Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

The Queen has passed away

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I think it shows him in a v favourable light

the bits about him eating is weird but understandable given the dearth of  actual news about it all ….

I wonder what kept him going all those hours?

oh here’s a article from last year regarding the Knighthood that never came.

“And Becks may need to impress the Royals if he wants to be considered in future after some shocking emails were leaked in 2017.”

17 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

I wonder what kept him going all those hours?

oh here’s a article from last year regarding the Knighthood that never came.

“And Becks may need to impress the Royals if he wants to be considered in future after some shocking emails were leaked in 2017.”

I doubt Charlie will care 

he may have to wait for William 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

I doubt Charlie will care 

he may have to wait for William 

Do Celebs have to be nominated like everyone else or just picked for one these honours ?

Bit surprised the public were allowed into the Hall whilst the Royals were holding a vigil ..

Edited by Super_horns

8 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Do Celebs have to be nominated like everyone else or just picked for one these honours ?

They have to be nominated like anyone else. I suspect they will be nominated by their own publicists that are experts in writing successful nominations.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Bit surprised the public were allowed into the Hall whilst the Royals were holding a vigil ..

Same as in Edinburgh

lying in state is primarily for the public - nothing over the four days should affect that 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Guess this sort of thing was potentially going to happen .

Thankfully they were  caught  before doing any harm.

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/16/man-detained-after-disturbance-at-queens-lying-in-state-in-westminster

15 hours in a queue just to make a tit of yourself. Seems quite British imo.

19 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

15 hours in a queue just to make a tit of yourself. Seems quite British imo.

Knew it was possible, most of the nearest guards are pensioners. Looked like if you were at the Queen's side ready to bow you could take 4 agile leaps in a couple of seconds and you'd be on top of her coffin with the Crown Jewels. No chance you'd get anywhere afterwards however; those old boys have pikes and Im certain the actual army lads overwatching would be eager to conclude the situation. Best chance you'd be able to plop the Crown on your head and see if they take your orders seriously :sweating:, otherwise it's pretty daft, but you could see it was possible!

Respect for beckham is repeated re susannah reid …… holly and Phil are gonna have a difficult call re how they frame their apology on Tuesday morning……….

and yes it really does matter. You judge a person on their actions - you could say the same about the deceased monarch. She didn’t have to spend her whole life attending meetings and events (many of which must have been soooo boring)  - she could have done a tenth of the public engagements she did in her younger years and got away with it. And she continued right up until a few years ago at pretty much full pace.  how many of us would have undertaken all the stuff that she did with the wealth she had.  Of course she was born one of the luckiest people on the planet - but once she became queen, she too on her responsibilities to the maximum.  I would have been in the mountains and on the beaches, golf courses - doing anything I wanted 365 days of the year! 

Of course you can’t equate that with the actions of beckham and Reid but their decision to stand/queue with the public for over twelve hours and be in discomfort should be lauded. They could have taken the easy route. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sampson said:

If you judge a person on their actions, surely promoting and profiteering on the backs of the dead bodies of thousands of Qatari migrant workers, while being offered allegedly £150mil to be an ambassador to sportwash an entire nation is infinitely worse than skipping a queue?

Beckham is an extremely morally bankrupt man who would do anything for money. Far worse than Holly and Phil skipping a queue.

Out of curiosity, could you provide evidence of this?

26 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Respect for beckham is repeated re susannah reid …… holly and Phil are gonna have a difficult call re how they frame their apology on Tuesday morning……….

and yes it really does matter. You judge a person on their actions - you could say the same about the deceased monarch. She didn’t have to spend her whole life attending meetings and events (many of which must have been soooo boring)  - she could have done a tenth of the public engagements she did in her younger years and got away with it. And she continued right up until a few years ago at pretty much full pace.  how many of us would have undertaken all the stuff that she did with the wealth she had.  Of course she was born one of the luckiest people on the planet - but once she became queen, she too on her responsibilities to the maximum.  I would have been in the mountains and on the beaches, golf courses - doing anything I wanted 365 days of the year! 

Of course you can’t equate that with the actions of beckham and Reid but their decision to stand/queue with the public for over twelve hours and be in discomfort should be lauded. They could have taken the easy route. 

Beckham was obviously genuinely saddened - as were the majority of those mourners who queued.

I won't be lauding any celebrity who chooses to attend the lying-in-state - if their motives are genuine then they are on a par with those who came before them and those who came after them - pilgrims on a journey.

As for Queen Elizabeth's motives in 'working' as hard as she did, sure, she could have chosen to enjoy her position in self-gratification, rather as her uncle did before, during and after his reign.

Although a monarch no longer has to meet his (usually) potential usurper on the battlefield in order to continue in that rôle, there have been times when a monarch, specifically Victoria, grew so distanced from her subjects that there were strong calls for her abdication. Given that her son, the future Edward VII, was a 'rake' of some renown, the monarchy approached being seen as a superfluous aspect of Britain's national identity.

Elizabeth II and her father, George VI, responded to the idea of duty over pleasure with determination. But it's to be remembered that the institution of monarchy is one of enormous privilege and she and her family and forbears have never acted to attempt to assist to negate the ever present poverty and inequality which dog this sixth richest country in the world - a goodly chunk of which riches belong to the Windsors.

They are at the heart of the status quo - a wider network than just the monarchy. Her 'blessings', knighthoods, OBEs, MBEs et al, are/were, in a sense, gentle bribes to ensure the system was continually reinforced. I don't believe that was for personal gain, although her influence gave the monarchy certain dubious advantages.

Other countries have downsized or removed their monarchies over the course of the 20th century - with no apparent ill-effects. Indeed, Germany has prospered as a republic. France and Italy still exist without their monarchs.

We rely on politicians to manage our problems - some might say that our current huge problems have been created by the political system we live by. For me the monarchy is defunct with the passing of Elizabeth. Its prolongation under Charles means that the political system, which is in desperate need of modernisation (as are many of the archaic institutions which we blindly accept) remains bulwarked by his presence and the weight of tradition. When real action is required those who could initiate it merely tweak and speak. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sampson said:

If you judge a person on their actions, surely promoting and profiteering on the backs of the dead bodies of thousands of Qatari migrant workers, while being offered allegedly £150mil to be an ambassador to sportwashing an entire nation is infinitely worse than skipping a queue?

Beckham is an extremely morally bankrupt man who would do anything for money. Far worse than Holly and Phil skipping a queue.

I honestly don't believe he's bright enough to be morally bankrupt. But I wholeheartedly agree that this Qatar débâcle stinks to high heaven of most of the seven deadly sins. Anyone who associates with it who doesn't have to will be tainted by that stink. How many times can you take an Armani suit to the cleaners before it begins to fall apart?  

From the Mail.

The reason why the BBC is only talking about the “thousands” who cheered the royals in Wales - and zero mention or audio footage of the high level of booing. 

They aren’t engaging in journalism or reporting news, it’s propaganda. 

B63C27B8-7364-4B4F-9329-E6D2B0601541.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Is it over yet?

(Before anyone misunderstands this, I'm referring to the absurd fawning and media nonsense surrounding the death, rather than the sad passing of a venerable old lady, whilst also aping those in the myriad Rodgers threads)

Hang on in there. Two more days and then we can focus on the coronation. 

Edited by Zear0