Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

The Queen has passed away

19 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Someone pointed out to me that when you see general pictures of the queues, the vast majority of the folk are white.

However, when the TV shows interviews with some of those in the queue, they portray a 50/50, white/non white balance.

He's right, at least when I watched last night.

This is the case with everything in the media.  Every show, advert etc. greatly exaggerates the proportion of ethnic minorities.  It is though I think about the importance of representation, not the accurate %.  It is right that people see people like them represented.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Someone pointed out to me that when you see general pictures of the queues, the vast majority of the folk are white.

However, when the TV shows interviews with some of those in the queue, they portray a 50/50, white/non white balance.

He's right, at least when I watched last night.

A very rough check of a few random pictures suggests about 90% of the queue is made up of white people.  Which seems reasonable.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raj said:

Most normal plebs pay 40% inheritance  tax if over the 325k threshold, somehow they get away with it for slightly over that amount!!! LOL 

Given the nature of the relationship between monarch and family, if she were subject to the same laws as the rest of us, she would probably have used trusts and given away everything to them more than seven years ago 

the mega wealthy always manage to avoid IHT.  It’s very much a tax of the middle classes nowadays 

• Like 2

On 15/09/2022 at 08:19, yorkie1999 said:

But able to be bought off, leaving everyone else to argue about the rights and wrongs of what happened to her. If you had been so wrongly done by and had the opportunity to bring those to justice who had wronged you, would you accept a cash handout to silence you and effectively drop any links there was to many other cases.  

The fact remains that children cannot be expected to display the same judgement and resolve as adults.  People like Maxwell and Epstein are adept at choosing their victims - impressionable, attention-starved and pliable kids who will ignore their misgivings if they're given a shred of importance.

Remember, children are instilled with the need to be obedient. If that is not mitigated by explanations of why this or that action is necessary and with love/kindness, then they become robotic in their responses. 

There's a wonderful line in the 'Lemony Snicket' film when the villain, Count Olaf, is being upbraided for his wicked pursuit of the Baudelaire children's fortune. He reminds his assembled self-righteous critics that they never listened to the children when he was trying to dispose of them - "I'm the monster! You're the monster! These children tried to warn you, but you wouldn't listen. No one ever listens to children! You think you're innocent? You're accomplices!

I don't know about Epstein, but Maxwell herself was the daughter of a manipulative criminal whose example she probably thought was the norm. So it goes.

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Yep George V would be turning in his grave (is a crypt considered a grave?) to see the namby pamby state of our queueing …..

Why would he? People queued for him too, it's not a new thing.

It said on the news over 300,000 people went to see George V. Of course, Queen will surpass that, but travelling and getting to London to see it is easier now.

7 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Why would he? People queued for him too, it's not a new thing.

It said on the news over 300,000 people went to see George V. Of course, Queen will surpass that, but travelling and getting to London to see it is easier now.

don’t take the majority of my posts too seriously…….

most are supposed to be sarcastic - clearly I’m failing ………

6 minutes ago, String fellow said:

On the very day that the Ukrainians have discovered graves of over 400 civilians murdered by the Russians, the Russians themselves have said that we're 'immoral' for not inviting any of their political leaders to the funeral!

****s sake Vlad we’re already having to include a nonce without acknowledging the fact he’s a nonce, nows not the time to incite war criminals. 

• Haha 1