Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

The Queen has passed away

12 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Not in anyway agreeing with him but the way people badgered/insulted/abused him after the comments is not on too. I dont know why people choose to get offended so often and need to highlight how wrong someone is - if you dont agree, ignore and walk away. 

For me it was more his thinking that he could talk for all black and brown people and tell us how to mourn. Fvck him. He doesn't get to decide that for the rest of us. I don't doubt his own experiences and that can cast shade on his view of the queen, but fvck off lumping all black/brown people in the same boat. 

• Like 2

Posting mainly because it's interesting, but also because it underlines how much we really don't know about her maj.

I probably come across as pretty disrespectful when I'm talking about the Royals but that's not really about the individuals (except Andrew, obviously), more about the institution and PARTICULARLY about the fawning nonsense that gets written about them in the press (and which conveniently gets turned on its head on a whim when any of them fall from favour).

This provides as much credible insight as you're going to get anywhere else, I think:

https://www.politico.eu/article/the-short-unhappy-life-of-elizabeth-windsor-queen-elizabeth-ii-obituary/

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

I am not surprised that so many people who accuse "liberals" of being thin skinned, woke and snowflakes... are suddenly calling for a mans head, sack him, lock him up etc etc. Because ...words

This has always been the case.

In the case of Sinclair, he has a right to air his opinion, he’s not wishing violence upon anyone, but he also likely has a contract about use of social media given he is a public figure and is representing his employer on twitter. I expect he will lose his job as a result of that contract. The average person should not expect to face the same scrutiny in my opinion, but it will happen. Most of us are morons (Sinclair included, imo) and people love to be offended.

The majority who moan about free speech don’t actually believe in it, what they really want is to be able to spout controversial shite without any consequences, usually for political or commercial gain. 

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Scotch said:

It's the hypocrisy that doesn't sit with me. A racist blaming an old lady for the fact that racism exists. 

21 minutes ago, StanSP said:

For me it was more his thinking that he could talk for all black and brown people and tell us how to mourn. Fvck him. He doesn't get to decide that for the rest of us. I don't doubt his own experiences and that can cast shade on his view of the queen, but fvck off lumping all black/brown people in the same boat. 

I get you guys but let's be frank, no one is looking to Trevor Sinclair to advise on why racism exist. Moments like this are very delicate - you are going to have people expressing opinions which are controversial. The fact is, one offends one may not offend another. If Sinclair is punished for this with his career - where do you draw the line - there will be other comments made in the future which are controversial to others but not you or those who commented on his tweet - do we get them sacked too ? 

The other point to note, when you went down the twitter thread, Sinclair has previously tweeted quite respectful comments on the Queen - completely contradicting what he had written yesterday - that to me sounds like a cry for help - he has since not responded to any tweets nor phone calls from his employer. 

Anyway, this isnt the thread to get involved in this - just think its a shame that being offended (which is such a personal emotion) is a thing. @StanSP I get what you're saying too. 

2 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Rather than stoop to the low level of name calling which shows a thorough lack of education why not look up the meaning of the word "speculation"?

You might also want to reflect on what a renowned newspaper editor once said; "Comment is free, but facts are sacred".

The irony of trying to telling someone they have a distinct lack of education when complaining about name calling.I’m fairly highly educated actually but let’s not let facts get in the way!

29 minutes ago, bmt said:

Yeah like watching/playing sport...... oh wait

You can still play sports?! OK one thing has been taken away - if that's the only thing going for anyone then maybe they should look at themselves and try and find some other joys in life

2 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I know someone who has taken a union jack flag and placed it in their front garden, that seems odd to me?  Surely people don't put out flags when a monarch dies...do they?

Idk, it’s a unique event. Vast majority won’t have ever lived through a period like this,I quite like the sentiment of showing pride in the flag she represented for 70 odd years but maybe that’s just me 

3 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I know someone who has taken a union jack flag and placed it in their front garden, that seems odd to me?  Surely people don't put out flags when a monarch dies...do they?...apart from the aforementioned of course.

I saw a couple of people that had put up Union Jacks this morning but it didn't strike me as odd at all. Purely just their way of showing respect after the Queen has died no?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

And that's how you get a constant stream of people through generations who think racism/misogyny etc etc is okay. 

If someone is being a cvnt, they should be called out for it. No need or room for it. 

Wouldn't have put you down as being a fan of cancel culture.

It's curious, isn't it. 

I would have thought that a sports enthusiast like the Queen would have wanted weekend fixtures to go ahead and the closure of non necessary profit generation to be the mark of respect.

Can't see her thinking postponing sport as necessary. 

17 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

I saw a couple of people that had put up Union Jacks this morning but it didn't strike me as odd at all. Purely just their way of showing respect after the Queen has died no?

Oh I'm sure thats why the person did it, it just strikes me as a little odd,  flags are being lowered to half-mast which i understand yet others take a flag out their house and put it up.  I have no problem with it it just seemed a bit odd to me.

12 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

I'm not a royalist, but I have respect for what she did even though she experienced massive privilege too. 

But this country of mourning stuff is killing me already. All I've heard all morning is shit sad songs and been told it'll be like this for 2 weeks. 

Now I don't expect them to play shiny happy people or something of that ilk but come on, people die everyday and she was 96 years old!!! 

It's too much!!

It's suffocating.

Went in 3 different shops over the course of the morning and Richard Marx - 'Right Here Waiting' was playing in each. Is that on the official list of mourning songs?

It's what she would have wanted.

Edited by Rain King

17 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

I'm not a royalist, but I have respect for what she did even though she experienced massive privilege too. 

But this country of mourning stuff is killing me already. All I've heard all morning is shit sad songs and been told it'll be like this for 2 weeks. 

Now I don't expect them to play shiny happy people or something of that ilk but come on, people die everyday and she was 96 years old!!! 

It's too much!!

Shame because I’ve heard that Liz was a big REM fan.