Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

The Queen has passed away

14 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Nonsense. Have you never seen post boxes with VR or GR on? In fact, some of the ERs you can still see are either of two Edwards.

I doubt we'll ever see a CR post box, Royal Mail aren't keen to promote letter posting, gets in the way of parcels (i.e., money)

A tad harsh, I feel. But yeah, you're correct, there are VR and GR on old post boxes that are still in use.

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

What an ignorant statement. Are you in training for a loved one dying?

Well yeah, if you know your future job involves taking over from your parent. I imagine there's hundreds of business people up and down the country training their children up to take over the family business. OK that might be due to retirement not death at times, but it still happens.

David Cameron said earlier he used to have regular meeting with Charles as he wanted to be up to speed with what's going on. Cameron hasn't been PM for over 6 years. He was clearly getting prepared to take over the monarchy.

Surely it's a little ignorant to think Charles has been sat in his hands all his life and in no way getting himself ready for the job he knew he would eventually take over. It'll be the same for William.

Just now, Facecloth said:

Well yeah, if you know your future job involves taking over from your parent. I imagine there's hundreds of business people up and down the country training their children up to take over the family business. OK that might be due to retirement not death at times, but it still happens.

David Cameron said earlier he used to have regular meeting with Charles as he wanted to be up to speed with what's going on. Cameron hasn't been PM for over 6 years. He was clearly getting prepared to take over the monarchy.

Surely it's a little ignorant to think Charles has been sat in his hands all his life and in no way getting himself ready for the job he knew he would eventually take over. It'll be the same for William.

I agree and that is a considered response from you. Unlike MPH.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Ah, that might explain why his hands and fingers are so puffy!..

Anyone else noticed that?

25 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

These guys doing the proclaiming events probably practice this almost each week for years waiting for the moment they have to put the process into action.

Least it's not raining on the public watching the Queen's coffin pass. 

Huw Edwards apparently practiced at home on a regular basis reading the news of the Queens death.

I remember reading when Diana died a cleaner walked into the broadcast thinking it was rehearsal for the breaking news of a Royal death, which apparently happen at the BBC every do often.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Parafox said:

What an ignorant statement. Are you in training for a loved one dying?

No but like I said he has been for 70 years.

so are you saying this is an isolated incident? There’s another one of him doing something very similar just before.  He’s known for being a bit short with his staff.

15 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

How Edwards apparently practiced at home on a regular basis reading the news of the Queens death.

I remember reading when Diana died a cleaner walked into the broadcast thinking it was rehearsal for the breaking news of a Royal death, which apparently happen at the BBC every do often.

Yes - think they do.

Don't want to be caught out I guess otherwise it would be quite embarrassing.

Apparently when the Queen Mother died the news presenter didn't have a black tie or suit  on and there was outrage and that was before social media existed. 

https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/the-day-the-queen-mother-died-and-the-newsreader-with-a-burgundy-tie-who-announced-the-story-157766/

I went to The Accession Proclamation in the Town Hall square at 13:00.

It was delivered by the High Sheriff, Mehmooda Duke MBE, alongside the Lord Lieutenant and Lord Mayor.

Well, trust the council to do us proud.

Just as it was about to begin and the crowd fell silent, a city council road sweeping truck slowly and noisily made it's way past.

This was doubly unfortunate as the PA must have been turned up all the way to one and you could hardly hear a word of the proclamation, not helped that the High Sheriff was one of the most softly spoken women you can imagine.

You didn't need a football tannoy type of address but I bet those who attended these in centuries past heard more of what was proclaimed.

Rant over.

God save The King

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Facecloth said:

King Call-me-Dave I :blink: Well that's a plot twist......:whistle:

Talking of Call-me-Dave, amusing little jibe from him on Kuenssberg this morning....

He was talking about all the ex-PMs meeting at the memorial service. He commented on there being a new member of the club now, namely Boris - and how he'd told Boris that this was the club that nobody wanted to join and nobody could leave.

Wonder what Johnson replied, if he has ambitions to leave the ex-PMs club in future? 

29 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Anyone who is over 65, naturally slim and has very swollen fingers and hands (edema) may have fluid retention. This can be the result of kidney or heart problems, and should be investigated. If my hands were like that, I'd be somewhat concerned.  

I believe the photo was photoshopped 

his hands looked ok yesterday 

• Like 1