Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

The Queen has passed away

39 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I've been so moved in the last 30 hours or so in ways I didn't quite expect. Like many I wouldn't say I'm THAT much of a Royalist. 

About 9 years ago I had the privilege of meeting Prince Philip at St James Palace at a D of E Gold event. As a long term leader I was invited to be a "marshal" for the room in which 7 of our youngsters were picking up their Gold awards. My job was to marshal a group of 20 youngsters in my corner of the room into a D shape so that the Prince could hear them when he talked to them. The manager (for lack of a better word) of the room, said that the Prince wouldn't speak to me, he'd talk the manager and maybe a handler, then would greet the youngsters. There were 80 kids to a room, so 20 in each corner and my corner was the first he'd come to.

After a lot of waiting the doors were swung wide open and, completely unprepared, one of the most famous men in the world walked in with this aura about him. To my absolute horror, one of his handlers approached the room manager to pass on a message and THE ACTUAL PRINCE PHILIP TURNED AND LOOKED AT ME INSTEAD. He pointed and said "Ah!", then walked towards me, SHOOK MY ACTUAL HAND and asked ME about ME. The next 60 seconds were a bit of a blur - he asked if I had done the award myself, if I was a leader, if I had any youngsters in the room, what I had done for my Gold expedition - so intently inquisitive and respectful. Then he moved on to the 20 youngsters I had diligently organised and talked to them, and I could finally unclench my buttocks. 

He was in the room for 12 and a half minutes, which the room manager said was his PB, and off he went to the next one. He was 92 and still doing things like that every day.

It was such an incredibly surreal day, one that I will always cherish and one that my gran insists is the proudest day of my life. I can only imagine what meeting the actual Queen would have been like.

I was explaining last night to my friendship group from when I lived in Cape Town a few years ago. One is Swiss and the other American. I explained the ever presence of the Queen throughout mine and my parent's lifetimes, how my grandma was only 19 when the Queen was coronated. I also explained the fact that the British Isles have had a monarchy for longer than Switzerland and America have existed combined. How important it is to our much longer history beyond the British Empire.

So while I get the anti monarchy sentiment from some quarters, and understand those arguments, for me the Queen and now King Charles III represent the continuity of our history and our future. The Queen's final act was saying goodbye to her 14th prime minister and welcoming her 15th and final. King Charles toady met his first, and for the first time in British history we have a male monarch and a female prime minister. But most, the Queen and Prince Philip will always represent the idea of duty and service, something that I've always valued in my youth and adult life. I truly hope King Charles can bring those values to the role with the dignity and grace his mother did. 

Lovely post mate

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Admit it, Izzy, you're just a little bit in love, aren't you? ;)

To be fair, she seems to be increasingly in her element on the backbenches - gave Johnson a couple of roastings, a smart line at Labour's expense about there being 3 female Tory PMs, now engaging in quality standup comedy..... :blink:

Funny how some politicians come across a bit awkward when party leaders, but blossom after leadership is removed - the same seems to have happened with Ed Miliband.

Because they are trying to be all things to all people.  It must be one of the most stifling jobs in the world.  Horrendous!  

Fair play to so many in the Commons today.  Can't believe I'm saying this but I thought Ian Blackford also delivered a fantastic speech.  

2 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Anyone over the age of 86 has lived through 5 Monarchs. I never knew that. 

Yet, until yesterday, anyone aged 85 or under had only lived under 2 monarchs (only 1 if aged 70 or under)....

Edit (before anyone tries to be an even bigger smart-arse than me): If anyone of any age lived in several different countries - like Netherlands, Sweden, Spain, Thailand - they might have lived under a dozen monarchs in the past year! :whistle:

Edited by Alf Bentley

20 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I get you guys but let's be frank, no one is looking to Trevor Sinclair to advise on why racism exist. Moments like this are very delicate - you are going to have people expressing opinions which are controversial. The fact is, one offends one may not offend another. If Sinclair is punished for this with his career - where do you draw the line - there will be other comments made in the future which are controversial to others but not you or those who commented on his tweet - do we get them sacked too ? 

The other point to note, when you went down the twitter thread, Sinclair has previously tweeted quite respectful comments on the Queen - completely contradicting what he had written yesterday - that to me sounds like a cry for help - he has since not responded to any tweets nor phone calls from his employer. 

Anyway, this isnt the thread to get involved in this - just think its a shame that being offended (which is such a personal emotion) is a thing. @StanSP I get what you're saying too. 

No need to be analytical. Trevor Sinclair is an absolute ball bag and will never work in sport or public broadcasting ever again.

Edited by jonathan_ross

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Yet, until yesterday, anyone aged 85 or under had only lived under 2 monarchs (only 1 if aged 70 or under)....

Edit (before anyone tries to be an even bigger smart-arse than me): If anyone of any age lived in several different countries - like Netherlands, Sweden, Spain, Thailand - they might have lived under a dozen monarchs in the past year! :whistle:

]

Edited by Parafox