Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

The Queen has passed away

19 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Blimey a lot to unpack there, and a lot referencing beyond my general observation on the article…

I quite like Paris and observer / broadcaster, he can be quite insightful at times and certainly isn’t timid!  I don’t like his politics at all…   It doesn’t preclude him being eloquent though?

You’re obviously not a fan of hereditary monarchy, a view with which i have a lot of sympathy…. It really flys in the face of nearly every other principle I hold regarding meritocratic principles…. The truth remains that I quite like it really…. For me (there are very valid reasons to disagree) it doesn’t do any great harm and it’s a connection to a shared history and pageantry which is all quite nice and reassuring for many…. Economically it’s quite possibly neutral?

Of course it’s grief for what the Queen or Di represented (very few balling there eyes out new them)…. I don’t like it all and have a soft spot for stoicism, a dying character trait and one which i recognise in the Queen…. I don’t like group mourning personally, it sits really uncomfortably with me, I like people judging it scoffing at people for being sad less though…. It’s one thing to observe it as phenomenon (interesting), it’s another to pile unpleasantness and bitterness over the top of it…

Agreed regarding the media coverage, it’s been exceptionally poor and I’ve chosen to simply turn it off…. Agee that it’s generally mawkish in tone and overtly deferential 

I agree with you regarding the Truss election. it’s up to the nation whether they choose to meekly standby if they continue to get nobbled by this government as there’s an election soon enough…

Yes, your post didn't warrant that avalanche of negativity in response - I guess it just touched a very sensitive nerve.

I grew up in the fifties and sixties and so much propaganda extolling the new monarchy and Britain's inevitable recovery through industry and technology caused us to believe that we had a bright future ahead of us.

However, there were reality checks all along the way - hints that this wasn't a "green and pleasant land" after all, and that successive governments were putting their own political beliefs above unity and the common welfare that the first post war government had put as the priority.

Then Thatcher got in. Much like Johnson it was a knee-jerk reaction to a perceived indecisiveness and incompetence by the centre-right and soft-left. As ever, countries seek a strong leader for solutions. It rarely works.

Many's the time I wished the Queen would step in and put erring politicians in place. But that would have been spectacularly rocking the boat. She understood that, but I think there's always been a distance and aloofness exhibited by the monarchy to the people. It's the nature of aristocracy.

My response was the anger and frustration of any citizen who doesn't have a voice and isn't prepared to compromise their values climbing the greasy political pole.

Thanks for your restrained reply.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I am not sure it would have occurred to Andrew at the time that a young woman was not there of her own choice, or that Epstein was indeed as dodgy as he turned out to be.  Then again as we know Andrew is not the sharpest tool in the box.

Oh mate, a couple of your posts were worthy contenders for piss takes - but this one? Yuk. It’s a stinker.

He knew, he lived with Epstein for periods, he was complicit. This is known.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Oh mate, a couple of your posts were worthy contenders for piss takes - but this one? Yuk. It’s a stinker.

He knew, he lived with Epstein for periods, he was complicit. This is known.

Maybe you are right, but I can also believe there are people so entitled and used to have women available to them that they don't think about it.  That doesn't make them nice people, far from it.

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

What the **** are you on about?  The Government literally just announced 150Billion of help to make sure people can pay their energy bills.  The funeral is costing something like 6 Million.  Get a grip man.

I’m not very bright, don’t watch the news very much and like to spout wild posts on here without proper research. Thank you for your information. X 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I’m not very bright, don’t watch the news very much and like to spout wild posts on here without proper research. Thank you for your information. X 

Whispers …… it’s more than £6m ……

but as a global advertisement to promote tourism to the U.K., it’s worth a lot more than the cost of all this pageantry …..

1 hour ago, gerblod said:

Don't you understand that it's not the age, age difference or any other consideration? She was groomed by people who were, by nature, immoral and out to satisfy their own desires - not to respect her as a young and naive girl who deserved protection not exploitation. You're trying to justify the unjustifiable.

I don’t think it’s particularly about ms guiffre, there are no doubt many others (and younger) that we don’t know about. Lord knows what the consequences were for their futures 

1 hour ago, gerblod said:

Don't you understand that it's not the age, age difference or any other consideration? She was groomed by people who were, by nature, immoral and out to satisfy their own desires - not to respect her as a young and naive girl who deserved protection not exploitation. You're trying to justify the unjustifiable.

But able to be bought off, leaving everyone else to argue about the rights and wrongs of what happened to her. If you had been so wrongly done by and had the opportunity to bring those to justice who had wronged you, would you accept a cash handout to silence you and effectively drop any links there was to many other cases.   

8 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

But able to be bought off, leaving everyone else to argue about the rights and wrongs of what happened to her. If you had been so wrongly done by and had the opportunity to bring those to justice who had wronged you, would you accept a cash handout to silence you and effectively drop any links there was to many other cases.   

Depends. Would you want to go through a character assassination in court and being maliciously and unjustifiably slut-shamed by corners of the internet who would never believe you regardless? To say nothing of the fact that in a court of law the best lawyers win and he might actually get a not guilty verdict which makes things ten times worse?

Such things are never so cut and dried.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Depends. Would you want to go through a character assassination in court and being maliciously and unjustifiably slut-shamed by corners of the internet who would never believe you regardless? To say nothing of the fact that in a court of law the best lawyers win and he might actually get a not guilty verdict which makes things ten times worse?

Such things are never so cut and dried.

I think without that Photo we would never have heard of or from Virginia.  Which makes you wonder if there were others who don't have a photo.

8 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I’m sorry, but this isn’t right. You stating the kings brother is a paedophile has no grounding whatsoever. In this country having sex with a 17 year old woman, nearly 18 when the photos were taken meaning she could have been 18 when what happened in the US happened,  is not illegal, she wasn’t a child and from the photos everyone has seen, she didn’t look exactly frightened to death, I’d go as far as to say she looked like she was up for it. IMO she was after another payday to keep her in the lifestyle she was accustomed to. 

Wow.

We don't know the details of what's gone on but can we all agree this kind of an assumption based on photo isn't right.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I’m sorry, but this isn’t right. You stating the kings brother is a paedophile has no grounding whatsoever. In this country having sex with a 17 year old woman, nearly 18 when the photos were taken meaning she could have been 18 when what happened in the US happened,  is not illegal, she wasn’t a child and from the photos everyone has seen, she didn’t look exactly frightened to death, I’d go as far as to say she looked like she was up for it. IMO she was after another payday to keep her in the lifestyle she was accustomed to. 

A quite frightening post. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

20B424CC-1491-4BA2-91A4-39B46A9733F2.gif