Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

The Queen has passed away

8 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

The main one is the MBE for services to Rugby

The others are the diamond and platinum jubilee medals that most serving people get as a matter of course. It's a little bit American as you get them just by existing but they look nice all the same.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

It's quite a spectacle for sure. 

But we'd do well to remember the cost of this when, over the winter months, we're told there's absolutely no money to subsidise the public for energy bills. 

Amazing the money that can be extracted for the right person. 

I see your point but this is a total one off.

You just know there is a lot of money to be made in Queen exhibitions etc in the coming years, maybe that should go to the public purse or a hardship fund?

The likes of state funerals for former PMs and other royals should be privately funded.

1 minute ago, Nalis said:

I see your point but this is a total one off.

You just know there is a lot of money to be made in Queen exhibitions etc in the coming years, maybe that should go to the public purse or a hardship fund?

The likes of state funerals for former PMs and other royals should be privately funded.

What's good for the goose should be good for the gander. 

My kids will pay for my funeral and be subject to inheritance tax. They won't be billionaires. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kenny said:

The hardest thing is doing a Bible reading when you aren't really a Christian. Really hard sentences and they mean nothing to you.

I've done it,  and my skin almost sets on fire whenever I walk into a church.

It's a ceremony about someone's life, and a theological or ontological debate isn't what you and everyone else is there for.  

The person doing the reading is just playing a part, just as much as the vicar is.   

Just have to get the words out right.

• Like 3

Just now, Vacamion said:

I've done it,  and my skin almost sets on fire whenever I walk into a church.

It's a ceremony about someone's life, and a theological or ontological debate isn't what you and everyone else is there for.  

The person doing the reading is just playing a part, just as much as the vicar is.   

Just have to get the words out right.

I agree, I had to do it at my nan's funeral.

Didnt believe a word I was saying but I was doing it for her rather than me, sometimes some things more important than your own beliefs.

• Like 3

Yawwwn just woke up over here. Trudeau never gave me the day off so regular schedule for me. Start work in an hour.  0 commute in the home office, it's brilliant. My work couldnt be bothered to give us the day off but asked us to have a moment of silence on our own accord or if it might trigger us because of colonialism then to take time out and handle ourselves. 

Edit...trudeau gave federlal employees the day off but doug ford the premier of ontario told us to work and stfu lol.

Edited by Jattdogg