Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

The Queen has passed away

20 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Those moaning about the cost would do well to realise that the additional tourism that todays event will bring over the next decade will more than outweigh it 

billions of people around the world will have watched that 

I read earlier that the Queen Mother's funeral cost 8.3 million in today's money. I don't remember it well, but if the Queens today was double that amount it was money well spent in my humble opinion.

Just the way all the service people/soldiers/guardsmen etc  knew where and when to march  you can appreciate  why it took so long in its planning.

Gotta say overall it was an epic send off for her.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

I read earlier that the Queen Mother's funeral cost 8.3 million in today's money. I don't remember it well, but if the Queens today was double that amount it was money well spent in my humble opinion.

Could have cut it back a bit!!... say, by about £10m?.

... that money could have been put to much better use!🥴

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Pleased to hear dimbleby getting the Windsor gig on the beeb 

the boy has worked hard for a long time to get this - and at 83 it shows that you’re never too old! 

They had Sir David Attenborough on the other day. He's the same age as the late Queen.

Dimbo, good choice in broadcasts like these. Knowledge, experience and gravitas. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

And I would be too.

But that operates on the assumption that everyone will read into the matter enough to work that out and not just see (or be shown by certain media outlets) NHS workers showing a "lack of respect for the Queen" by working on this day. I think that's a rather dangerous assumption to make.

I have worked out that, had I not retired, my duty rota would have been me being at work today. Many of my ex-colleagues are at work. They have been given dispensation to observe the minutes silence and to stand down if they are not on an active call.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scotch said:

Especially when you consider the coffin weighed almost 40 stone. 

Jeez. The Queen was about 5ft 3" tall and can't have been much more than 9 stone. I know lead is heavy but, 31 stone?

Those guys have some serious muscle.

I had it on from 8am til 5.15pm. I can't say I watched all of it - but every second was on in background. Did ironing this morning and a bit of laptop work in the afternoon ....but I found the whole thing both comforting and moving

Now that era has officially gone, it's all rather sad isn't it? My lifetime covers Mountbatten, silver jubilee, Sefton, Michael fagan, Falklands, windsor fire, Diana, Brian May and Gary Barlow, olympics and general stuff like Ascot, Queen's speech and Christmas message 😢