sometimes Rodgers has a greater say, like with Vestergaard, Bertrand, and Lookman.

I think most of the signings under Rodgers have been heavily involved, at least for a period. From his first summer, Justin, Tielemans, and Perez either were regulars or became regulars. I suppose Praet was an odd one in that they didn't know how to use him despite him being a decent player. Then there was Fofana and Castagne, who were both regulars. Daka and Soumare were both signed knowing they may take a year to adjust, and both have been more involved this season. Bertrand has been injured. Vestergaard was clearly a panic buy. That's the only obviously poor deal City have done, in my view. His style clearly doesn't work with City's.