Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

The Queen has passed away

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

This is overkill.

What's the point doing it on every channel? It's hardly like people struggle to get these channels. 

ITV1 and maybe one or two other channels would be enough.

As long as its not on netflix we're in the clear 😆 

4 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I’m no monarchist but I’m wishing Charles a long and healthy reign. Don’t want to have to go through all this guff again anytime soon. 

And if it does happen again soon lets hope it's during the pre season. 

No day off over here in Ontario.  Only the federal government employees will be off on Monday. To me, it's all or none.

Probably a good thing anyways  keeps the already struggling business community (mostly) open except those lazy bank workers lol. Appointments for medical care won't be cancelled etc.

Looks like this could be a start of change on this side?

Were going to the Capital on Saturday.

Don't expect to see the coffin as I'm not the most patient.

I'm not a Royalist either so I dont even know why I'm doing it??? Weird, I'm probably  just s grief tourist...like I've said before though she was alright out of that whole bunch of them.

Edited by Raj

18 hours ago, Houdini Logic said:

You're missing the important part of what happened yesterday - the law intervened. (actually there's another key difference regarding the subject and who it was targeted at, but I don't want to confuse the point).

This isn't a question of respect, it is a question of freedom of speech.

To carry on your analogy - if someone started shouting their head off during a two minutes silence, do you think they should be arrested?

To be fair, the law only intervened after a big Scottish lad yanked the protester off his feet.  Had the law stayed out of it I doubt the lad would have been in a position to say a lot more.

30 minutes ago, Izzy said:

No more bizarre than any other country really.

And I'd rather we were bizarre for the way we mourn royalty, as opposed to American's being bizarre for carrying guns or Spain being bizarre for killing bulls etc.

Brits have always been a bit odd and quirky - it's all part of our charm.

Not just us.

When I went down to London for the first test against NZ at the start of the Summer, it was Platinum Jubilee time, and I landed at Gatwick and got on a train packed with people with their faces painted with Union Jacks, UJ hats, flags, sweat shirts with big pics of Liz's face on, etc, all heading up to central London with me.

Only after a few minutes did I realise that a lot of them were French.  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/09/2022 at 11:37, Wolfox said:

I get the point the journalist is trying to make regarding ‘performance grief’

Mathew Pariss made a similar observation far more eloquently after the Manchester concert bombing…

I was just left with the impression that the author doesn’t like people very much… it’s a little cynical

I didn't find it cynical whatsoever.

It certainly was bitter, but in the sense that voicing the reality of how the Establishment, in its myriad forms, suppresses all questions about the validity of the Monarchy - at the very moment the questions should be asked, suggests suppression.

This has been the case - those who've dared to protest about whichever manifestation of the feudalistic, sham democracy we live under (and Monarchy is its flagship) have been cast as anti-monarch. A man calling out some valid observation about Prince Andrew's alleged crimes was arrested by police and mildly assaulted by a 'mourner'. That's suppression.

There is massive grief, but it's not for the real person - just as the grief expressed for Diana was not for the real person. It's for an icon. 

Both the BBC and ITV appear to have been competing to outdo each other in this "mawkishness". Extolling her Majesty's love of corgies and thoroughbreds seems to me to trivialise and distract from what's really happening. Just as 160,000 Tory Party members have decided, quite undemocratically, who our next national leader is, a man has been allowed to take over an expensive sinecure for which there is no real justification except as a 'rubber-stamper'. Even Truss had to go through the hustings to win her job. Charles III, a man who evinces more moral rectitude than his behaviour possibly warrants, has smoothly slipped into his position. Nepotism on a grand scale.

As for Paris - he's the fool who claimed he could live on £26.80 benefits, back when Maggie was busy selling off our national assets to private finance. I wonder if the eloquence you intimate him having displayed re 'performance grief' could be remanifested in some cogent comment about our current dire straits regarding sky high energy costs and the manner in which the already rapidly emptying pockets of the majority of British citizens are being cleared by the greed of those companies created by Thatcher's denationalisation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

There’s quirky and then there’s closing foodbanks, arresting people for saying things, forcing the country to shut down, flaunting the most expensive state funeral in our history whilst people are literally dying due to the cost of living crisis, etc. And we’re lapping it up. We’re definitely a few miles past quirky at this point. X

Just don’t try petitioning the government about it

43CE3F83-F9CD-40A3-B2C2-42B1254C4BA6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2