Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

The Queen has passed away

29 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Unfortunately free speech and the right  protest shouldn’t come with conditions.

I think that’s not reasonable in all situations 

Do you believe it would be reasonable for people to turn up at Johnson’s dads funeral (when it happens) and start protesting about brexit ?

Or is it ok to shout at the mourners today because they are making a public procession ? 

The question would then be ‘are these children making this procession because they want to or because the public want them to?’ 

if it’s the latter then surely it cannot be right to verbally abuse them  during the course of it ??

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Unfortunately free speech and the right  protest shouldn’t come with conditions.

A Peek Inside The Westboro Baptist Church : NPR

As with all things, it's never absolute.  There's a right to protest but also an expectation to demonstrating human decency by not interupting his mother's funeral.  The man is vile, but two wrongs don't make a right and all that.

Edited by Zear0
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Super_horns said:

From ITV.

“ITV confirm that on Monday 19th, they will be airing coverage of The Queen’s funeral live from 6am - Midnight across ALL ITV channels and streams. It will be the first time they ever air a single broadcast across their entire network”

Big  build up and chat afterwards yes  but till midnight ?!

What will there be to talk about?!

The clothes?

Reaction of the Royals to each other ?

Seems very extreme even for the Queen.

Sky will probably bring on Gary Neville and Roy Keane to talk about Man U.

6 hours ago, foxy boxing said:

I don't mind wall to wall coverage on bbc1 and itv1 but across all their channels is extreme and ridiculous, you should also cater for non royalists and republicans. Everyone is entitled to free speech and their opinion. As long as their not aggressive.

you could probably put BBC  radio 1 on instead…

52 minutes ago, Daggers said:

You see, I almost agree with you and was about to post something similar - expect that it isn’t a man’s mother’s funeral, because that would’ve happened in a single day and be done with…

This elongated shit show is not about respect, it’s about deference. It’s about being told how you should behave and what you should do - and everybody has the absolute right to say f*** you to that. 

Ten instructed days of your elders and betters telling you to be subservient and quiet? I don’t think so. 

This isn’t the same as cöckwands in Murica protesting army bases or abortion clinics, this is the establishment attempting yet another ‘in plain sight’ attempt to crush the will of those they see as not important. 

One funeral - fine. Stretch it over many days - **** you. 

Being older and better, be quiet! 

Edited by Smudge

6 hours ago, foxy boxing said:

I don't mind wall to wall coverage on bbc1 and itv1 but across all their channels is extreme and ridiculous, you should also cater for non royalists and republicans. Everyone is entitled to free speech and their opinion. As long as their not aggressive.

but seriously.. the wall to wall coverage is for ONE  day out of your entire life. Maybe it could be argued that they cater for non royalists and republicans for the other 364 days of the year?

if only someone had invented other methods of entertainment… maybe someone could invent  an online library of tv shows.. like you could choose from thousands of different tv  programs and films to watch. Or someone could design a Big green space you could go walking in…  or other methods of entertainment.. yeah, that would be good if someone did that!

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, foxy boxing said:

Several issues I think. for ITV is anyone going to pay for advertising up against the Queens funeral?  I doubt it, so they have a commercial aspect.  Then there is the effort of managing multiple channels when all of the best people are working on the main event.

We're all familiar with eponymous royal adjectives such as Elizabethan, Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian, but what about ones for the other monarchs?
Well, there's Jacobean (James I), Caroline (Charles I), Carolean (Charles II) and Jacobite (James II). But ones for William, Henry, Stephen, Richard, John, Jane, Mary and Anne don't seem to exist, although Williamite, Henrician and Ricardian are occasionally used in other contexts.
Maybe the new king, Charles Philip Arthur George, missed a trick by not calling himself King Arthur. Not only would that have helped with the adjective (Arthurian), but he'd have also become an instant legend!

9 hours ago, Daggers said:

You see, I almost agree with you and was about to post something similar - expect that it isn’t a man’s mother’s funeral, because that would’ve happened in a single day and be done with…

This elongated shit show is not about respect, it’s about deference. It’s about being told how you should behave and what you should do - and everybody has the absolute right to say f*** you to that. 

Ten instructed days of your elders and betters telling you to be subservient and quiet? I don’t think so. 

This isn’t the same as cöckwands in Murica protesting army bases or abortion clinics, this is the establishment attempting yet another ‘in plain sight’ attempt to crush the will of those they see as not important. 

One funeral - fine. Stretch it over many days - **** you. 

Nobody making you attend or support in any way. The show as you put it is extended because the Queen died in Scotland. Can you imagine if the Queen was taken directly and quickly to London without the people of Scotland having a chance to take part. If the Queen had died at Windsor or Buck House there would not have been the same process.

10 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Yes they should. 

There were hundreds of Burnley fans at the tribute to your late owner after his helicopter crash.  Would you have been supportive if any one or any hundreds of them had exercised their rights to free speech during the two minutes' silence, by shouting their heads off about Thailand, about football, about Prince Andrew, or any other subject they fell like speaking freely about?

It's all very well to say that if 30,000 people are present and 29,999 want to pay silent respect, that the other 1 has absolute freedom to shout his head off.  But what about the other 29,999?  Aren't they losing their right to their moment of respect?  

Great Post 

11 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Yes they should. 

There were hundreds of Burnley fans at the tribute to your late owner after his helicopter crash.  Would you have been supportive if any one or any hundreds of them had exercised their rights to free speech during the two minutes' silence, by shouting their heads off about Thailand, about football, about Prince Andrew, or any other subject they fell like speaking freely about?

It's all very well to say that if 30,000 people are present and 29,999 want to pay silent respect, that the other 1 has absolute freedom to shout his head off.  But what about the other 29,999?  Aren't they losing their right to their moment of respect?  

This is the thing. Yes, I support the right to free speech regardless.

Now that’s not to say that it comes without consequence. So if someone exercises their free speech to be racist then there should be a consequence attached to that use of it. 

Unfortunately no one has a given right to a moment of silence in the public domain (provided no one is breaking any laws by doing so). Believing anything else is condoning the right to control how people speak and act and that leads us down a very dangerous path.

Even if you don’t agree with what this guy said, or where he took the opportunity to say it, you should absolutely support that he had a right to do so.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1