Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

The Queen has passed away

42 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

hmmm the 1950s-1990s was still a time of "british" murder and torture in Northern Ireland... pretty sure the ordinary people (many of whom are still wielding power today) couldve done something if they wanted to.

but im going to walk away here, i promised myself i would avoid commenting in this thread 

***fail***

I was thinking more of the roots of the history 

Gotta love the tradition of it all sometimes...

King Charles then took part in the ancient Ceremony of the Keys, where he was handed the keys to the city by the lord provost.

In keeping with tradition, he handed them back, entrusting their safekeeping to the city's elected officials.

King Charles at the Ceremony of the Keys

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Wonder what that bloke shouted at the procession ?  He certainly didn’t last too long !

Just as well there was a heavy police presence to pull him away. 

Screaming “Free speech, free speech’ when you’re getting your head smashed in down a side alley isn’t going to help you out much. 

“To have the right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it.” - G K Chesterton 

• Like 2

From ITV.

“ITV confirm that on Monday 19th, they will be airing coverage of The Queen’s funeral live from 6am - Midnight across ALL ITV channels and streams. It will be the first time they ever air a single broadcast across their entire network”

Big  build up and chat afterwards yes  but till midnight ?!

What will there be to talk about?!

The clothes?

Reaction of the Royals to each other ?

Seems very extreme even for the Queen.

14 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

From ITV.

“ITV confirm that on Monday 19th, they will be airing coverage of The Queen’s funeral live from 6am - Midnight across ALL ITV channels and streams. It will be the first time they ever air a single broadcast across their entire network”

Big  build up and chat afterwards yes  but till midnight ?!

What will there be to talk about?!

The clothes?

Reaction of the Royals to each other ?

Seems very extreme even for the Queen.

It will be like the BBCs coverage of the FA Cup final in the 70s and 80s. Splendid 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

I don't mind wall to wall coverage on bbc1 and itv1 but across all their channels is extreme and ridiculous, you should also cater for non royalists and republicans. Everyone is entitled to free speech and their opinion. As long as their not aggressive.

Yes agree - will the BBC do the same ?

On all channels?

Most will just watch the actual funeral I suspect.

1 hour ago, Livid said:

Just as well there was a heavy police presence to pull him away. 

Screaming “Free speech, free speech’ when you’re getting your head smashed in down a side alley isn’t going to help you out much. 

“To have the right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it.” - G K Chesterton 

Was 2 members of the public that ripped him out the crowd & the 1 copper saved him from a beating tbf 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, foxy boxing said:

I don't mind wall to wall coverage on bbc1 and itv1 but across all their channels is extreme and ridiculous, you should also cater for non royalists and republicans. Everyone is entitled to free speech and their opinion. As long as their not aggressive.

No chance.

I’ve found it fascinating observing the way things have been handled. It’s not about mourning or reflection or anything like that. It’s been about driving one message about the value and validity of the monarchy and dumbing and quietening down the nation during the transfer of power.

The mainstream media have enabled it in cahoots with that upper echelon of society that exists of the monarchy, the church and the political parties. They’ll be rewarded handsomely for having done their part in the propaganda machine we’ve seen kick into action over the past couple of weeks.

I’ve not traditionally been strongly anti-monarchy but what I’ve seen in response to the Queen’s death has pushed me so far away from it. I’d welcome a genuine debate on it all for sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Free speech and right to protest and all that, but not in a funeral cortège. It’s a bit like when someone starts shouting something during a minutes silence at the football.

• Like 3